I need your opinions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
My husband and I are discussing whether the price of drinks make very much difference to our customers. Our tea is $ 1.29 our pop is $ 1.49...both have free refills. About half of our customers order a beverage on any given night. My husband feels like if we put a "special" on our tea at $ .99...many more would order it. My feeling is that some people order beverages when they go out...some people don't...lowering the price by $ .30 wouldn't mean a lot. So...as customers....what do you do? Would a "special" price intice you to order tea? Thanks so much! (I promise we won't fight over this no matter who wins....lol)

For the small difference in price, I'd order the drink I like best.

If I don't like iced tea, the price wouldn't make a difference. If I did like it, I'd order it regardless of the price. If I'm indifferent about what I drink, the price might make a difference.

Agree with Andy, we are not talkiing the wine list here where I definitely always look at the prices. But for tea, iced or hot, vs soda, the cost is not an issue.

Good luck, it will be interesting to see how this poll works out.

I never look nor notice the price of drinks like tea, coffee, or sodas. If I want a soda I am going to get it regardless of the price anyway so it really doesn't matter at all to me. It is not like they are ever prices high enough that it would make me think twice about ordering it, unlike alcoholic drinks.

I think your just going to end up loosing. I dont think the price matters like the others said.. all your going to do is that the customers that ARE paying 1.29 are now only payin .99 which means your loosing .30. So you would need to sell loads to make up the amount your loosing costing you more in product etc.

blah enough of a ramble :)

I'll pay the larger price for an iced tea that tastes like tea, which I am sure yours does. I do get upset when I am given colored water,though. I agree with the others that most of us don't check the price of non-alcoholic drinks, when we are out.

Lyndalou, I had written almost the same answer as you and deleted it. I suppose that is the reason I don't order tea when I eat out unless I know for sure it is good and has good strength. I've had some that by the time the ice was put in, it didn't look or taste at all like tea, like a tea bag in a barrel.The prices quoted wouldn't make a difference to me if the tea is good.

Is there some reason that you want to sell more tea? In my restaurants we price the fountain beverages the same as the iced tea. We also have fresh squeezed lemonade and since the cost is higher we price it higher than soft drinks and iced tea. We never get customers commenting about the difference in prices between the iced tea and soft drinks. We have a different price for bottled beverages (Snapple and bottled water for instance).

Iced tea is the only drink I order in restaurants, and only if it is fresh brewed.
I hate the instant kind. Price is not a factor when refills are free.

When I order a beverage I order what I want to drink and don't think about the price. If people don't usually drink iced tea, they don't care what the price is - they arent' t going to drink it just because it's on special. No one seems to mind the price of a beverage, They order what they drink. You will lose out on a very profitable item if you lower the price.

I'm with the majority here. The price of any non-alcoholic bev, especially with free refills, would not make any difference to me. Plus your current prices strike me as very, very reasonable (and yes, although I now live in a tourist town and have mostly lived in high-cost-of-living areas; I HAVE been to Kansas). I went on the road in the US for three years, five years ago (well I guess that makes it 8-5 years ago) and trust me, those prices are bargains.

BUT ... ask my husband. He agreed with yours! But, of course, he's never ordered tea in a restaurant ever, and never questions the price of any non-alcoholic beverage he's every ordered anywhere, period.

And experimental few days or weekly probably wouldn't break the bank and would keep the peace!

Well, it depends what geographical location youre in and what type of customers and food you have also.
I for one dont care or mind if the pop is $1.50 and tea is $1.29. 50 cents more..... or less makes no difference to me.

ALso, pop is pop. Always the same taste per brand.
Now tea isnt always the same. Not even close. I think you should keep the price the same but have a wide variety and VERY good quality teas. :chef:

Tea, coffee, soda are all inexpensive drinks compared to those with alcohol. However, I for one am not willing to pay more than two dollars for coffee, tea, or soda. Forget starbucks coffee thats just outrageous. It's just water with flavor. I think your prices are very reasonable Kaylinda and I dont think that dropping the price would encourage anymore or less.

Katlinda,
I agree with Amber, you have your price set, it's reasonable, I'd let it be..I always order ice tea when I eat out..Providing it isn't colored water as licia mentions..I love flavored teas and mango is my favorite..For a flavored tea, I'm willing to pay more.Most places here charge between 1.29 and 1.50 with free refills.The flavored teas of course are about 1.50 to 1.75 with free refills.

kadesma:)

I think your prices are extremely reasonable to begin with, coupled with free refills...? I say don't make any changes. I believe that some people simply don't drink flavoured beverages with meals and little will entice them to change.

I will order tea if i want it, even if it is a little up there in price...
but...
i dont feel as amiable, or no, what is the word...i dont feel as much of a patron to those places that charge so high.
for example,
there is this one mexican restaraunt that charges nearly $2 for tea;
i buy it, because i am there for the food and because tea is nice with a meal, but i have a greater sense of patronage and sentiment to the place that doesn't feel the need to charge for tea nearly what i would pay for several packages for it elsewhere, even with the convenience factor included (kinda the same sentiment you have when you pay 9.50 for a little bit of popcorn and soda at the movie theatre. --course your price isn't nearly as inflated....but the same sentiment :))

i take tea personally. and there just seems something more, um....down-home and appreciative from a restaurant when tea is more decently priced.

go ahead. call me weird, :rolleyes: but hey they/y'all asked! :kiss:

I agree that a customer usually orders what they want, regardless of cost. My sister always wants water, no ice. My mother-in-law wants coffee, several cups. My husband wants iced tea, lots and lots...

Around here, it's pretty standard for the "free refills" cold drinks--whether iced tea or soda--to be priced the same, usually about $2.00. Most of the places we visit offer a choice of regular iced tea or a "house" herbal iced tea (hibiscus mint is a favorite, and pretty common) at that standard price. We have swelteringly hot summers, and folks get very thirsty. They definitely take advantage of the free refills!

I would bet your customers are not going to change their habits for a price drop--unless you know that you are serving a very cost-conscious clientele, like impoverished college students. And even then, I wouldn't bet on it.

GB said:
I never look nor notice the price of drinks like tea, coffee, or sodas. If I want a soda I am going to get it regardless of the price anyway so it really doesn't matter at all to me. It is not like they are ever prices high enough that it would make me think twice about ordering it, unlike alcoholic drinks.

GB, agreed. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes!:)

Back
Top Bottom