"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Saphellae,
Please book me a week during the Canadian Grand Prix LOL.

On a more serious note, France or Italy are my choices, the countries are gorgeous and their cuisines are great. Belgium and Spain are also close seconds.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Visiting anywhere else is wonderful, but there's nothing else like the good ol' USA! You 'd have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This is a question very close to the heart of many Italians these days. Sadly the economy of this country is in shambles, many people are looking for opportunities outside Italy.

It seems very sad especially to me, as I feel like I finally find a place I can feel comfortable enough for myself. England used to be the place of my dreams before I came to Rome, also as my Roman partner is quite good with English, so it may be the possibility, but after getting accustomed to the sunny, mild mediterranean weather, the British climate seems a bit too dour now...
Malta would be nice, a beautiful mediterranean island, and both Italian and English is widely understood.
If I feel adventurous enough, Madagascar seems interesting, but perhaps it is a place more for visiting...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #34
Everymom

Hmmm, OK, jkath, come on up sweetie, theres always room for you. Just let me know if you're bringing the whole crew as I would need to build an addition to the house!

Barbara, you don't need me to say anymore do you?

Buckytom, does it rain in Joisey as much as it does in Vancouver? If not, you better bring your wetsuit if you move. (OK all you Vancouverites, remember this is just my PERSONAL opinion. I know most of you think lotus land is perfect)

I love it here in Alberta, wide open spaces, mountains a short hop away, and sunny skies most of the time. Even the blistering cold doesn't really bother me much. I think if I were to move anywhere it would be to Rome. I fell in love with it back in the 90's and I don't think that ever leaves you. If I were to be able to have unlimited resources I think I'd live in several locations serially. Costa Rica would be on the list, Mayan Riviera, some time in Greece, and there are many others I'd like to experience.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #35
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would be torn between 3 places.

Vancouver, B.C.

Amsterdam, Holland

Costa Rica, C.A.

I would however move back to Hawai'i today, if the chance was there...granted that is still the U.S., but it is a whole world away from the Conus.

I have lived all over, hold a duel citizenship with the U.S of A, and The U.K., and though I feel there is a lot of room for improvement, the U.S. is a great place to live.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #36
Head Chef

I'm glad to see a few people starting to mention Mexico. I was beginning to think that PDSwife and I were going to be all alone down here..........it really iS a great place to live. But definitely not for the chronically impatient or time-obsessed. Today, we are still waiting for the plumber we called yesterday who was going to be here in "una hora." He may never come at all. Which is OK, since the problem seems to have fixed itself. Gotta love Mexico.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lololo.... isn't it that the truth Karen. Time has a whole different meaning in Mexico.
And even once that plumber ( and his six helpers) get there it'll take hours to fix the problem. First they'll have to talk about it...then call someone else to come take a look..then take a lunch break, the talk some more and call someone else and then after they decide what has to be done they'll all go to the store to buy the one part that is needed...then you wait and the whole process starts over again. Finally they'll "almost" finish but say that they have to come back again because they forgot to bring a screw driver. LOL...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #38
Master Chef

france. just fer thier food.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #39
Head Chef

I would love to move to Greece. Specifically, a small city on a small island.. Mytilini, Lesvos, Greece
Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I'm glad to see a few people starting to mention Mexico. I was beginning to think that PDSwife and I were going to be all alone down here..........it really iS a great place to live. But definitely not for the chronically impatient or time-obsessed. Today, we are still waiting for the plumber we called yesterday who was going to be here in "una hora." He may never come at all. Which is OK, since the problem seems to have fixed itself. Gotta love Mexico.
I love that, Karen! In Port Aransas, they call it "island time". They even sell special clocks in which the hands hang limply and all the numbers are jumbled in a heap at the bottom of the clock. And they're not joking either - like in Mexico, being there in an hour could actually mean a week! But I like it so much I bought a place down there.

My choices of another country to live in would be Mexico, Ireland, Canada or France. But really, I could be happy pretty much anywhere.