I Quit!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Luck!!!! One year I was moving ... and three different households invited us to stay with them, day here and there, over the move. Usually this is a GOOD thing! Haha! All three households had someone who was in the process of stopping. My husband and I thought we'd go crazy. All households would have had hurt feelings had we chosen to stay in a hotel and meet for a meal or drinks at a restaurant. But, heaven forbid, don't visit someone who is trying to stop smoking. One was my father, and he was successful. The other two people I've lost track of, so don't know if they were or not. Two of the three had the patch (Dad used it, successfully), but one thought the patch couldn't stop him and got really, really sick with nicotine overdose.

The real thing is that you have to be doing it for you; not your spouse, your children, your friends. Even then it is very hard.

I never started that bad habit (believe me, I have my own vice) because I watched Mom stop when I was 12 and decided, never.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you; good luck.

Oh, yes, it helped that Daddy is skinny, and he kept a jar of candy nearby.

Oh I wish I was skinny...:) I've been awake for 5 hours...doing very well and Shrek isn't throwing money at me telling me to go buy a pack of cigarettes...I must be behaving myself.:ROFLMAO:

Still, I'm smoking. I'm planning it to stop but, I really don't know when. Hope you'd be my inspiration and stop it totally. I'm starting to get old and somehow afraid of what may come to me. :)

Oh I know that feeling, I'm an expert too...just haven't managed to complete the finale!

Thanks, Andy...I'll be screaming for help.:LOL:

Actually, statistically speaking, the chance of success at quitting goes up with the number of times you have tried to quit before.

When I quit I had a lot of energy to work off. Lots of cleaning at home, walking at work, and I drank a lot of water ( still don't know why but I did). If you get edgy or anxious, get up and walk away, especially at work.

And remember.. just take it one day at a time.

I will be getting the patch or something else from my doctor in a month or two. I have been cutting back for quite a while. I used to smoke 34 cigs/day on average and now it's 8. That was my doctor's suggestion. I have tried the gum - it worked until I quit chewing it. I have tried the patch, but I had a reaction to the adhesive. If I try the patch again, it will be a different brand.

Still, I'm smoking. I'm planning it to stop but, I really don't know when. Hope you'd be my inspiration and stop it totally. I'm starting to get old and somehow afraid of what may come to me. :)

Talk to your doctor, see what information he has...I am loving the Chantix...This has been the least stress way I've ever tried.

When I quit I had a lot of energy to work off. Lots of cleaning at home, walking at work, and I drank a lot of water ( still don't know why but I did). If you get edgy or anxious, get up and walk away, especially at work.

And remember.. just take it one day at a time.

Yes, today, I'm getting through today. Shrek is still smoking, I was in his office a bit ago and could have swiped one...I didn't, even though he would never know. But, I would! :)

Walking away is working for me, too!

James had quit once before but a counselor he was seeing (after his best friend suddenly died) said she didn't want to smoke alone and talked him into smoking with her. Not very professional in my opinion!

I think one reason it was easier for him to quit this time was that as a courtesy to me he did not smoke in the house or in the car, so that automatically cut down his usage. And he was just plain ready this time.

:)Barbara

James had quit once before but a counselor he was seeing (after his best friend suddenly died) said she didn't want to smoke alone and talked him into smoking with her. Not very professional in my opinion!

I think one reason it was easier for him to quit this time was that as a courtesy to me he did not smoke in the house or in the car, so that automatically cut down his usage. And he was just plain ready this time.

:)Barbara

Nope not professional.

I've been ready, just getting my Doc to go along. I'm glad I chose this route.

We were always relegated to the back of the building behind the trash cans...now I can go sit in the Rose Garden in front of the Admins office:LOL:

It takes 3 minutes to walk all around the building...if I include the hospital, it should make it 10 minutes...I can do that in a 15 minute break time.:)

That will be nice, especially not having to hang out among the trash cans anymore!:ohmy:

I tried to quit numerous times before I was successful. The time I finally quit it was all about my mental attitude. I told myself I was done and another cig would never touch my lips under any circumstance no matter what. I smoked my last butt and then never looked back. It was not easy and still is not. To this day I still get cravings all though no where near as sharp as they used to be.

I noticed your language when you talk about quitting. You say you "I quit" and "I am quitting". You do not say you are going to try to quit. To me that sounds like someone who has really made the decision they are done. I think you will be able to do it. You seem to have the correct attitude about it and that, IMO, is the most important thing. I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

I am 8 years+ now without. It gets easier pretty fast!

I just kept telling myself I was tougher than a stupid cig.I went cold turkey at a Halloween party at someones mansion and just kept the ball rollin.

Once you go a month you will forget about it most of the time.
Be tough! I know you are tougher than a stupid cig!

You will also start to feel better right away.I can promise you thet!

I tried to quit numerous times before I was successful. The time I finally quit it was all about my mental attitude. I told myself I was done and another cig would never touch my lips under any circumstance no matter what. I smoked my last butt and then never looked back. It was not easy and still is not. To this day I still get cravings all though no where near as sharp as they used to be.

I noticed your language when you talk about quitting. You say you "I quit" and "I am quitting". You do not say you are going to try to quit. To me that sounds like someone who has really made the decision they are done. I think you will be able to do it. You seem to have the correct attitude about it and that, IMO, is the most important thing. I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

I've seen my Dad reach for his left sirt pocket, even after 30 years he still keeps toothpicks there. He does have a fairly keen toothpick habit:)

Still doing good...Just finished dinner. On the the next thing to do. I have managed to eat three meals today...I usually only have 2, even on the weekends.:)

Thanks for the encouragement, GB!

I am 8 years+ now without. It gets easier pretty fast!

I just kept telling myself I was tougher than a stupid cig.I went cold turkey at a Halloween party at someones mansion and just kept the ball rollin.

Once you go a month you will forget about it most of the time.
Be tough! I know you are tougher than a stupid cig!

You will also start to feel better right away.I can promise you thet!

Right now, I seem to have a sinus infection brewing...but I noticed it before I quit. I spent the entire time in the car this afternoon thinking about the times I had tried to quit and what seemed to trip me up...and then I realized I was obsessing over NOT having a cigarette. I changed my train of thought right then. Just another way to get me to stress over it.

Brains are tricky creatures. I'm waiting for my first check in phone call tonight with Chantix, this is the part I hate...having to "talk" to someone about it. I don't mind the daily e-mails, but I really hate to talk on the phone. I'm ditching them as soon as possible.:)

Thanks for the support!

I wish you the best of luck with this.

I have battled the nicotine demon for years. I'll bet I have "quit" 15 times over the years. Once for almost 3 years. I hate it, yet it is incredibly compelling. Having someone around you who smokes will always be the biggest challenge.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

I have battled the nicotine demon for years. I'll bet I have "quit" 15 times over the years. Once for almost 3 years. I hate it, yet it is incredibly compelling. Having someone around you who smokes will always be the biggest challenge.

Thanks qmax! Shrek smokes, but he's been pretty good about going in the office or I just go out to the kitchen.

Didn't sleep well. My sinuses are wrecking havoc. And my blood pressure is way up. However, that being said, I still don't want a cigarette and I'm still calm, I think...unless I'm manufacturing a panic attack.

You ae doing GREAT PF!!! You will be past the hardest part before you know it. Keep up the great work. It is paying off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom