I Quit!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have my support, Fiona. I haven't had a cigarette in more than 35 years, BUT I can attest that for close to 20 years after I quit, I still had powerful triggers that made me think about lighting up again. Thank goodness I didn't do that.

One "incentive" that worked for me was to put into a piggy bank DAILY the amouht of money I would have spent on cigarettes. It wasn't long before I had money for a trip, dinners out, new shoes, all manner of things that were previously not in my budget.

Just remember to take one day at a time, and not to beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon. Just climb right back on. Your health will improve, and that, hopefully, is a powerful incentive. :)

It really helps that I'm not even thinking about it that much. I can't wait until I'm taking it week by week. I thought the weekend would be tough, but it's been a breeze. Work tomorrow...should be even easier.:)

PF i'm on the band wagon with you... I've just recently stopped smoking, due to the fact that I had oral surgery and the thought of of dry socket scared me to death... But you know what, I feel good and think that I will do okay... I miss it, sure, but know that I can do this... So kudos to you :) I will keep you in my thoughts...

PF i'm on the band wagon with you... I've just recently stopped smoking, due to the fact that I had oral surgery and the thought of of dry socket scared me to death... But you know what, I feel good and think that I will do okay... I miss it, sure, but know that I can do this... So kudos to you :) I will keep you in my thoughts...

Good show! I'm with you, anytime you need help, just holler here! I'm very proud of you and you have my complete support!:)

I agree with ChefJune.
Because of all the years I smoked I now have a problem with asthma.
I also have the beginning stages of emphysema but my lung DR said that it won't advance any more since I quit. I do have a little COPD also.
It's a feat to go out in the cold and not have a problem breathing. My lungs start burning and I huff and puff trying to get my breath.
Your doing great!

I agree with ChefJune.
Because of all the years I smoked I now have a problem with asthma.
I also have the beginning stages of emphysema but my lung DR said that it won't advance any more since I quit. I do have a little COPD also.
It's a feat to go out in the cold and not have a problem breathing. My lungs start burning and I huff and puff trying to get my breath.
Your doing great!

Shrek, my DH, is on a CPAP at night, his father died of Emphysema and COPD. Many of my patients have COPD...I'm hoping I can avert some of that...but who knows, early days yet.

Thanks!

Day 5...had an odd moment at work during break time, wasn't sure what to do...so I walked for ten minutes...that was 1 mile.

Still no cravings, urges or jitters. Just odd moments when it feels like I am forgetting something...those spaces that cigarettes used to fill. I wish I had done this when Chantix first came out.

Your doing fantastic!
I wished the same thing you do when Chantix first came out!
You could fill those "odd moments" at home with a craft that you enjoy.
I did that and it really helped.

1. Write a memory book about you and your life for your children.
2. Hand write a recipebook for someone special.
3. Take up crocheting or knitting.
4. Scrapbook

Just find some kind of craft to do while your sitting and soon you won't have those odd moments.
I also find myself thinking when increment weather comes...man! I am so glad I don't go out there anymore!

Have you thought about your clothing?
Do your clothes smell like smoke? Air them out or wash them.
I am just giving you something else to think about.
I did some of these things and it helped get rid of those moments.
Being a nurse your probably pretty tired from your shift so maybe you won't want to do any thing.
Just trying to help.
BTW: A puzzle book helps at work too!;)

I am in the asthma category as well. In fact, I remember the day I quit vividly. I was sent to a respirologist because I had collapsed a lung and was still smoking. I coughed almost instantly when I got in his office and he didn't ask if I smoked, he asked for my cigarettes. I was puzzled how he knew but gave them to him and he threw them in a drawer (full of other packs). He said he just saved me money on cigarettes and cough syrup! I never did have another after that. My strategy was just remembering how awful I felt and how I was getting so much better!

Princess, you are doing amazing, specially with all the other things going on in your life right now. I am proud of you and am proud to join your cheering section here.

You go girl!

Quiting smoking is really easy, at least according to my daughter, she told me once: you'we quit so many times, it must be easy.

I am in the asthma category as well. In fact, I remember the day I quit vividly. I was sent to a respirologist because I had collapsed a lung and was still smoking. I coughed almost instantly when I got in his office and he didn't ask if I smoked, he asked for my cigarettes. I was puzzled how he knew but gave them to him and he threw them in a drawer (full of other packs). He said he just saved me money on cigarettes and cough syrup! I never did have another after that. My strategy was just remembering how awful I felt and how I was getting so much better!

Princess, you are doing amazing, specially with all the other things going on in your life right now. I am proud of you and am proud to join your cheering section here.

You go girl!

Oh yeah, Laurie...I quit smoking:LOL:

Thank you so much for your support!

Quiting smoking is really easy, at least according to my daughter, she told me once: you'we quit so many times, it must be easy.

I'm still quitting after each cigarette...just depends on when I smoked my last. That would be 1/8/2011 @ Midnight. :LOL: Doing well today, just keeping busy and I need to write another lesson plan tonight.

In two more days, I will no longer update. However, the thread is here if I feel I need the support.

Thanks everyone for your support, ideas and good wishes. It's all been appreciated.:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
I'm still quitting after each cigarette...just depends on when I smoked my last. That would be 1/8/2011 @ Midnight. :LOL: Doing well today, just keeping busy and I need to write another lesson plan tonight.

In two more days, I will no longer update. However, the thread is here if I feel I need the support.

Thanks everyone for your support, ideas and good wishes. It's all been appreciated.:)

Are you still on the wagon?

Thank you, I'm harldy even thinking about it anymore. Odd moments here and there.

I'm having more trouble giving up my fat and salt! LOL!

Yay!

I went cold turkey on salt several years ago, and after 2 weeks I started noticing the salt already in foods. I still use salt, but very sparingly, and I don't salt most foods at the table.

:)Barbara

I went cold turkey on coffee January 1, 2008. Man did I have a headache for three weeks. Now, I laugh at my DH who can't get going without his morning cup of tea or a friend who comes to stay with me every now and again (she has to bring her coffee maker--got rid of mine) and her own coffee. She drags around until she gets her caffeine hit. I discovered I didn't even like the taste of coffee--hence, the reason I quit. I do use coffee in recipes, but don't drink it (well, I drink it about 2-3 times a year after dinner at a friend's).

Back
Top Bottom