If You Had to Relocate, Where To?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bugs, reptiles and snakes seem to be more prevalent in warmer climates.
That's one of the reasons I prefer areas that have average temperature ranges of > -15F and < +80F. I'm not a fan of sweating, high summertime humidity, nor air conditioning.

Interesting. I have family that live in WA at various locations along the coast and I asked them specifically about spiders. None of them have ever had problems with them. My parents, the older of my brothers, and I lived there when I was really young and as far as I know we never had problems with them. When my husband and I were researching places to live, everything we looked at mentioned that there were a couple of varieties of poisonous spiders but that they were not numerous and relatively easy to avoid and several places mentioned that spiders in general were not usually a problem. And when the hubby and I went out to visit for my sister's wedding we saw nothing of them.

Where in WA were you at? Is it maybe something isolated to a specific region? I wonder if it's something related to climate change. How long ago were you there? I ask because the hubby and I would still like to move there eventually and if the spider problem is as bad as you say, I'm definitely going to need to get past this phobia before we get there.

I lived in Tacoma for about five years. There were spiders on bushes, in the house, in the grass, everywhere. All my in-laws were terrified of them. Not me. I just would kill them or destroy their webs. My husband, when we lived in Texas, I would say,"Phil there is a spider on the wall, " and he would be out he door before I could finish speaking. Yet if one of the huge roaches got in the house, he would smack it with his hand. YUK! At my sister-in-laws house, she would leave. She was so afraid of one getting away from me. Even on her patio I would hunt them down and kill them. Then there would be a new bunch the next week. There were three houses and each one paid me ten dollars every week to get rid of their spiders. I thought it was all ridiculous. In the 70's, that was a lot of money to me. Thirty dollars extra each week. :)

Bugs, reptiles and snakes seem to be more prevalent in warmer climates.
That's one of the reasons I prefer areas that have average temperature ranges of > -15F and < +80F. I'm not a fan of sweating, high summertime humidity, nor air conditioning.

When we lived in Texas, Son #2 would go hunting for poisonous snakes and turn them in for the bounty money. He always had money in his pocket. :)

boy, addie, you and i have the same dreams.

vermont, florida, the pacific northwest, and ireland/scotland.

Vermont is absolutly beautiful. And there are no really big cities. When someone needs something unusual or special, they come to Boston. And where I lived in Tacoma, in the morning, I would go out my back door and there were the snow capped Olympic Mountains. Go out my front door and there is snow capped Mount Rainier. Yet I was only about 15 minutes away from Puget Sound. I have to live near the ocean. :)

Vermont is absolutly beautiful. And there are no really big cities. When someone needs something unusual or special, they come to Boston. And where I lived in Tacoma, in the morning, I would go out my back door and there were the snow capped Olympic Mountains. Go out my front door and there is snow capped Mount Rainier. Yet I was only about 15 minutes away from Puget Sound. I have to live near the ocean. :)
Glad to see we see agree about something even though you're not a fan of egg custard. We regard most spiders as an aid for the control of other bugs.

Glad to see we see agree about something even though you're not a fan of egg custard. We regard most spiders as an aid for the control of other bugs.

I love egg custard. In fact, it is always the one food I ask for after surgery and I am allowed to eat. I know my stomoch can handle it.

I am not afraid of most bugs. Including spiders. They are so much smaller than me. So what is there to be afraid of? :huh:

I was asked just last week, ( did a survey over the phone )

" Where do you see yourself living in the next 10 years?"

My off the cuff answer.. " If I see 10 years from now, I'll be hopefully living at some KOA Campground anywhere! I'm going to make damn sure that when my kids move out their isn't a chance in h..., that they can never ever move back home with me! ":LOL: That would definitely do the trick.

To answer your question. Were moving out of Cali. Most likely to a drier climate for my health. As far as moving to a Foreign country goes. I'd never think of leaving the States. It's home.

I was asked just last week, ( did a survey over the phone )

" Where do you see yourself living in the next 10 years?"

My off the cuff answer.. " If I see 10 years from now, I'll be hopefully living at some KOA Campground anywhere! I'm going to make damn sure that when my kids move out their isn't a chance in h..., that they can never ever move back home with me! ":LOL: That would definitely do the trick.

To answer your question. Were moving out of Cali. Most likely to a drier climate for my health. As far as moving to a Foreign country goes. I'd never think of leaving the States. It's home.

I swore that when the last kid moved out I was going to set up a cot in the basement next to the furnace so they couldn't come back. Up to a year ago, I still had a kid that moved back home. He was with me this time for three years. Then he got thrown out and finally got the message. My door was closed to kids. I not only had to raise my own kids mostly alone, but also a grandchild when my youngest daughter died and left five kids. It is a never ending job. I am now 73 and I have my total freedom. The answer to all requests is "No." No money, no borrowing anything, no, no, no.

Someplace warmer further south, such as Santa Cruz but inland enough to be out of the fog belt...or Owens Valley...or the Southern Mother Lode (Mariposa, Jamestown, or Sonora...

Internationally: Ireland, Spain, or Italy...

If I could afford it, I'd have a house in each of these 6 locations...otherwise Home Sweet Home remains the mountains of Mendocino County...

I would love to go back to Rome. I had the pleasure of living near it for a few years back in the 80's. I used to train in and after checking out all of the popular tourist destinations, I started going through residential areas where tourists don't hang out much. I found some great restaurants, views, settings. I was young and naive and didn't really appreciate the simple things it had to offer.....Loved the place, though...
Here I am around '86...(on the left)

Attachments

• 4592_98589077400_579352400_2386924_5834108_n.jpg
    4592_98589077400_579352400_2386924_5834108_n.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
@ Barbara,

Thank you for your post. I have noticed that you mention your birthplace, San Diego ... It is one of my fave places on the west coast of the USA ... Love the weather and the subtilties of Mexico ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

@ Rock Lobster,

Awesome photo ... Now, now ... One is never to old, to admire ...

Thanks for sharing the lovely photo ...

*** I love the Borghese Gardens ...

*** Were you able to see the Colliseum CATS ?

There is a group ( banda ) of wild cats that are fed by the residents, visitors, restaurant owners and even Government --- to keep rat / mice population nearly nil ...

Margi.

Last edited:
@ Addie,

Thanks for joining us on this question ... Vermont ... I had been there many many years ago as a young young child ... I can remember the emerald green mountain majesties and the cows ... True, it does not have a pavement big Urban culture ... It is a rural state with agricultural magnificance ... The Vermonters are quite veered toward organic and ecological food production ... last time I read ...

Washington and Oregon, I would believe to be alot like the northwest of Spain and the northwest of Italy ... Stately mountains and stunner rugged Pacific Ocean ...

I grew up in Vancouver though I was not born in Vancouver and so it was not very far from Washington State ... The 200 Miles going back north to Vancover from northern Calif. / Oregon to Vancouver, are unforgettably beautiful ...

Kindest. Margi.

Thanks for sharing.
Margi.

I have been actually spending a bit more time daydreaming of this, and I have come up with way too may variables, and have become my own worst enemy, lol.

If I was still wanting a good mix of nightlife, happy hours, great dining, something to do every night after work, with lots of out door time/activity. . .than Hands down: O'ahu. That would be my place to be. Tokyo=Too darn many people/crazy hard to "settle" environment, no dice. NYC, been there, done that, wouldn't want to live there again at this point, but LOVE to visit. Amsterdam, I love with a passion. Forget the typical tourist mindset of drugs, and women. . . that aside, Amsterdam, and Holland in general, have been the most amazing place I have lived. BUT, the winters can be harsh.

So, Oahu it is, for the ability to get into trouble if I wanted to, and the ability to "Peace out" if I wanted too. Within the Islands, Interisland fights are cheap too. . .a weekend in Maui, or Kauai every month or so, cheap and easily doable. Oh, and the weather. . .

img_1128045_0_2bfa4fbdbb4921bc46e3906ce719722f.png

Addie, my dear,

Where in abouts have you been on Oahu?

Were you near Peal?

No, not near Pearl. I lived across the street from the Punahou School. Up a couple of blocks from Beratania Street. There is the Police Headquarters there. Son #1 attended the Lincoln School. That is the school where all the kids of the professors from the UH sent their kids. It was more advanced than the other schools. I lived there for only a year. Then I came back to the mainland.

In Elvis's movie, "Blue Hawaii" he mentions that on the wall of the Punahou School, the flowers bloom only at night. You don't want to stick you nose in them to smell. they are loaded with ants and other critters from the world of the small. They are great big white flowers with a lot of petals. :)

Last edited:
I'd love to move back to manhattan. It's just no fun if you don't make enough to afford it when your older. At 22 a hole in the wall, roaches, tiny kitchen 3 flights of stairs and a 45 min walk didn't bother me . I hope I become successfull In My career so I can move back and really enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom