I wonder about you people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
i think it's still against the law to have cuban cigars in the u.s., charlie.

That's so strange. Is it a political thing? Hmm... that's probably why all the specialty cigar shops around here are always full of Americans! (there are many cigar stores here that sell loads of cuban/imported cigars)

mish said:
Curious what the screen names mean... Grumblebee, vyapti?

My screen name doesn't really "mean" anything, I just thought it was kind of clever. It's like "Bumblebee" but different. I actually first came up with it in reference to my cute little dog who is always grumpy in the morning. (he puts up a fuss when I get up in the morning and disturb his rest on my bed... lol) One day I just called him a "Grumblebee" out of the blue and the name just kind of stuck in my head. I also call him "Grumplestiltskin" (like Rumplestiltskin) sometimes too. :LOL:

mish said:
Curious what the screen names mean... Grumblebee, vyapti?

vyapti is a sanskrit term I picked up in an Indian Philosophy class (having to do with causal relationships). I've been interested in India for years, liked the word and it's unique in the internet community (that means don't use it :LOL:).

I later discovered that it is an uncommon feminine name in India. Every so often, I get hit on by Indian guys on my yahoo account. This once lead to a lengthy discourse about the goings on in Ahmanabad. In the end, though, I guess I just wasn't his type.

One of my oldest cats (18) years old could not meow.She'd open her mouth but no sound came out. She could hiss and growl but never ever meow'd. I used to call her my silent meow cat. Very trusting, part siamese, she would sit on my shoulder while I burned off dead grass areas, sit in my lap at the vets office full of dogs, purring her head off. I miss her. Guess you can tell by the sloppy sentamentality that I'm female!

I too am a fifty year old, but male by gender. My pseudonym comes from the fact that I wa a puny little runt while growing up, though very nimble and athletic for my size. I'd come home dejected after being teased by the other kids, who were all nearly twice my size. My dad would try to cheer me up and always said that "one of these days, you're goint to grow like a bad weed." Well, I never got past 5 foot 6 inches tall. So I must be the "Goodweed". And I live in and love the Northern Great Lakes region. Thus, I am Goodweed of the North.

In addition, I'm not fond of manicured, perfect lawns. I prefer wild flowers, dandelions, and other plants considered obnoxious by most people. To me, a lawn that is just yellow with brilliant dandelions is a beautiful thing. I also love picking wild berries, mushrooms, and other edibles. To me, there are no bad weeds, just plants that people don't know the usefulness of. My favorite place to be is in the forest, as far away from civilization as I can get, though I am far from antisocial. And I bet you couldnt' tell that I'm somewhat gregarious (talks a lot). And I bet you can't tell that I read a bunch, and about every topic imaginable, even cooking (though most of that knowledge comes from years of trial and error, reading, and experimentation).

I also love honesty and integrity above all other human traits. And I try very hard to live those traits. About family, my wife comes first, followed by my children. And that saying at the bottom of my posts, I believe that to be an ultimate truth, along with religeous faith.

I am who I appear to be in my posts, though with all the weaknesses of the average mortal. I strive to be better than I am, and frequently do foolish things to hinder my progression. But I always keep looking forward, picking myself up, and tryiing again.

I love humor and laughter. I abhor toilet humor, shock value humor, and humor that tears down others, or tears down good principles. I have little taste for crudity. I embrace things that lift me and others up. And I believe that if everyone were to do the same, we could have a better world in which to live.

Now B.T., just to let you know, you have never stepped over the line and are a valued freind on this board. I'm not a prude by any means. But I am different than most, and have been since birth. It's just who I am, not better, nor worse than anyone else.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow, this thread was great reading on my lunchbreak! A few surprises, gender-wise, but after reading grumblebee's explanation about her handle, her gender was a dead giveaway, LOL! I talk EXACTLY the same way to my cat!

As for me, my given name, Lee, doesn't help most people. About 7 years ago, my brother, with whom I share a townhouse, was interested in smoking meats and low and slow BBQ. We bought a smoker and I got on the internet to find out how to use the thing. I found the wonderful BBQ Forum http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/ where I joined in. "Q" is the shortened term for "BBQ" and, since I was, at first, just finding out information for my brother, I added the "Sis" for that forum. I have kept QSis everywhere else on the internet.

Shortly after that, we became a 2-person competitive BBQ team, and many of our internet BBQ buddies on the circuit know us as QSis and QBro.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody!

Lee

Grumblebee, the Americans in your country are buying Cubans for very political reasons.

As a result of the Cuban missile crisis in the early sixties, JFK put an embargo on Cuban products, including cigars.

There is a story I have heard many times that he purchased as many as he could before he enacted the embargo and had literally thousands resting in the proper humidity and temperature conditions.

He certainly did like his cigars.

Is that a true tale?

I have no idea.

But yes, we cannot legally bring Cuban cigars into the US.

grumble, yes, it is political in nature. americans are not allowed to buy, or travel to, or do business with anything cuban. i don't think it appropriate to discuss it here, but there is an interesting debate over both sides of the issue. (opening up lines of business - can it help them, and therfore help them to become democratic? or are you just doing business with a communist state that ignores civil rights?)

and gw!!!! you are the homeowner that everyone in my neighborhood lets their dogs go poop on the lawn because your property is nothing but a weed producer. i understand the beauty of a field of dandelions or wildflowers, but not in an area where everyone else tries to prevent them from growing. it's a nice, green statement of conservation and/or preservation, but also bad manners and not very neighborly, imo.
before i went organic (i pick weeds by hand now), i would run the rotary spreader over one of my neighbor's lawns with leftover weed killer in the middle of the night. every year my lawn would be perfect on one side, but loaded with weeds on the offending neighbors side.

Constance said:
Constance is my real name...I'm the straight-forward type.
And that is one of the many things I like about you:)

kadesma:)

i'm a gal of 25 & a culinary student, & a Chef when someone asks me to work for them, & i love my PINK!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom