"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

PF darlin', I'll be watching this thread closely wanting to be inspired. I wish you the very best!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
PF darlin', I'll be watching this thread closely wanting to be inspired. I wish you the very best!!
Thanks Kayelle...had a bad moment when I finished lunch. But it was just a moment...I got busy and it went away.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks Kayelle...had a bad moment when I finished lunch. But it was just a moment...I got busy and it went away.

I found mint LifeSavers were a big help in getting over a craving for a smoke.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I found mint LifeSavers were a big help in getting over a craving for a smoke.
This wasn't really a craving...I'm not getting those. More like, I put away my dishes and was a bit disoriented about what came next...once I recognized what I was looking for (a cigarette pack and lighter) I dismissed it, effectively.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

you are very brave. i have been smoking for 54 years. i can't even imagine quitting. i have cut in half in last few months. i have one of those little dealies to put a half smoked one in. fire goes out, and i can smoke it latter. each time i do that it cuts one smoke from the agenda. best of luck!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
you are very brave. i have been smoking for 54 years. i can't even imagine quitting. i have cut in half in last few months. i have one of those little dealies to put a half smoked one in. fire goes out, and i can smoke it latter. each time i do that it cuts one smoke from the agenda. best of luck!!!
Thanks for the encouragement, Babe!

I have a beautiful, huge Ashtray for sale...Tiara glassware, Lotus flower design in blue...actually I don't think I can get rid of it.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I am so proud of you! James stopped smoking around 6 or 7 years ago and he doesn't get sick with upper respiratory ailments nearly as much. I will be praying for you and rooting you on with everyone else! James was easy (for me), but my best friend quit 7 months ago and she was not as easy! I was with her every day while she was going through it, and it was a roller coaster ride!

James really didn't have a lot of problems quitting. He has a dream now and then where he is smoking. I think the hardest part of quitting, for him, is being left out. He is at school all week, and it seems the only time the other students really get together in the evenings is to go outside and smoke. He is super social and really needs other people, so that has been hard on him. But he has no desire to start smoking again.

Again, I am so glad you have taken this step, and I am behind you all the way!

Love ya! Barbara
Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you Barbara! I appreciate the support! Now I have to talk Shrek into taking me to Costco...need to walk around.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you Barbara! I appreciate the support! Now I have to talk Shrek into taking me to Costco...need to walk around.
Well be careful--I happen to know that it is not possible to walk out of Costco without spending at least $100. LOL My mom and I were convinced that if all we went in and got was a box of Q-tips, it would still come to over $100! It seems to be a rule there!

Barbara
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Master Chef

Good Luck!!!! One year I was moving ... and three different households invited us to stay with them, day here and there, over the move. Usually this is a GOOD thing! Haha! All three households had someone who was in the process of stopping. My husband and I thought we'd go crazy. All households would have had hurt feelings had we chosen to stay in a hotel and meet for a meal or drinks at a restaurant. But, heaven forbid, don't visit someone who is trying to stop smoking. One was my father, and he was successful. The other two people I've lost track of, so don't know if they were or not. Two of the three had the patch (Dad used it, successfully), but one thought the patch couldn't stop him and got really, really sick with nicotine overdose.

The real thing is that you have to be doing it for you; not your spouse, your children, your friends. Even then it is very hard.

I never started that bad habit (believe me, I have my own vice) because I watched Mom stop when I was 12 and decided, never.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you; good luck.

Oh, yes, it helped that Daddy is skinny, and he kept a jar of candy nearby.