"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I expect these things from fast food restaurants. Do you think I'm being idealistic in expecting that proper restaurants are any better?

Now you all know why I prefer cooking my own food. At least when I cook my own I know for sure what went into the dish, know what cleanliness standards were met. And I'll admit I'm a bit of a germophobe. I'm really picky even when I'm cooking food for just myself, even more picky when I have guests. (I don't return the tasting spoon to the pot unless I'm cooking just for myself.)

Are there any other germophobes out there?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm not a "germophobe" but I do believe in things being as clean as possible when I'm cooking and nursing (my profession and feeding babies). If we are out in the woods and my hands get dirty while I'm cooking, I wipe them on my pants to get the obvious dirt off.

If I saw any of these things mentioned in the thread, you can bet I would leave at once.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Ichi Butt would be Japanese cuisine, not Chinese

Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

the american equivalent:

Caddyshack - Poop in the pool - Save Me From Boredom - Games Videos Movies Soundboards Pranks Humor

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Sous Chef

What grosses me out is at a local bagel joint near me.........the folks wear gloves while fixing the food just like their supposed to but they handle the money with the gloves too......then move on to the next person, without putting on new gloves. Having worked in the banking field, I KNOW how dirty money is..........EWWWWW
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

These things need to be pointed out to management, no wonder people are getting sick!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
Master Chef

So much of our restaurant food is prepared by people who simply don't have the concept of basic hygiene. At one local restaurant I loved their salad meals for lunch. But then, twice, I got sick (not violently so, but a day of intestinal distress) when everyone else in our party (who didn't have a salad meal) felt fine. We quit going there. A shame, because I really loved their salad meals. But obviously, someone who handled the raw food wasn't washing their hands, or the place had a supplier that wasn't great (the latter is highly unlikely, we have a limited number of suppliers; I never got sick after anyone else in town's salads).
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Master Chef

... And, yeah, I should have said something to management.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
So much of our restaurant food is prepared by people who simply don't have the concept of basic hygiene.
Yeah, either don't have or don't care. Even at the best restaurants there's a bottom layer of minimum wage earners to not have or not care, even if the sous chefs and above care. You can't follow the hired help into the bathroom to make sure they wash their hands after.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
Executive Chef

at about 18 yrs old I got a job driving coaches for a holiday company in San Antonio Ibiza. They had just finished a brand new hotel that boasted an olympic size pool.We went to the airport and picked up the first victims, they checked in and got changed and came down to the pool.We stood down and sunbathing a load scream rang out, the pool side toilets had been connected to the system

Tags
chinese, food