I want to climb Everest!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudtimud

Assistant Cook
There! I said it! And I'm serious.

Such a sentence is what I, as a 21 year old young adult, would never dare to declare out loud in real life. Not in my culture at least. I'm born and raised in a tropical concrete jungle called Singapore, where I'm pretty much expected by my elders to study and get a degree, work, settle in a family, raise kids and retire until I leave a jar of ashes behind.

This really scares me. Not the part where I become a jar of ashes, but the part where I become JUST a jar of ashes. I mean, really? Is that it? If life were to be a movie I wonder if such a life would even have audience who could sit through to the end without nodding off. I want to be more than that. When does a person cease to exist? When his jar of ashes gets dumped due to space constraint? No! it's when he is forgotten. It's when his footprints of legacy gets washed away by the waves of time.

I want my life to be one h*ll of a movie. A movie so good that people will remember. A movie so good that other movie-makers would say "Wow! I want my movie to be just as awesome as this one!".

Just over a year ago, I ticked "full-marathon" on my bucketlist, despite my parent's and elder's plea for me to drop out before the race. I have been so contented with myself I stopped exercising completely and returned to my inert lifestyle. Ofcourse, my sense of satisfaction gradually faded away and it wasn't long before I hear my conscience yelling at my lazy self "NEXT LEVEL!!".

It's been a month since I finally got off my butt and started working out again, to regain my form. I researched the plans I need to make for the trip and the amount of cash I need (US$60k!!! Total rip-off!!) for the climb. Looks like all I could do now is to constantly train myself, study extra hard.

Yep. I'm still studying, about to enter college actually (now that my 2 year military term is finally over). But I guess the climb up Everest doesn't begin at base camp, but at the thick stack of textbooks and notes on my table and the long flight of stairs where I'll train everyday. (Need to pick-up rock climbing too. I think my campus has a rock wall)

So there. I can't blame if some of you were to laugh it off as nothing but a childish I-wanna-be-an-astronaut-and-fly-to-the-sun kinda dream but honestly, I myself cannot guarantee that I'll realise my dreamS (yes, Plural. I already have so much more planned besides Everest). All I can say is that I'll either achieve them, or trying my whole life and end up die-trying.

Sorry for the long rant but I need to know what do you guys think. Would you file this under Youthful Idealism or just being plain stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm is total support of you climbing Everest, if that is what you want to do. In fact, today...I will be in my first walk for a cause and I entered to walk the whole race, not just half, like some of my more fit friends.

I think I can understand how someone in your culture may think this is a lofty, unobtainable, or even frivolous goal, however my culture generally feels the opposite. I wish you the best of luck. My signature I use here says it all. :flowers:

I won't bore you with my story (many here have been bored with it enough), but I am all for you trying if this is the goal you wish to reach!

My "Everest" will occur this September when I walk the 5k (there is a 2k and 10k) Terry Fox Run in the town we grew up in. And Princess Fiona is my mentor because she is doing her walk today.

While you work towards earning the money, make smaller goals for yourself. Find places nearby where you can climb; run marathons, whatever you can find to do.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Back
Top Bottom