Idle Musing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I heard someone on the radio this morning talking about an interview she did with Bette Davis shortly before the latter died. The speaker quoted Miss Davis with what I thought was a motto I could put my name to:-

"Old age ain't for sissies"

I'll remember that when I'm pushing my walking frame round the old folks home!

No offence intended but that makes me wonder where the saying "Only the good die young" comes from???? :ermm:

Bahaha! I was just gonna say 'from Billy Joel, of course". :LOL: I'd post a video with the lyrics but don't want to offend anyone - it's easy enough to find on youtube if anyone wants to look it up. ;)

Actually, I think a version of that original saying goes as far back as the ancient Greeks.

I heard someone on the radio this morning talking about an interview she did with Bette Davis shortly before the latter died. The speaker quoted Miss Davis with what I thought was a motto I could put my name to:-

"Old age ain't for sissies"

I'll remember that when I'm pushing my walking frame round the old folks home!

I've always enjoyed that quote from BD,..even when I was young.

One doesn't have to push around a walker in an old age home to know that life can be a challenge in the best of life, no matter the age.
Who is old in the world today, and what age makes them "old"?

Attitude.

In the 1800's most were dead before they were 50 yrs old.

No offence intended but that makes me wonder where the saying "Only the good die young" comes from???? :ermm:

If that is true, then I am going to live forever. All I really want to accomplish is to make it to 12/31/16. That is when the full amount of my insurance policy kicks in. Then I know my kids won't be stuck with huge funeral costs. :angel:

Actually, I think a version of that original saying goes as far back as the ancient Greeks.

I knew about Mr. Joel's use of the phrase and that's what made it pop into mind.

I was more interested in what you've hinted at with the ancient Greeks.

Guess it's time to dust off Mr. Google. :rolleyes:

Attitude.

I'll agree to some extent but we are all dealt the hand we are given in life and we all only get the number of heartbeats we will get.

A good attitude will help overcome many difficulties but Father Time will always win in the end.

If that is true, then I am going to live forever.

:LOL: :LOL: :clap: :clap:

Addie, You made my day with that one.

And I just might be in the same boat as you are. ;)

All I really want to accomplish is to make it to 12/31/16. That is when the full amount of my insurance policy kicks in. Then I know my kids won't be stuck with huge funeral costs. :angel:

And I sure hope you surpass all you seek to accomplish. :angel:

Attributed to Oliver Herford (1863–1935), an American writer, artist and illustrator who has been called "The American Oscar Wilde".

Also John Barrymore - Actor died in 1942.

However, I think it's much older than either of these. Titus Maccius Plautus (254-184 BC) wrote something similar "He whom the gods favor dies in youth."

You pays your money and you takes your chance

I've always enjoyed that quote from BD,..even when I was young.

One doesn't have to push around a walker in an old age home to know that life can be a challenge in the best of life, no matter the age.

Attitude.

In the 1800's most were dead before they were 50 yrs old.
Many of the graves in our churchyard give the lie to that one

Many of the graves in our churchyard give the lie to that one
Yeah, people use to live longer than we usually think they did. The much longer life expectancy nowadays is partly due to the much lower infant mortality rate. The difference wouldn't be nearly as big, if we looked at the life expectancy of a 10 year old in the 1800s and 10 year old now.

Would you feel silly riding one of these at the airport?

:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Modobag1_1960_large.jpg

Introducing the ridealong suitcase - for adults :ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I come from a long line of women who live to 80- 100 years, yeah you fatter you are you longer you live in this family. Lady on 135 kilos lived to 102, the skinny ladies goes around 85.
To quote my grand aunt at age 90.

"I have forgot something, I have forgotten to die."

Last word spoken by her and the first she said in 5 years.

And yes, the good ones die young, this summer a friend died at age 42 from a brain tumor.

Google says the earliet version is this:-

"He whom the gods favor dies in youth."
--Titus Maccius Plautus (254-184 BC)
_Bacchides_, Act 4, Scene 7, Line 18

Google says the earliet version is this:-

"He whom the gods favor dies in youth."
--Titus Maccius Plautus (254-184 BC)
_Bacchides_, Act 4, Scene 7, Line 18

Just to clarify, Google does not say anything. Google displays information from, and provides links to, other sites. Saying "Google says..." is misleading; it gives the impression that all sites are equally valid. It would be more helpful to name the site the information actually came from.

Bahaha! I was just gonna say 'from Billy Joel, of course". :LOL: I'd post a video with the lyrics but don't want to offend anyone - it's easy enough to find on youtube if anyone wants to look it up. ;)

It's so interesting that you said that. I couldn't imagine how it could offend anyone, and then I came across this: The Story Behind Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young"

“The song came out on The Stranger and was no big deal,” Joel remembered. “But then Columbia decided to put it out as a single, and that’s when there were problems. There was a radio station at Seton Hall College in New Jersey. They banned it.”

WSOU at Seton Hall is affiliated with the Catholic Archdiocese in Newark. The president of the college at the time took exception to lines such as:

“The stained glass curtain you’re hiding behind
Never lets in the sun”

And especially:

“They say there’s a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it’s better but I say it ain’t
I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun”

“Then it was banned by the archdiocese of St. Louis,” Joel continued. “And then it got banned in Boston. All these archdiocese areas started putting pressure on radio stations to ban it. The single had been out a short amount of time and wasn’t doing well. The minute they banned it, it starting shooting up the charts, because nothing sells a record like a ban or a boycott.

“This record would have died out. Nobody would’ve heard it if they hadn’t tried to cut people off from it. As soon as the kids found out there was some authority that didn’t want them to hear it, they bought it in droves and it became this big hit.”

We probably wouldn't be talking about it today if people hadn't been offended by it ;)

Just to clarify, Google does not say anything. Google displays information from, and provides links to, other sites. Saying "Google says..." is misleading; it gives the impression that all sites are equally valid. It would be more helpful to name the site the information actually came from.
I would write "Google says ..." when I get a result like in the screen shots below, and can't be bothered to search further. Google only seems to do this sort of thing with quotes from reliable websites.

Attachments

• google answer.png
    google answer.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 85
  • google answer 2.jpg
    google answer 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I would write "Google says ..." when I get a result like in the screen shots below, and can't be bothered to search further. Google only seems to do this sort of thing with quotes from reliable websites.

I would not say only, and that example states right there that it comes from Wikipedia. Particularly with responses that have to do with nutrition or medicine or other scientific topics, I would suggest including the website the information came from so people will be able to evaluate for themselves whether it's reliable or not.

Google search results accuracy: The search engine shouldn't decide what's true.

Last edited:
I would not say only, and that example states right there that it comes from Wikipedia. Particularly with responses that have to do with nutrition or medicine or other scientific topics, I would suggest including the website the information came from so people will be able to evaluate for themselves whether it's reliable or not.

Google search results accuracy: The search engine shouldn't decide what's true.
I wrote, "Google only seems to do this sort of thing with quotes from reliable websites." Note the word "seems".

From the article you linked to:

"Google’s main job in search is to “recommend the best possible sources based on all the signals we have,” Gingras said. But reducing complex issues to a singular truth? That’s not on his to-do list."

When I write, "According to Google ..." I assume people understand that it only has a certain level of credibility. Maybe I should be more cautious, because obviously I am being misunderstood. If I want to imply more credibility (or even lack thereof), I mention the site and usually post a link. That usually means that I have read the whole article. But, there are times when proof of a lot of credibility isn't really needed. E.g., if I type, "50 kph in mph" into the search bar and Google tells me, "50.000065 Kilometre per hour = 31.068600001 Miles per hour", I'll just say that Google told me.

Back
Top Bottom