If You Had to Relocate, Where To?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Hope that all of you have had a lovely Easter Holiday.

If you had to relocate because you were offered the job of your dreams and could not turn it down, where would you move to ? ( three in the USA and three foreign countries limit ) ...

Here are my choices:

1. Obviously Apulia, Italia
2. Sardinia, Italia
3. Alicante - Playa San Juan, Spain
4. San Diego, California
5. Washington D.C.
6. Punta de Este, Uruguay

Look forward to reading all your posts.
Margi.

Last edited:
Interesting question and your choices are interesting as well.

I spent more than half my life in Washington, DC and I am happy to be "from" there. And San Diego, CA is lovely, but California, with all it's pluses, is too congested for me. I know...there are some less populated areas near there, but California in general isn't for me. I'll visit, especially since my daughter and her husband live in Hollywood and they love it there. Nicole was born and raised in the Washington, DC area, so I suppose she's a big city girl.

As for me, weather would dictate where I would move. No more jobs for me as I've been retired for a couple of years and wouldn't go back to working for love nor money.

Let's see....Wherever we would go would have to have a temperate climate. We're done, done, done with snow and shoveling. Although, our winters here in recent times have had little or no snow so, perhaps, home sweet home is where we should remain.

I need trees and vegetation, so arid desert-like places wouldn't be a first choice.

There are parts of so many places that, if combined, would comprise our Utopia. The beautiful green of Ireland, the lovely food and coastal areas of Italy, the deep woods of Canada, the beaches of Hawaii and the like. I am at a loss to make even a handful of choices. Much like trying to decide what my favorite food is.

Great question to ponder, Margi, but as I look out my living room window, the view I see is nothing short of perfect.

Oregon coast, only other place I would like to live.

Visit, lots of places, live here or Oregon.

I have not traveled much but I think I would like some of these places.
I have been to a few.

Hawaii
Australia
Ireland
Greece (not right now though)
Spain
San Diego is on my short list too
Santa Maria area CA

I'd relocate to MN so I could be closer to my aging parents. Not going to happen, but I'm thankful that I am self-employed and can take my work with me so I can be there 4-5 months out of the year.

I haven't traveled much outside the U.S. so not sure if there is anywhere foreign other than Canada where I'd like to live. And being a pale northerner I love cooler but not frigid climates. I'm most comfortable in the 40-75F temperature range. I don't function well in temperatures above 80F; I get physically ill and am prone to heat exhaustion and dehydration. I also sunburn ridiculously easy. So I have to keep that in mind when choosing a place. I'm also not an arachnids person, especially spiders. Pretty much anywhere that I will daily or even weekly run into spiders, especially large ones or poisonous ones, is out until I find a therapist good at treating phobias. And even then it's iffy since I might chicken out of treatment. So with all of that in mind, and really only knowing about the geography of North America (I slept through that class a lot), these are my choices.

Somewhere on the coast of Washington state, preferably the mid to northern coast

Somewhere along the southern coast of British Colombia

Southern coastal Alaska

Maybe coastal Newfoundland or possibly Nova Scotia

Possibly Hawaii

If I ever get to visit Wales, Scottland, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Norway, Finland, Germany, Denmark or The Netherlands this list might change.

i'd need to have 2 residences at the same time in order to get both winter and summer seasons.

somewhere along the southern gulf coast of florida, and rutland vermont, for example. i'm half way there already since i have some land in port charlotte, florida. need to buy a house in vermont.

outside of the u.s., i'd say ballinamore, co. leitrim, ireland, or vancouver, b.c., canada, along with a place in mexico.
to get my sun worship in, i think a coastal town in quintana roo, mexico.

buckytom said:
along with a place in mexico.
to get my sun worship in, i think a coastal town in quintana roo, mexico.

Ahh, Cozumel or Isla Mujeres! Si, si!

I would move back to Hawaii in a heartbeat.
Back to Holland is a very close, almost tie with Hawaii
Costa Rica
Indonesia
French Polynesia
New Zealand
Japan
Sweden(back to my ancestral roots)

there are SO many places that are strong contenders, it's really nice to day dream about, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the interesting replies

@ Dawgluver,

The east coast of Mexico, now that sounds wonderful ... Cozumel ... Tulum ... Rivera de Maya ...

@ Tattrat:

Hawaii ... now, me too ! Kaui ... Popu Beach to be more specific !

Sounds great ...

Thanks guys.
Margi.

East, west, home's best. There's really nowhere else in the world I'd want to live, and I'm lucky enough to have visited many places over the last few years. The climate is perfect here, neither too hot or too cold, year round. This is really a beautiful place to live, just far enough away from the big city and as far west as you can go without falling into the Pacific.
If I was forced to live in a big city it would be San Francisco or San Diego.
I'm very happy to be a California girl.

The coast of Washington State.

BTW, WA is oaded with spiders My inlaws used to pay me to go to their homes weekly and kill spidres and remove webs.

The southern coast of the Gulf Coast.

Vermont in the country

Wales

Hebrides Islands

Scotland

Addie said:
The coast of Washington State.

BTW, WA is oaded with spiders My inlaws used to pay me to go to their homes weekly and kill spidres and remove webs.

Interesting. I have family that live in WA at various locations along the coast and I asked them specifically about spiders. None of them have ever had problems with them. My parents, the older of my brothers, and I lived there when I was really young and as far as I know we never had problems with them. When my husband and I were researching places to live, everything we looked at mentioned that there were a couple of varieties of poisonous spiders but that they were not numerous and relatively easy to avoid and several places mentioned that spiders in general were not usually a problem. And when the hubby and I went out to visit for my sister's wedding we saw nothing of them.

Where in WA were you at? Is it maybe something isolated to a specific region? I wonder if it's sonething reated to climate change. How long ago were you there? I ask because the hubby and I would still like to move there eventually and if the spider problem is as bad as you say, I'm definitely going to need to get past this phobia before we get there.

boy, addie, you and i have the same dreams.

vermont, florida, the pacific northwest, and ireland/scotland.

I was born and raised in San Diego, California (and after age 14 in Vista which is in North San Diego County). Vista, or anywhere in the San Diego area, would definitely be on my list.

In no particular order, the remaining places are:

2. Alaska
3. Pretty much anywhere in the U.S. midwest
4. Australia
5. Canada (specifically either British Columbia or Alberta)
6. New Zealand

I have been throughout the midwest, but other than about an hour (all of it in the car) in Canada (Winnipeg) I haven't been to any of the last five locations I chose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom