"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I hate that you are having to go through this Laurie. I can't really add to what has been said, but I can say that we are keeping you in our prayers (as always). Make sure you get out and see some Christmas decorations at the mall or at friends' houses! You need a bit of visual cheer now and then!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac
Thanks, Barbara, and everyone else. I really appreciate all the care that comes from everyone at DC. My main purpose for starting this thread was not to make another "woe is me" plea, but more to help myself find the hilarity in it all and share the adventure with you - it is my way of staying sane!

I am surprisingly calm now...as if there isn't anything else that can get me down. That is so healing and is what gives me strength.

I really AM finding this whole thing funny. Maybe that is a coping mechanism but I will keep it! As I have said before, I am finding joy in my trials and the knowledge that He is in control.

I wish I had been able to take pictures of yesterday to share with you, but I can't wait to upload what our new home looks like.

Oh, Barbara, I DO have my favourite Christmas "chandelier" of lights that DH bought me a couple of years ago from Ikea hanging in the living room, I kept my big snowman mug for my morning tea and evening hot chocolate WITH a candy cane and we are putting the outside lights up on Thursday. So we will have our little bit of Christmas, and I am very hopeful that we will have all our stuff back in time to have this house filled with its usual holiday charm! I will look forward to putting up every little ornament when the time is right.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Take notes of what the hazmat suit looks like, maybe you can go as "that guy" next year for Halloween!

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~ Maxine
LibraryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I think you are great. I found it is much better to look beyond the present and look to the future - renewed things and new stuff.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac
Chapter 2 - The Crappy Plumber

Okay, this whole flood thing is getting so surreal and I am really starting to have fun with it. HONEST!

After the hubbub of Monday settled down, we thought we were okay for awhile....that is until I tried we found out that the hazmat guy had not nicely unbolted our toilets to remove them, but he had rocked them back and forth until he could just pull them off the bolts (I did mention he was a BIG guy!). One flush and flood city all over again. Well, not close to the original, but still, water all over a now bare cement floor! Oh, yeah, and he left the glue on the floor which WE ended up cleaning up while mopping up - a sticky yuckky mess.

DH fixed the two toilets well enough to get us through until the floors are redone.

We were just pulling into the parking lot of Costco yesterday when the adjuster called on the cell phone to see how things were going. DH mentioned the poor job the asbestos guy did and the adjuster asked if we were certain we didn't need a plumber now. We said no, they were working and there was no point.

An hour and a half later we get home to find a plumbing truck in front and noises coming through our windows. The border had come home and I guess let the plumber in. The dogs are getting so used to having to be locked up when people come that one ran into our office and the other into our bedroom and the border just had to close the doors on them!

But the plumber was really not a happy camper. He said that he didn't know why he was called when he will just have to come back and do it all again (we told him we felt the same). And was mad that we weren't home when he arrived, not believing that we didn't know he was coming! He also told us one of the toilets was a cheap piece of junk and needed replacing. We told him it worked fine before this all happened. He just seemed to be unhappy with the world.

Well, he left and our border went into his bathroom (the one with the crappy toilet) and came out with a very strange expression on his face. He said that when he went to flush it the whole thing shook. We went in and tried it and it did it again. Then it cracked from one bolt hole straight through to the other and mini flood number 2! All three of us were so stunned it took a minute to turn the water off!

So, I am now waiting for the adjuster to decide if they are going to pay for the toilet to be replaced, or to charge it to either the hazmat guy or the irate plumber.

So now we can add at least one toilet to the list of new items we are accumulating. Maybe I can't put up my Christmas tree, but I sure am getting a lot of presents!

Oh, are you wondering where the plumber came from? Apparently the hazmat guy called the restoration team leader (not the adjuster) and told him we might need a plumber because for some reason one of the toilets didn't fit properly when he put it back!

Hope you aren't getting bored with my story, but I figure everyone could use a good laugh!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol... you should send this all the a newspaper or something. It's quite the story!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
omg, LP, i'm glad you can laugh about it! i'm busy being horrified on your behalf! a friend's mom once hired a contractor to renovate the kitchen...he took apart the kitchen (as in, no cabinets, knocked down a wall, pulled up the floor to concrete) while waiting to get the checks cleared from their house & others that were supposed to pay for materials. then he skipped town, leaving several people with useless parts of their homes. and of course, the family's money had all gone to pay the contractor, there was none left to hire ANOTHER contractor, so they could only piece back their kitchen over the course of a couple of years. that was the worst house story ever, but this may just take the cake!!!
I love cooking with wine...sometimes I even put it in the food... fireweaver.wordpress.com
fireweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac
Thanks Fireweaver, I know people are a little shocked at my attitude but if you knew the things I have survived through the years you will know why I have learned to take it all in stride.

A friend's mother had the same thing happen to her with the kitchen - the guy gutted it and her bank account and jumped ship. It was horrible!

At least in our case the insurance is the one looking after the bills and the contractors. The only money I have put out was for new shower curtains, bath mats, towels, etc. and they have assured me those bills will all be paid and if they aren't well, at least I don't have to pay for the carpets, toilets, floors, etc.

As for living in this situation, I just keep telling myself how great it will be when they are done.

Oh, the moldy wall got removed this morning and with the dehumidifiers and hepa filters running non-stop my asthma has been well under control.