I need your opinions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not think that it would make very much difference unless you promoted that the iced tea was a "special" price, otherwise I don't think people would change their drink preference over 50 cents. If it's a way to decrease your food cost to sell more ice tea, why not promote it?

DesertRose said:
Iced tea is the only drink I order in restaurants, and only if it is fresh brewed.
I hate the instant kind. Price is not a factor when refills are free.

me too, unless i order a beer. i hate the instant stuff if i knew it was instant
i would probably go for water. i really don't like pop to much except for once in a
great while.

i think it would be great if your trying to sell more tea it is well noted
it is freshly brewed not the instant stuff and definately serve with a lemon
even if not asked for.

good luck

Living in the South, we are known for drinking sweet iced tea. I suppose you eventually find out where and where not to order iced tea. Some places I don't like to eat (Captain D's) have really good tea, so sometimes I drive thru and get that only. Wendy's has good iced tea. I always order it in a seafood restaurant and in some other places, but if I'm not sure I order water. Tea prices should be kept moderate, even with refills. In Europe refills aren't heard of, unless they've changed in the last few years. Of course, iced tea isn't available in most places there either.

GB said:
I never look nor notice the price of drinks like tea, coffee, or sodas. If I want a soda I am going to get it regardless of the price anyway so it really doesn't matter at all to me. It is not like they are ever prices high enough that it would make me think twice about ordering it, unlike alcoholic drinks.

This is my view exactly!

Your prices are very fair. I do like the free Tea or Coffee drink with a dinner though, even if you build it into the price. Its nice to know this price is what I will be paying just a thought. Have a "MAIDRITE DAY " :cool:

As a mindless consumer I'm with the majority of the people here: I drink what I feel like. And when it's hot and I'm thirsty, that will most probably be iced tea (industrial stuff here unfortunately).

From a business point of view, if you do anything with your price, I'd raise it. Maybe things are different in the US, but here home made drinks are rare and (as everywhere) are of much higher quality than the industrial stuff. So if you take the effort of preparing home made, good quality (I assume yours realy is very good) then send out the signal that it realy is made from quality REAL ingredients rather than artificial flavourings. And that signal is price. Trust me, your patrons will enjoy their home made iced tea even more at 1.69$ than they do at .99.
The only way in which the .99 thing would work is if you're in a typical tourist trap environment and you're sitting shoulder to shoulder with a few dozen other diners and bars. In that case a big "Home made iced tea at .99$" might be the thing to drag mom, dad and the kids in your place rather than your neighbour's. Especially if you'd serve it also in pitchers for example so the entire family can enjoy cheap drinks. In any other setting it's rather pointless.

I have a slightly different view of your goals than the others. If you're trying to entice the beverage NON-drinkers into buying a beverage, perhaps it would help to put something in your menu to draw their attention to the tea (since it's obviously a high-profit item). Maybe a clip-on paper, with a little 'brag' about how good it is, how cold it is, or whatever makes it special. That way, you wouldn't have to lower the price at all, and it might increase their 'desire' to order something to drink, even if it isn't tea.

Back
Top Bottom