"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #31
Executive Chef

I would love to go back to Rome. I had the pleasure of living near it for a few years back in the 80's. I used to train in and after checking out all of the popular tourist destinations, I started going through residential areas where tourists don't hang out much. I found some great restaurants, views, settings. I was young and naive and didn't really appreciate the simple things it had to offer.....Loved the place, though...
Here I am around '86...(on the left)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4592_98589077400_579352400_2386924_5834108_n.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	13477  

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
Executive Chef

@ Barbara,

Thank you for your post. I have noticed that you mention your birthplace, San Diego ... It is one of my fave places on the west coast of the USA ... Love the weather and the subtilties of Mexico ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
Executive Chef

@ Rock Lobster,

Awesome photo ... Now, now ... One is never to old, to admire ...

Thanks for sharing the lovely photo ...

*** I love the Borghese Gardens ...

*** Were you able to see the Colliseum CATS ?

There is a group ( banda ) of wild cats that are fed by the residents, visitors, restaurant owners and even Government --- to keep rat / mice population nearly nil ...

Margi.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
Executive Chef

@ Back Rhodes,

Sounds like a great idea !

Kind regards and thanks for posting.
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
Executive Chef

@ Addie,

Thanks for joining us on this question ... Vermont ... I had been there many many years ago as a young young child ... I can remember the emerald green mountain majesties and the cows ... True, it does not have a pavement big Urban culture ... It is a rural state with agricultural magnificance ... The Vermonters are quite veered toward organic and ecological food production ... last time I read ...

Washington and Oregon, I would believe to be alot like the northwest of Spain and the northwest of Italy ... Stately mountains and stunner rugged Pacific Ocean ...

I grew up in Vancouver though I was not born in Vancouver and so it was not very far from Washington State ... The 200 Miles going back north to Vancover from northern Calif. / Oregon to Vancouver, are unforgettably beautiful ...

Kindest. Margi.

Thanks for sharing.
Margi.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #36
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have been actually spending a bit more time daydreaming of this, and I have come up with way too may variables, and have become my own worst enemy, lol.

If I was still wanting a good mix of nightlife, happy hours, great dining, something to do every night after work, with lots of out door time/activity. . .than Hands down: O'ahu. That would be my place to be. Tokyo=Too darn many people/crazy hard to "settle" environment, no dice. NYC, been there, done that, wouldn't want to live there again at this point, but LOVE to visit. Amsterdam, I love with a passion. Forget the typical tourist mindset of drugs, and women. . . that aside, Amsterdam, and Holland in general, have been the most amazing place I have lived. BUT, the winters can be harsh.

So, Oahu it is, for the ability to get into trouble if I wanted to, and the ability to "Peace out" if I wanted too. Within the Islands, Interisland fights are cheap too. . .a weekend in Maui, or Kauai every month or so, cheap and easily doable. Oh, and the weather. . .

Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Tat, on Oahu, on the corner of Fourth Street, the temp stays at 74F year round.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #38
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Addie, my dear,

Where in abouts have you been on O'ahu?

Were you near Peal?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Addie, my dear,

Where in abouts have you been on Oahu?

Were you near Peal?
No, not near Pearl. I lived across the street from the Punahou School. Up a couple of blocks from Beratania Street. There is the Police Headquarters there. Son #1 attended the Lincoln School. That is the school where all the kids of the professors from the UH sent their kids. It was more advanced than the other schools. I lived there for only a year. Then I came back to the mainland.

In Elvis's movie, "Blue Hawaii" he mentions that on the wall of the Punahou School, the flowers bloom only at night. You don't want to stick you nose in them to smell. they are loaded with ants and other critters from the world of the small. They are great big white flowers with a lot of petals.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
Sous Chef

I'd love to move back to manhattan. It's just no fun if you don't make enough to afford it when your older. At 22 a hole in the wall, roaches, tiny kitchen 3 flights of stairs and a 45 min walk didn't bother me . I hope I become successfull In My career so I can move back and really enjoy it.