"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Everytime, The Traveling Apron is mentioned, I feel a group hug coming on!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Everymom

Here is my blue poppy. Do you know if there is any prohibition about sending seeds in the mail? And yes, Alberta and Wisconsin have very similar growing seasons jmediger, send me your address via PM and when the seed pod is mature I'll mail you some seeds. A warning though, they are TOUGH to get started.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't think there is a problem with sending seeds in the mail. The problem is, you have to know for sure about what you are sending. Some plants are not legal in certain areas. Just think about the kudzu mess in the south if you're not sure why. Also some plant diseases. Most plants aren't a problem though. Whoever you are sending it to should check with the local agricultural department.

This reminds me of a woman I read about in the news several years ago. She traveled all over the world and for souvenirs she collected vials of dirt from different countries. It turned out she wasn't able to do that because of the bacteria in dirt. Same reason you can't drink the water in another country and the natives can--the bacteria they are used to is not the bacteria you are used to.

Barbara
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

I once lived in the land of no tomatoes--Ely Minnesota. An Indiana friend mailed me a big box of tomatoes.

The postmaster asked me, please, don't do that again. (They were more than a little juicy by the time they got to me.)
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #15
DC Grandma

When Paul worked at the Post Office they had a lot of strange packages..shipments of baby chicks that broke open..crickets all over the floor, people coming in to pick a URN and ask " what is this" and Paul would say "don't you mean "who was this?" LOL
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Hello Lefselover

U can send people your address and phone number, by private message, cant u?

Yeah, I know, what having so much of one thing, and then wishing I had more of something else, to go with it is like. But, I think swapping would only be practical, for those who live close to each other.

Mel
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
. We are going to have zucchini out our behinds this year so anyone who wants them - let me know!
now, don't everyone jump at once!

umm, can i get one straight from the plant?

lol, j/k jmediger.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix:

One type of poppy provides the raw material for the morphine family of drugs. Hope they don't sniff out your seeds and send swat teams.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Alix:

One type of poppy provides the raw material for the morphine family of drugs. Hope they don't sniff out your seeds and send swat teams.
That's what I was thinking.

Actually, I believe ALL poppies produce opiates of varying strength. One common topic that comes up frequently in restaurants, is that poppyseeds (used in baking) will show up on a drug test. Heck, I just talked about that last night with a waitress.

My family and I have a small, informal co-op running. Although I've never been on the "giving" end, if I ever produce or acquire a large amount of food, I'll definitely share the wealth with my family.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
...umm, can i get one straight from the plant? ...
I don't know ... we had some behind one's last night and they were pretty tastey!

Who ever wants them, I will only pick the ones overflowing from the garden ... Send me your address ... Wisconsin to Jersey - 2 day shipping, should be fine.