"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Head Chef

I was just thinking...

I saw something on this site that got me to thinking about how different my dd's growing years are from my own. We were city dwellers but I remember my childhood being filled with pollywogs, crayfish,hornets nests, huge games of hide and seek, ice skating, and foursquare. But dd's life is full of computers, cell phones and mp3's. While I am glad that we can manage to afford all of this technology for her I can't help but feel that she is missing out on a great part of life yet none of today's kids seem to miss any of that fun and none of them have or miss all of the neighboorhood friendships that big outdoor games require. Of course their world is filled with virtual friends but when that is almost all you have , well, it just seems very sad to me.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I had forgotten all about four square.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

I so agree, I have managed so far not to buy any of the TV, Video and computer games. We never had trouble entertaining ourselves without all this nonsense. We played outside all the time! The worst for me is watching girls my daughter age wearing mini skirts, wearing make-up and acting like grown women. It's shocking what some parents allow! I'm probably one of the few uncool moms left but I'll keep it that way. Don't want my kids sitting indoors and becoming part of the playstation generation!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I had forgotten all about four square.
Same here. Do they still have them on playgrounds and schoolgrounds?
I loved playing tetherball and dodgeball.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I know the grade school I went to replaced the tetherball pole with some game you toss a ball up into and it comes out a random chute to be caught. Kinda cool, but not tetherball. They probably aren't allowed to have a rope hanging off a pole anymore. Hmmm, although Napolean Dynamite still had a tetherball pole...
I don't know if they still have four square anymore or not. It used to be in the corners of the basketball court. I still drive by that school once in a while.

Mem---or---ies----
like the corners of my mind----

Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Head Chef

The really sad part is that dd used to be an "outside child." But all of her neighborhood friends insisted on playing indoors..it's too hot or it's too cold or they didn't have appropriate clothes to go sliding on the hill. At one point I took to buying snowpants and mittens at rummage sales to loan to these kids but eventually they won out and now dd would rather sit around with her computer on her lap than do almost anything active and her weight shows it. At least these kids still like to go swimming although many of them won't swim in a lake or river, just a pristine pool. We may have gained a lot with our technology but we have lost a lot too.

As for the foursquare thing, we used to play in my girlfriends paved drive which had a perfect foursquare separation in the cement. If we couldn't do that we used bits of drywall left over from construction sites to draw the squares wherever we could find a paved surface. We spent hours and hours playing that.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Master Chef

The mention of pollywogs made me smile!

When we were little we brought home a mason jar filled with pollywogs and frog eggs. My mother gave it a place of honor in the middle of the dining room table. We watched it with great interest until one day it went away, and so did the smell!

Fireflys were big on our agenda also!

We were range free or feral children all year round and our parents and grandparents encouraged it. It was great fun but more important than the location was the development of our imaginations. Today it seems like people can't do anything without buying a book or taking a course. I think a lot has been lost. Just my opinion and not an old geezer rant!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I drive myself nuts trying to get my 13 year old to do stuff. She has no intrest in so many things like you have mentioned. Trying to get her to go for a bike ride or come with me to walk the dog is a very frustrating experience. I give her options and she usually decides to stay home.
She keeps busy though. Not really on the social network sites. More reading, crafts, Sims, Architecture games..etc. My wife is mobility challenged so we aren't very active as a family group. When I try to get her going with me, she usually chooses to stay home. She does well in school(4+), has decent friends, is very well behaved and seems happy, so I guess I shouldn't try to transpose her personality. Each to his/her own, I guess.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

By the sounds of it I should be grateful that my kids still play! I must brag just a little, I'm really proud of my 2 baba's. Caitlin's 9 now and she's a straight A student, just started Taekwondo this year and she's already won 2 medals in her first Taekwondo tournament.
We don't have any of the new playstations or WII or Nintendo etc. She still plays hop scotch, tends to her fairy garden daily, makes sand castles with her little brother Daniel (4), and does little shows for us at night! My kids still believe in Santa, the Toothfairy and the Easter bunny!
It's not easy keeping things this way, I do have to work hard and play and run around with them but I think it's worth it seeing how my kids still get to be kids in todays society.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
By the sounds of it I should be grateful that my kids still play! I must brag just a little, I'm really proud of my 2 baba's. Caitlin's 9 now and she's a straight A student, just started Taekwondo this year and she's already won 2 medals in her first Taekwondo tournament.
We don't have any of the new playstations or WII or Nintendo etc. She still plays hop scotch, tends to her fairy garden daily, makes sand castles with her little brother Daniel (4), and does little shows for us at night! My kids still believe in Santa, the Toothfairy and the Easter bunny!
It's not easy keeping things this way, I do have to work hard and play and run around with them but I think it's worth it seeing how my kids still get to be kids in todays society.
You are a very lucky person. I hope things stay that way for you for a long, long time.