"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Executive Chef

"I take full responsibility" - what does it mean?

when someone says "i take responsibility for my actions" what do they really mean? are they saying "my bad", or "i did wrong, now let's move on?" is it a simple acknowledgement of a mistake,or something more? when someone is accepting responsibility for their actions, is there an implied promise to suffer consequences, or make reparations of any kind? or is it really no more than an assertively worded apology? i'm interested to hear your thoughts and opinions about this. it is a question that has been on my mind for some time now....

Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I think most people say it without really thinking of what it implies. It is saying that you fully intend to do what it takes to make something right. Some say it as an apology, but it isn't really an apology. You can make things right without apologizing.

This is kind of like people saying, "How do you do?" Most just mean "hello." The same applies to "How are you?" Most don't really want to hear how you are. They are just saying "hi."

I'm glad you brought this up. I am a big believer in people thinking about the words that actually come out of their mouths (or off of their keyboards), and meaning what you say.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's a phrase I only use when I mean it. I also live my life so that the phrase is true in all my dealings, whether I say it or not.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Most of the time it's another way of saying, "It's my fault." In a specific circumstance, it could also mean I will suffer the consequences (paying damages or criminal/legal action). I'm not sure it's an apology.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's a phrase I only use when I mean it. I also live my life so that the phrase is true in all my dealings, whether I say it or not.
Yep, same here.

This also makes me think of people who think (and yes I have met quite a few) that if you don't say "I promise" you haven't really promised something. On the contrary. As soon as you say you are going to do something (or that you are not going to do something) you have made a promise.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I look at it as, The buck stops here. It means you and you alone are responsible for your actions, be they good or bad, but it seems most commonly associated with a negative action or repercussion.
Upon hitting Post Quick Reply, I take full responsibility for my action ;^)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh yeah, I also don't ever say, "I promise." Especially at work..."The best laid plans of mice and men, go oft astray."
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Master Chef

I only say it when I have admitted that I am to blame for something and intend to do what I can to right my wrong.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

For me it is an understanding or an acknowledgement that I am the "cause" of a situation.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
For me it is an understanding or an acknowledgement that I am the "cause" of a situation.
That's true, and I thank you for your clarification, Bea.

For myself, and I suspect I'm the person Vitauta is speaking of, "taking full responsibility" means not blaming others (including God), nor particular circumstances, nor just plain bad luck, but accepting that my own decision(s) and deliberate actions brings upon me a given consequence or set of consequences. It has to do with any placing of claim or blame, something that many people refuse to acknowledge against themselves.

This is not a new concept, but one that I learned while in grade school.