"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pdswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 20,319
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thank you for starting this Lefse, it's making me think of ..no FEEL things I've forgotten and that's a very good thing.
__________________

__________________
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
I remember my boyfriend sitting at the bar in our kitchen in Malibu.
He sat on the bar stool watching me make an entire leg of lamb meal, all the trimmings.
We were 9th grade and he'd never had lamb let alone leg of lamb.
When the meal was done and prepared, we sat and ate it.
He was amazed at the mint jelly you were to add to each bite of the lamb.
He loved it and was surprised at how good 'lamb' could taste.
I remember thinking "he's so cute" and he's in 'my' kitchen.
He still is and he still is
__________________

__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
Wow----a partner from 9th grade still in your kitchen and your Mom hasn't sent him home yet?????.........jest kidding........that's so romantic, Lefselover..........leg of lamb with mint jelly....no wonder he's hung around for so long........:):):)
__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Wow----a partner from 9th grade still in your kitchen and your Mom hasn't sent him home yet?????.........jest kidding........that's so romantic, Lefselover..........leg of lamb with mint jelly....no wonder he's hung around for so long........:):):)
yea, he 's a smart man.
my parents always loved him so that's why he's still welcome
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
I remember why I started this thread. It was in the hope of getting you all to tell us how something made you feel or made you think or made you who you are or made you a better person or was a changing moment [for you] in your life.

I remember thinking we'd understand each other better if we'd pull something from the past and share.

I remember most everything in my life. My memory is that of an elephant, I forget almost nothing.

I remember talking to a DC'er not long ago on the phone and her telling me about her never ending memory. We laughed and realized it's yet one more reason why we really should be next door neighbors. I also remember thinking how grateful I am for her in my life. I simply could not love her more, yet we've never met. GIG
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #26
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,214
I had known of my wife for a long time as we both worked at the same hotel and I knew who she was then after many years I was promoted to Ex.Chef at the hotel and I was grinding meat in the butcher shop and had my back to the world she came up to talk to me and touched me on the back. With out thinking I rared back with my elbow an caught her right in the mouth. I was mortified, I apologised many times. the next day I sent her a dozen rose's and a card. Three years later we were married
I had her love and devotion for twenty five wonderful years. She passed in November 94. I still miss her
__________________
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
My long term memory is great----the short term is a different matter (different locations in the brain, I believe---one is home and the other is out to lunch)

as far as people who inspired me I would have to say my German-born grandmother (my dad didn't speak English until he attended school).........I think that I was her favorite.....she worked hard and never had much money but she and my grandfather owned their home and land around it......she lived frugally.....the chenille bedspread eventually became curtains.......old dresses became aprons.......she kept a pot by the sink and all kitchen scraps including egg shells went in it and that was fed to "Pal"..........my 2 sisters and brother were welcomed every summer to stay with them........bread for the week was made early Mon. morning before it became hot........bacon grease was saved for everything but the most wonderful treat was popcorn which she popped every afternoon while our cousins joined us and made fresh lemonade.......but the most wonderful thing that I inherited from her was her love of nature and flowers........she loved her garden and I learned so much from her...roses were her favorite and she had a beautiful old green glass pitcher that she would arrange her yellow roses in........you know, they tell you to go to a "safe place" when you feel stressed in your mind and mine is her backyard with the roses, petunias, hollyhocks, bachelor's buttons, etc., and her gorgeous butterfly bush "tree"-----and her .............
__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #28
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I had known of my wife for a long time as we both worked at the same hotel and I knew who she was then after many years I was promoted to Ex.Chef at the hotel and I was grinding meat in the butcher shop and had my back to the world she came up to talk to me and touched me on the back. With out thinking I rared back with my elbow an caught her right in the mouth. I was mortified, I apologised many times. the next day I sent her a dozen rose's and a card. Three years later we were married
I had her love and devotion for twenty five wonderful years. She passed in November 94. I still miss her
Your story is beautiful Dave. how much you loved her is priceless, did she ever recover from that thump? *winking......
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
My long term memory is great----the short term is a different matter (different locations in the brain, I believe---one is home and the other is out to lunch)...as far as people who inspired me I would have to say my German-born grandmother (my dad didn't speak English until he attended school).........I think that I was her favorite.....she worked hard and never had much money but she and my grandfather owned their home and land around it......she lived frugally.....the chenille bedspread eventually became curtains.......old dresses became aprons.......she kept a pot by the sink and all kitchen scraps including egg shells went in it and that was fed to "Pal"..........my 2 sisters and brother were welcomed every summer to stay with them........bread for the week was made early Mon. morning before it became hot........bacon grease was saved for everything but the most wonderful treat was popcorn which she popped every afternoon while our cousins joined us and made fresh lemonade.......but the most wonderful thing that I inherited from her was her love of nature and flowers........she loved her garden and I learned so much from her...roses were her favorite and she had a beautiful old green glass pitcher that she would arrange her yellow roses in........you know, they tell you to go to a "safe place" when you feel stressed in your mind and mine is her backyard with the roses, petunias, hollyhocks, bachelor's buttons, etc., and her gorgeous butterfly bush "tree"-----and her .............
I simply adore this story expatgirl. I can 'see' what you spoke of in my minds eye. Very nice thank you for sharing, see, we all feel better from reading that, at least I know I do.......
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
I remember all the times I had and have that very long drive home from work. Wee hours of the night, not slept in days and didnt' think I could make it. When I'm really tired, I drive really slowly. I'd look at the speed I was driving wondering when I'd arrive home and think, at this rate going 37 miles an hour on the freeway, I'll never get home. So tired.
I remember the very thing that gets me through those long arduous drives. My own story telling to me. I'd think of a favorite story of mine, turn off the radio, retell my story to me, and then I'd be done with the story and I'd be home. Home sweet home and safe too and into the loving arms of my adoration...
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
I remember, how it feels to step out of the shadows,leaving behind the moving wall, the thing that was trying to smother me, the horrors that wanted to get me, looking up and seeing my little girl sleeping in a chair beside my hospital bed...I guess my breathing which had been heavy and was now quiet, woke her..She look back at me and tears ran down her face..You see she had been in that chair without leaving for 2 days..
I remember how much I loved her then
I remember how good it felt to be moved to a quiet room of my own
I remember the joy of having my whole family surround me
I remember some wonderful cards from my DC friends
I remember to be grateful each and every day
kadesma
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.