"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Executive Chef

..."good goll, is that you, I mean really you? How long's it been? Not over a year right? You look swell, how 'bout me?" In horror, I try to mentally disappear, but, he's caught me before the great escape, now what do I do?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

I smiled sweetly and started to respond, then craned my neck to look into the distance and shouted "Oh my gosh, is that Garren over there?"

He swiveled to look and I said in a disappointed voice, "No, I guess it's not." I didn't have to feign disappointment. Where was he? "Listen, Neil, would you do me a favor? Would you meander over to the Amigos room and see if Garren is in there? I'm getting worried about him."

He returned almost immediately with a stricken look on his face. "You're not going to believe this," he said.......

Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

"The bartender told me Garren has been arrested!"
"Whatever for!" I shouted.
Neil could only look at the floor as he said under his breath, "soliciting and drugs."
I was about to faint and sat down quickly. Suddenly, ...
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

it became all to clear. The late night rendezvous, the calls at all hours of the day, the suddent trips to Columbia. How could I have been so clueless? I was jsut aneasy alibi for Garren. But I still love him so. Even though it appears he's been using me, how can I discount all those romantic getaways, and the way he made me feel so special. No one has ever treated my like a queen before Garren. In some ways, I have him to thank for my current self confidence. Before Garren I would never have had the courage to ask for that promotion at work. I would never have thought about sending my manuscript to a publisher. Now, with my first novel about to debut, I thought we were finally in place where we could get married and settle down, start a family. But just my luck, he turns out to be a scam artist! Marti seems equally suprised by this news of Garren's nephareous activities. How could he have kept this from his sister? Maybe he...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

...already told her. I can't think about her knowing all this time, no, that couldn't be, maybe he's a master manipulator. All of this time, I thought I knew him so well. How could he have kept something like this from me? I'm his confidant. Or so I thought, what else is there? How can I live like this?

Where will I find the strength, where will he? Maybe, before my mind goes in full panic, I'd better...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

...sit and have that drink and calm down.

Just as my heart finally begins to slow down, I glance over at Marti. She looks like someone has just hit her in the back of the head with a bag of bricks. I knew then that Marti had no idea what was going on with Garren.

"Marti, come sit with me," I gently prod. Marti sits down with a loud and long sigh. She looks so confused. As the tears begin to fall, she whimpers...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
Head Chef

"I have to get in touch with Fred. He's our only hope. If it weren't for him, none of this would have happened."

I was flummoxed. What did she mean? What did Fred have to do with it? And how could she get in touch with him?

"Marti," I said, putting my hand on her arm to comfort her (and steady myself), "You need to be honest with me. Clearly, there's alot going on here that I don't know about, and I can't help if you don't tell me."

She gulped and wiped a tear from her face. "Garren always knew this could happen. The work we do is dangerous and we were always told that if we got caught, we would be disavowed."

"Disavowed! By whom."

She took a drink from my margarita. "Well, the government, I think. Only Fred knows for sure. We get our orders from him"

Just then, her cell phone rang............
Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Master Chef

it was him.
she wiped a tear and sniffled before she answered.
a hesitant, 'hello'... i'm in the slammer. i need cigarettes.'
she began to shake & stutter. she was next.
"garren, i'm gonna go to california tonite & stay at a motel. i'll call you when i arrive."
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

...but how am I going to get there? What will my plan be once I am there? Who can I call for help? Is there a person on earth that may have an answer to my impossible plight?

A man came over to the table. His dark face had a mysterious feature of non emotion. He took Marti's arm and said, "You need to come with me. It's over for you."

I sat there in horror. My body was glued to the seat. "I think you know who sent me." His gravel was worse than his demeanor as then he gruffed, "Fred told me, now it's your.......
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Master Chef

life and if you know what's good for you, you will come with me."

Marti looked terrified as they walked away from the table. Somehow, through my shock, I thought I heard Elvis singing "Heartbreak Hotel" and realized my phone was ringing. As I fumbled around my purse searching for my phone, I saw Neil smirking in the corner.

"Hello?"
"Hi! This is Fred. I just want to let you know that everything will be fine."
"How can you know that? Garren has been arrested and Marti was just dragged out of here by some creepy guy!"
"I know. We made it look like an arrest for Garren's protection. He's been working undercover for me in the Russian mob for the past 3 years but we think his cover was blown. This was the only way we could protect him. As for Marti, the creepy guy is my partner, Jackson, and he will get Marti out of town safely. But you have to be careful since you have been seen with them. I suggest you leave in a few minutes but don't go home or you will followed."
"Where should I go?"
"That's up to you. I don't have authorization to protect you since you weren't involved in the case."
"Well, thanks a bunch!"
"Take care, Molly. I'll be in touch."

Now what was I to do? I couldn't go home. As I finished my margaretia, I thought about everything that happened. Suddenly it occured to me that...