"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aera View Post
I am really sorry to hear that about your niece. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this yet or not, but has she had a second opinion or been retested? Like anything else out there, mistakes are common. I think before any treatments, surgeries, etc, and for peace of mind a second opinion is necessary. This is my personal opinion due to my own experiences with the medical profession.
She had 2 paps 3 months apart and a cone biopsy.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #32
Master Chef

thinking of you and your sister!

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #33
Master Chef

Oh, Texasgirl,

My heart goes out to your neice and family. I had two pap smears 3 months apart and then a cone biopsy as well and luckily everything that was suspicious was removed. I was 30 at the time. They never found any cancer but I had been having regular pap smears since the age of 20 as my mother had died of breast cancer at age 30. Had your cousin been having annual pap smears if I may ask? My oby/gyn at the time told me that he had never had a patient in his 20 year practice who was having yearly pap smears ever be diagnosed with cervical cancer. But that was nearly 20 years ago and I still have yearly paps as well as mams. I know from experience with others that it is a very painful cancer to have and I hope and pray that all goes well with her and that they have treatments that can help her.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #34
Executive Chef

texas

how are you doing texas? I am thinking and praying for all of you everyday. Maybe that is why the appointment isn't sooner, so we get all 'prayed up'. If there ever is such a time? Please keep in touch so we know you are okay.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

tg, my prayers are with you and yours.

just a thought: could she get in touch with a local tv station and use their consumer advocate to "shame" some medical facility into helping her? especially since she has some funds available.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Oh, Texasgirl,

My heart goes out to your neice and family. I had two pap smears 3 months apart and then a cone biopsy as well and luckily everything that was suspicious was removed. I was 30 at the time. They never found any cancer but I had been having regular pap smears since the age of 20 as my mother had died of breast cancer at age 30. Had your cousin been having annual pap smears if I may ask? My oby/gyn at the time told me that he had never had a patient in his 20 year practice who was having yearly pap smears ever be diagnosed with cervical cancer. But that was nearly 20 years ago and I still have yearly paps as well as mams. I know from experience with others that it is a very painful cancer to have and I hope and pray that all goes well with her and that they have treatments that can help her.
My niece is VERY good at her medical and dental checkups. She always took very good care of her health because she has 3 young kiddos. She doesn't smoke, never took drugs and drinks very little and that is only on occasion. I hope that it hasn't spread too far, but, we won't know until she has her surgery. Her last one had to have been a false negative or it's growing that fast and I just don't want to think about that!!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
tg, my prayers are with you and yours.

just a thought: could she get in touch with a local tv station and use their consumer advocate to "shame" some medical facility into helping her? especially since she has some funds available.
Thankfully, she found one that is taking her. I did email one of our local tv stations and talked with the reporter that does the medical reports and he did ask if she would be a part of a story about cancer patients not able to afford the treatments. She is thinking about it.

Thank you ALL for your prayers. It helps so much to know that people care!!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #38
Master Chef

Please keep us posted, Texasgirl. We're all here rooting for your sister and your family during such a stressful time in your lives. You're never alone...........lean on us.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #39
Head Chef

What about the huntsman cancer center at the U of U in utah. Its just 10 minutes form me. It would require travel but hey they could help. i can get the phone numbers for you. My mom was a nurse at the U of U
Old 10-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #40
Head Chef

Cancer Centers Program - Huntsman Cancer Institute