Idle Musing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wrote, "Google only seems to do this sort of thing with quotes from reliable websites." Note the word "seems".

From the article you linked to:

"Google’s main job in search is to “recommend the best possible sources based on all the signals we have,” Gingras said. But reducing complex issues to a singular truth? That’s not on his to-do list."

When I write, "According to Google ..." I assume people understand that it only has a certain level of credibility. Maybe I should be more cautious, because obviously I am being misunderstood. If I want to imply more credibility (or even lack thereof), I mention the site and usually post a link. That usually means that I have read the whole article. But, there are times when proof of a lot of credibility isn't really needed. E.g., if I type, "50 kph in mph" into the search bar and Google tells me, "50.000065 Kilometre per hour = 31.068600001 Miles per hour", I'll just say that Google told me.

You know I love you, right? :heart: Maybe you meant to be less definite, but you wrote:

I would write "Google says ..." when I get a result like in the screen shots below, and can't be bothered to search further. Google only seems to do this sort of thing with quotes from reliable websites.

I know you tend to be more precise, taxlady. I brought this up because it's so common now for people to just say, "Look it up online! It's online!" And that's meaningless because there is so much garbage out there. That's the point I wanted to make.

But, there are times when proof of a lot of credibility isn't really needed. E.g., if I type, "50 kph in mph" into the search bar and Google tells me, "50.000065 Kilometre per hour = 31.068600001 Miles per hour", I'll just say that Google told me.

Of course. For me, though, I would say "I found" or "It says online" rather than cite Google, which I think conveys more authority than is warranted.

Last edited:
You know I love you, right? :heart: ...
Aw :blush:
I know you tend to be more precise, taxlady. I brought this up because it's so common now for people to just say, "Look it up online! It's online!" And that's meaningless because there is so much garbage out there. That's the point I wanted to make.
Good point
Of course. For me, though, I would say "I found" or "It says online" rather than cite Google, which I think conveys more authority than is warranted.
Probably my best solution is to write, "Google quick answers tells me ..." ;)

Back
Top Bottom