I remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know........we've all left footprints in the sand.......and we meander here and there.....that's what you do on the beach of life........pick up this seashell and that (life's experiences)........but in the end we all end up at the same shore........we will all eventually go out with the tide...............I'm glad that y'all are in my shore crew.......

you know........we've all left footprints in the sand.......and we meander here and there.....that's what you do on the beach of life........pick up this seashell and that (life's experiences)........but in the end we all end up at the same shore........we will all eventually go out with the tide...............I'm glad that y'all are in my shore crew.......
I remember thinking just now, something very special about {{{you}}}..........

Thanks, Lefselover........sorta came over me.......the friendship and comraderie and love and concern here is just overwhelming at times..........and it comes in the most unexpected places and times, too............

you're special too, LL, in more ways than one........

Please, everyone, just bypass us and keep posting on this thread............don't want to be the dreaded thread killer..............:):)

I remember the first time my pastry chef grammie made her famous lemon meringue pie for one of our many family meals there at their house. They were sights to behold always and the comments that followed our bites were always high praises. This one night however, as grammie was getting up in age, her pie wasn't the same. Too tart for human consumption by far. Someone finally got up the nerve to ask what was different about her pie and when she tasted it with confidence, she said in her little Norwegian accent, "My My, I must have forgotten the sugar".....
I loved her sweet spirit and very timid self, she was so quiet, scared of her own shadow and barely spoke but soooooo very beautiful.

I remember Grandma and Grandpas house. The smells were always wonderful. Grandpa was a baker by trade, but make no mistake about it-the kitchen belonged to Grandma!!!

Such wonderful memories of delicious traditional Czech dishes-Duck and dumplings, roast pork, saurkraut, and plates filled with Kolaches!!

Whatever happened to "Sunday Dinner" ??

I remember Grandma and Grandpas house. The smells were always wonderful. Grandpa was a baker by trade, but make no mistake about it-the kitchen belonged to Grandma!!!

Such wonderful memories of delicious traditional Czech dishes-Duck and dumplings, roast pork, saurkraut, and plates filled with Kolaches!!

Whatever happened to "Sunday Dinner" ??
It's alive and well at my home.
kadesma;)

I remember when my first grandchild was born and I got to hold her in the hospital Sept. 30, 1988
I remember being with my mother when she died in the hospital Jan. 8, 1988 , same year my grandchild was born.

Grandpa made a dish cabinet for my Grandma out of pine and 80 years later I can still recall that smell of opening the doors.......wished that I could have inherited it.....dream on........I remember buying a an old Singer sewing machine as it was being wheeled down the ramp cause it looked just like my Grandma's and I knew I would never get hers..though she said that I could have it.........noone would have honored her request anyway.......but y'all know family dynamics........that's the way it goes..........I knew what was going to happen so I bought the Singer right then and there............another antique dealer was mad at me........

I remember that times used to be easier.
I remember the smell of Pennsylvania Scrapple walking into MIL's house.
I remember the first time DH kissed me, ok, so I kissed him first.
I remember my name being called, I was ecstatic.
I remember having to audition for this singing group thinking surely I'd die.
I remember what my GS said to me while he was eating his lunch that I'd just prepared for him, 3 years old, no one home but he and I, sweetest words I ever heard. I remember asking him if I'd told him I loved him that day. His reply, "you tell me that all the time Grammie."
I remember my sons two heads on my lap, watching the Lakers on TV, waiting for their dad to get home from work so we could eat dinner, stroking both their blond heads while thinking all the while, life does not get any better than this.

you're so right ........a child or grandchild on your lap affirms all your faith and love.....you're the protective one.......and they will remember many years later......I still remember my grandmother laying down with us and me wiggling around (was never one to fall asleep immediately and she would shake me to be still) and it wasn't long before I was gone.........still remember this 45 years later.........goodness......is this long term memory week????

I haven't read all of these, but want to add my two cents. One Thanksgiving my very best friend and I, in Wiesbaden, convinced our parents to "do" Thanksgiving together. My dad was enlisted, hers officer, which was a nono in those days. BUT both our families were of strong French Canadian background, and had a lot of other things in common. The fest was held at my house, and our parents promised us girls a sleepover at her house (I use the word house loosely, we all lived in military housing apartments) IF we did the clean up. She and I (we were maybe 12) worked our tails off. The point of the story is that I was SO happy. She and I were lying there that night, and I closed my eyes and said to myself (an insomniac even then) "I am SO happy, I want to remember this moment forever." I still do that trick when someone or something great happens to me. I close my eyes and tell myself that I want to remember it forever. To hold that feeling in my mind and heart, and let it block out what might go on in my life that isn't pleasant.

Well, Claire, that's your safe memory......anytime you feel really stressed you go back to that wonderful memory........and you'd be surprised at how it brings the stress and BP down.......mine is being with my grandmother in her garden......

you're so right ........a child or grandchild on your lap affirms all your faith and love.....you're the protective one.......and they will remember many years later......I still remember my grandmother laying down with us and me wiggling around (was never one to fall asleep immediately and she would shake me to be still) and it wasn't long before I was gone.........still remember this 45 years later.........goodness......is this long term memory week????
I have the longest memory EVER:ROFLMAO:

Well, Claire, that's your safe memory......anytime you feel really stressed you go back to that wonderful memory........and you'd be surprised at how it brings the stress and BP down.......mine is being with my grandmother in her garden......
You're a smart girl there lady.
That's exactly why I started this thread.

I haven't read all of these, but want to add my two cents. One Thanksgiving my very best friend and I, in Wiesbaden, convinced our parents to "do" Thanksgiving together. My dad was enlisted, hers officer, which was a nono in those days. BUT both our families were of strong French Canadian background, and had a lot of other things in common. The fest was held at my house, and our parents promised us girls a sleepover at her house (I use the word house loosely, we all lived in military housing apartments) IF we did the clean up. She and I (we were maybe 12) worked our tails off. The point of the story is that I was SO happy. She and I were lying there that night, and I closed my eyes and said to myself (an insomniac even then) "I am SO happy, I want to remember this moment forever." I still do that trick when someone or something great happens to me. I close my eyes and tell myself that I want to remember it forever. To hold that feeling in my mind and heart, and let it block out what might go on in my life that isn't pleasant.
I love this story, Claire. What a great way to go to sleep. I'm going to teach it to Fisher because it will make me happy knowing he's thinking about his favorite moments as he drifts off to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom