"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Head Chef

When I married My Dear Wife Alice 1969

Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
When I married My Dear Wife Alice 1969
Awwww, that is so sweet!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #13
Senior Cook

if you could go back in time

1981 the year I was studying in futher education with a bunch of allsorts in a building that was eventally demolished in the city to make way for a Target store and high rise carpark. We called ourselves "The Unemployed Bum's of 1981".
Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Smile Interview ancestors

I would interview my deceased relatives. I've spent years doing research on my family tree mostly through public records. It would be great to talk to them and learn about their lives. I would bring along a camera to take their pictures.

I'd also love to spend time in their kitchens seeing how and what they cooked.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Go back to a point in time when people on the dole weren't so snotty about picking the taxpayers' pocket, people weren't quaking in their boots about lard, lead, etc, doctors made house calls, college students made enough dough to pay their way through college without student loans and both a beer and a hotdog were each a nickel.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I would love to go to Medieval Europe and the early Colonial America there are more I just need to think about it. I would for sure like to go to my ancestors in England and Germany. I have the genealogy on my fathers side that dates to 1199 England and the relatives that immigrated to America in the early colonizations and my mothers side down to the 1700s Germany it would have been earlier but the court house burned down at that time.
I'm with you, JP. I would like to see firsthand Viking, Mayan, Aztec, and Medieval European cultures. There are so many mysteries and theories that we have no way to confirm or disprove currently but it's fascinating.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'm with you, JP. I would like to see firsthand Viking, Mayan, Aztec, and Medieval European cultures. There are so many mysteries and theories that we have no way to confirm or disprove currently but it's fascinating.
You are so right and I would like to include medieval Japan. You are right on the Vikings they fascinate me to no end. I believe I was Celt at some point in my life. As I mentioned before I would like to be invisible during the so called witch burnings as I believe I would be one of the first to go with my present personality.
When I was about 12 years old I told my mother that the reason I can not stand anyone touching my belly button is because I got shot with an arrow right through my belly button during the Medieval Era have no idea why I said that.To this day I still get creeped out over my belly button.
I do know I have Scot blood which is why I think Bag Pipes give me goose bumps and make me teary. I know sounds crazy but I think we all have cell memories from our ancestors.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I used to study Japanese history as a hobby, JP. I was totally enchanted with "The Tale of Genji" so I'm with you there, too, JP. Heck, I think we need to vacation together!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I used to study Japanese history as a hobby, JP. I was totally enchanted with "The Tale of Genji" so I'm with you there, too, JP. Heck, I think we need to vacation together!
Heck ya, sounds like a great idea. I actually have a brother who is 1/2 Japanese and 1/2 German his name is Shigeo. So what did you think of the movie The last Samurai? I thought it was great and possibly right n as far as the history goes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Heck ya, sounds like a great idea. I actually have a brother who is 1/2 Japanese and 1/2 German his name is Shigeo. So what did you think of the movie The last Samurai? I thought it was great and possibly right n as far as the history goes
I liked it a lot, especially the sets. But it was the "Shogun" miniseries that really got me hooked. I've read the book more times than I can remember and I was blown away when I discovered it was historically accurate.