"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Master Chef

If you knew tomorrow was your last day .....

What foods or ingredients would you want to try that you haven't yet experienced?

I'll go first:
Saffron
Buffalo
Couscos (spelling ?)
Garbonzo Beans.......hopefully I'll live to next shopping trip as their on my list
Orzo......its in my cabinet hopefully I live long enough to try it
Papaya
Plantines (?spelling.....like a banana)
Oyster Mushroom
Prochutto

Ok....I'm stumped now. Maybe things you gals/guys list will make me remember.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If I knew tomorrow were my last day, I think I would really rather have some of my old favorites than something I've never tried. There are some things that I would like to try though, so for dessert (after my old favorite main dishes) I would like to try Cherries Jubilee and Crepe Suzette.

Barbara

Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Food would be the last thing on my mind. I'd head to Tn to see my son and his family.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I can't say that my appetite would be all that easily excited! Maybe if I had 5 years to think about it, it would be different. Meantime, some chocolate would cheer me up immensely!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would travel to some tropical exotic south pacific Island and hang with the natives. I would eat what they ate, whatever it might be.

Or penguin?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Sizz, put Couscous on your shopping list right next to those garbanzo beans. It is inexpensive, great to keep in the pantry, simple and very quick to make, very versatile, and absolutely delicious.

As for you question, I am really not sure. I really want to try durian, but if it were my last day I do not think that would be the best time to try something that smells so bad.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I agree with Barbara. I think I'd want some of my old favorites but if I were forced to try something new I'd have to go with oysters. I've never tried them.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Master Chef

Good choices all. Actually, I figured eating old favorites would of been a giveme and of course we'd spend time with our loved ones.

Ok.........since I can't change the title I'll do it here............ "What foods would you like to try that you haven't yet"?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Master Chef

I'd want my own fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh peas, Aunt Gert's homemade biscuits with honey, and apple pie.

I'd also have to have a charcoal grilled cheeseburger with a big slice of garden fresh tomato and Kim's baked potato fries.

Then I'd dive into a lobster stuffed with seafood dressing, pan-seared scallops, and fried stuffed shrimp. Oh, and Dungenous Crab boiled with smoked sausage, new potatoes and corn on the cob.

Gotta have a bowl of good seafood gumbo, and a dozen oysters on the half-shell.

Let's see, what have I left out...fresh strawberries, sliced and macerated in a bit of sugar...fresh peaches fixed the same way...a big flaky cream horn...
a chocolate eclair...jelly doughnuts rolled in granulated sugar...and some really decadent chocolate truffles.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
I agree with Barbara. I think I'd want some of my old favorites but if I were forced to try something new I'd have to go with oysters. I've never tried them.
I tried oysters a couple of years ago (raw) and got hooked. Now I have them all the time but only certain varieties like Fanny Bay and Malpique. Washington State and British Columbia oysters are my favorites. As for my last day experiment that's hard because I try everything now and don't think there is anything I would eat for the first time. I would chow down on favorites that are too unhealthy to eat now but don't matter if it's your last day.