"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Lol... I'm in a phase of life right now that I can only give, and not take.

I'm glad you need no advice :-) But you are right in assuming it was sound... let me go dotter off and mumble to myself now ...

If you are going to do the campus thing vs. commute, have you considered using a bike? I recently bought a new one, and am trying to enjoy it. I made a smart choice in getting a "comfort"/mountain bike. Both the fork and the seat have suspension, the the bike doesn't weigh too much, was inexpensive and rides well on streets, gravel roads, and hard packed trails. Here's what i bought (but paid $160 for at the local Meijer store) : Amazon.com: Schwinn Coronado Men's Comfort Bike (26-Inch Wheels, Silver/Royal Blue): Sports & Outdoors I did change the saddle though for one more comfortable.

Bob
I did make that choice a while back Bob, I've purchased an electric road bike I can charge up and it's good to go 18 miles round trip, but here's my situation? I need something a little stronger and safer where I can carry a camera bag that waights about 50 pounds when all the camera gear is in it. The bike I have now is only for a max weight of 245 pounds and I would acceed that weight with the camera bag, portfolio, tripod and I think that would be too much to carry for it.

Here's a few pictures of the bike I've purchased during the spring time!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Well, I certainly can't say the 50 lb bag wouldn't be consideration. I weigh about 220, but I never really considered being too heavy for the bike, or carry a 50 lb bag. I don't know that I'd do an electric, as that negates the reason why I bought mine. I would like to lose between 20 ~ 40 lbs to get back to my high school years. Not for looks, but just the feel good factor. I don't know that I'd want to carry the hefty a bag though :-) I might want to get the motorcycle that's been in the garage a while out and use that.

But just as an FYI for anyone interested, the bike I gave the URL to is about the best bang for buck you can get these days for a comfortable bike to get some exercise on. I know cause I do research on those type purchases before I buy anything. I wouldn't necessarily buy from the link I gave, but it's a starting point for those considering a bike purchase.

Bob

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowdata4u View Post
Every house should be good looking and decorative from its interior as well as exterior. Most of the people concentrate more on their interior rather than the exterior which is an equally essential requirement. Beautifully painted home, nice design of windows and doors , garden area and good looking Garden shed is the must to make the exterior of your house look good. By bringing quality to the exterior one can give a unique look to its house.
Could you elaberate more on this message? It doesn't make sense to me, Thanks Derek.

Quote:
Well, I certainly can't say the 50 lb bag wouldn't be consideration. I weigh about 220, but I never really considered being too heavy for the bike, or carry a 50 lb bag. I don't know that I'd do an electric, as that negates the reason why I bought mine. I would like to lose between 20 ~ 40 lbs to get back to my high school years. Not for looks, but just the feel good factor. I don't know that I'd want to carry the hefty a bag though :-) I might want to get the motorcycle that's been in the garage a while out and use that.

But just as an FYI for anyone interested, the bike I gave the URL to is about the best bang for buck you can get these days for a comfortable bike to get some exercise on. I know cause I do research on those type purchases before I buy anything. I wouldn't necessarily buy from the link I gave, but it's a starting point for those considering a bike purchase.

Bob
I'm 200 pounds and the reason I've chosen an electric bike over a pedal bike is do to my pacemaker and my heart, I didn't want to try to pedal for 2 miles and have a heart attack on the road, That would be very very bad!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I think I speak for all of DC is saying we don't want you to either :-)

Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

Is that thing street-legal? I'd check with your state's DMV before laying out the bucks. If you can't register it, you can't drive it. And registration isn't free, either.

Also, what about the rain?

And (just to sound even more like a father) you get hit in that thing and you won't need to worry about your pacemaker!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
I think I speak for all of DC is saying we don't want you to either :-)

Bob
HI Bob, All I know the gentleman or the lady was talking about houses and not cars, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Is that thing street-legal? I'd check with your state's DMV before laying out the bucks. If you can't register it, you can't drive it. And registration isn't free, either.

Also, what about the rain?

And (just to sound even more like a father) you get hit in that thing and you won't need to worry about your pacemaker!
I've read more on the this unit Scotch, And it does have a roof that fits in the trunk for easy storage and why wouldn't it be legal here in Mi? If it has the full criteria of of a full blown shooter it should be good!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Sous Chef

By the way everyone, My mom helped me and showed me how to check my finances to see if I can get this unit and it looks like I can.

Anyways if I cut tv, and only buy food that I need, and the supplies for school I will be able to pay my folks $110 a month for every month and still live on my own, I will be able to do stuff as well, And I'm in the mist for getting a job either from college, or from the paper.

But I will not be able to buy this unit until 2 months and then winter will set in.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
By the way everyone, My mom helped me and showed me how to check my finances to see if I can get this unit and it looks like I can.

Anyways if I cut tv, and only buy food that I need, and the supplies for school I will be able to pay my folks $110 a month for every month and still live on my own, I will be able to do stuff as well, And I'm in the mist for getting a job either from college, or from the paper.

But I will not be able to buy this unit until 2 months and then winter will set in.
Hey, if mom says it's okay, it's got ta be okay, right :-) Mom does pay the bills at home though right?

Bob
Old 06-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Hey, if mom says it's okay, it's got ta be okay, right :-) Mom does pay the bills at home though right?

Bob
She pay's her bills, I pay mine.

I'm getting used to not getting stuff like I did when I was home.

It's still learning process for me but I think I'm doing a great job at it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Chile Chef - Learning to budget is a good thing. I know, my wife is an accountant, and she basically took over our monthly finances, so I'm just learning how to budget for my self in some respects (we married early).

Bob