"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
You are a very lucky person. I hope things stay that way for you for a long, long time.
I am blessed :) I will carry on doing everything I can to keep them as innocent as possible. I think being a kid at heart makes it easier for me to do things like sneak into my daughters room when she's lost a tooth and sprinkle fairy dust from the window to her shoe and placing a few shiny coins inside and removing the tooth and flushing the evidence, baking cookies for santa on Christmas eve,
reading bedtime stories each night and playing in sandpits and getting covered in mud etc.
I think I'll stop now before I bore everyone to tears but there is just nothing like having the innocents to believe in all things magical when you're a child and I want them to play as mush as possible while they still can and have fond memories to look back on when they're all grown up :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

My husband and I were just laughing about this. You can't turn back the hands of time, and overall you probably wouldn't want to. But, yes, you do wonder about family togetherness, for one thing, and childhood obesity for another. I can remember when my parents were first able to have a second phone jack in the house. I still had my two youngest siblings living at home, and when I visited I mentioned the location of the phone. This was in the late 70s or early 80s, and my sibs weren't allowed to have TVs or telephone extensions in their bedrooms. Mom wanted to know what they were seeing and who they were talking to. Privacy for teenagers wasn't considered an option. You want privacy? You turn 18, graduate from high school, get a job, and rent your own apartment! We always did a lot of family stuff; camping, walking, sledding, skating, bike riding, card and board games. Part of the time we lived overseas and that, by itself, limited television time. My escape was always books, but even then, Mom would say, "GD-it Claire, get your nose out of that book and go outside and play!"

Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I'll be showing my age with these comments.

The biggest difference I see in comparing my childhood to the childhoods of today's children is organization.

When I was a child, I came home from school and disappeared from home until dinnertime. I sought out my friends and we played outdoors until I was called for dinner (Mom or Sis would yell my name from the front porch). During the Summer months, I was gone all day. We ate lunch at one of the kids' homes. Again, I had to be home for dinner.

Today, it seems every minute of a child's 'free' time is carefully planned with either organized activities such as soccer, Little League, music lessons, language lessons or playdate appointments. Kid's have fuller calendars than I ever did.

SO works as a home manager and she either has to make sure the kids are ready for the music tutor's arrival for a lesson or be running around dropping off and picking up from different appointments.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Cook

It's a hard balance as a parent now to make sure that your child has the technology skills they need to get by in the world and also to make sure they are able to be kids. I am constantly amazed by my 3 year old at how easily she picks up and figures out how to do things. She can take our phones and figure out how to get to the app that she wants to play. She got ahold of my nook and turned it on, and searched for the book she wanted to read without me showing her how. That said, they have very little computer/screen time and we do a lot of playing, tea parties, parks, etc. I feel kind of bad because my parents bought them this video game that is a bike and I think they've played it a total of 3 times since Christmas.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Master Chef

Yes, very much the same. I had to come home from school and do homework, period. Then I was allowed to run around our neighborhoods with my girl friends. But my parents didn't have unlimited use of two or more cars, so didn't have the ability to drive me wherever I needed to be for structured activities. Athletics were definitely discouraged for girls in those years (and I wasn't so inclined then anyway) unless you were a cheer-leader. Nowadays, kids have such full social calendars, and usually two working parents, that I have no idea how they cover it all.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

I was never allowed friends during the week, only on weekends. I did netball, swimming, shotput, high jump and sang in the choir. We always had to eat dinner at the table, I had to help my mom cook and started cooking the meals when I was 8 yrs old. My mom was away half of each month working and I was tired of steak and fries or KFC..lol! My dad can't cook to save his life!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Good topic Joesfolk!

A few years ago I led a girl's group and the lesson one week had me telling them what life was like for me at their age (8/9).

I told them about putting beads or playing cards on my bike tires to make noise when I road. They asked me how many speeds and they were shocked when I told them "just one and we peddled backwards to put on the brakes! Other shocks that we had only 2 channels on our black and white TV until we got cable which gave us a total of 7 channels! They didn't know what a record was or 8 tracks! They asked what did I do for fun. I mentioned tetherball, foursquare, skipping, marbles, etc. They were really amazed.

It was a fun way to see how things change....and I remember thinking I was the same at their age wondering how my parents managed without all the stuff I had!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
Cook

I was the same, Snip. No friends during the week, in bed by 10. My parents ran me around to soccer, piano, and more soccer. It was because of all my activities that I learned to cook. My sister and I had to have dinner on the table when my mom got home from work so we could eat and go to practice. We hated having the same thing all the time, so we got creative.

I'm amused at how much different my kids' lives are than mine. I remember when we got the internet when I was a senior in highschool, but "skype" was one of my daughter's first 100 words.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingMamaof2 View Post
I was the same, Snip. No friends during the week, in bed by 10. My parents ran me around to soccer, piano, and more soccer. It was because of all my activities that I learned to cook. My sister and I had to have dinner on the table when my mom got home from work so we could eat and go to practice. We hated having the same thing all the time, so we got creative.

I'm amused at how much different my kids' lives are than mine. I remember when we got the internet when I was a senior in highschool, but "skype" was one of my daughter's first 100 words.
I loved my activities and chose to do them, luckily come 8pm when I had to go to bed I was knackered anyway..lol!
I wouldn't say I'm too strict with my kids but they must go to bed by 8, do homework, say prayers at night, no friends during the week either. I spend a lot of time playing with them and letting them help out in the kitchen if they want to. They seem happy and don't complain about not having playstations etc. Just hope it stays that way for a few more years at least :)