"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Near water, with seasonal changes. And a private dock.

In the heart of a big city in a high-rise building with a doorman and concierge(HH will never go for this).

Out in the boondocks in a log cabin used to sound good, but there's no bookstores or pizza delivery.

We've discussed this recently and have decided to stay put here in Subdivisionland at least while daughter does high school. I pointed out that if we move elsewhere when she starts college, she will be coming 'home' to a strange town where none of her friends live. No good solution for that one yet, but I don't think I want to stay here forever.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Near water, with seasonal changes. And a private dock.

In the heart of a big city in a high-rise building with a doorman and concierge(HH will never go for this).

Out in the boondocks in a log cabin used to sound good, but there's no bookstores or pizza delivery.

We've discussed this recently and have decided to stay put here in Subdivisionland at least while daughter does high school. I pointed out that if we move elsewhere when she starts college, she will be coming 'home' to a strange town where none of her friends live. No good solution for that one yet, but I don't think I want to stay here forever.
Wait til daughter marries and settles down and starts a family, then move in several doors down and wooohooo, you can be like me

kadesma

Old 07-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

nobody can be like you, kadesma - you are an original.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #34
Master Chef

La Jolla, CA and go to Scripps as a graduate student! Work at Sea World with the dolphins and whales and continue the word of Dr. Cordis on interspecies communications - or at Scripps in the wave current lab working on my theory of wave-generated electricity.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:33 AM   #35
Master Chef

okay, Michael, I haven'`t thought of that yet, but it sounds great.. I love whales!

I would like to go somewhere exciting and unknown.. starting something completely different..
If that would be near the sea, everything would be perfect
I could imagine living in Scandinavia, Italy, North America, Australia, New Zealand etc..
but also somewhere around the baltic Sea, not only at Germany's beaches...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #36
Master Chef

This is a funny line, because about 8 years ago, my husband and I decided that our Florida retirement wasn't working. We bought a pickup truck and a trailer and spent 3 years on the road, looking for our ideal. Since we are two people, compromise was in order (I already had located a flat in Ljubljana that we could afford to tour Europe from for a couple of years, he nixed that. He kept talking about these great old farm houses in the country. Huh? He can't fix anything. Seriously, nothing. Doesn't like to garden. Why?). So we went looking. So we found where we are now. Beautiful very old town, walking distance to restaurants and watering holes, very friendly natives (we've been taken into the bosom of locals). Hubby and I have itchy feet, but we've stayed here for five years, almost unheard of. Hawaii, California, and Virginia (my first choices) proved way too expensive for retirement. Florida too boring. Anyway, my many European friends say they fell in love with Galena for the same reasons we did. It looks like a great European small town (no, it isn't a "theme" town, it is just old). It is pretty, it is green (a big thing for me). BUT -- the big caveat -- if you're young and need to make a living, small towns are difficult.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
We tend to be freindly and not look down our noses at anyone else. In fact it is a part of our proclamations that we live in harmony with everyone else,
ahem... i think you need to go to confession gw. are you forgetting new yawkuhs?

as for me, i can't say where i'd want to live, 'cause i may have to go there someday and don't want anyone following me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #38
Head Chef

I guess I would stay right here in northern Minnesota. Small town but close to a larger town. We are on a lake and fish off the dock or take the boat out. We enjoy snowmobiling and ice fishing and like the change of seasons. We have traveled out west and south but MN still is better. I do like the Rocky MT. tho and wouldn't mind living in an area where I could view them all day.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #39
Executive Chef

I love where we live, after all, we've been here for 36 years. Our children grew up here and still return to see us often. We have lots of friends, a good church family, enough relatives, close enough to the important things. The only thing I would change is that people are moving here right and left making the traffic terrible at times. I really don't know where they come from. We live only 35 miles from where I was born, but I've travelled to Europe and other places that interested me. We are retired and do what we want when we want and have enough interests to keep us from becoming self-absorbed. We also have enough to keep us happy and be able to share with others. I am very grateful for everything I have. If I had to move somewhere, I suppose I'd try to make that work also. If I could only cook like Kadesma, I'd be one happy camper!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #40
Executive Chef

on the road traveling right now...MD to OH yesterday...doing MI to the UP today, then over to MN sun. Then back by way of IN and I 70 through western MD. but we're building in Cester Cty PA. (SE of the state) Mushroom country!