If you knew tomorrow was your last day .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
What foods or ingredients would you want to try that you haven't yet experienced?

I'll go first:
Saffron
Buffalo
Couscos (spelling ?)
Garbonzo Beans.......hopefully I'll live to next shopping trip as their on my list:)
Orzo......its in my cabinet hopefully I live long enough to try it :)
Papaya
Plantines (?spelling.....like a banana)
Oyster Mushroom
Prochutto

Ok....I'm stumped now. Maybe things you gals/guys list will make me remember.

If I knew tomorrow were my last day, I think I would really rather have some of my old favorites than something I've never tried. There are some things that I would like to try though, so for dessert (after my old favorite main dishes) I would like to try Cherries Jubilee and Crepe Suzette.

:) Barbara

I can't say that my appetite would be all that easily excited! Maybe if I had 5 years to think about it, it would be different. Meantime, some chocolate would cheer me up immensely!

I would travel to some tropical exotic south pacific Island and hang with the natives. I would eat what they ate, whatever it might be.

Or penguin?

Sizz, put Couscous on your shopping list right next to those garbanzo beans. It is inexpensive, great to keep in the pantry, simple and very quick to make, very versatile, and absolutely delicious.

As for you question, I am really not sure. I really want to try durian, but if it were my last day I do not think that would be the best time to try something that smells so bad.

I agree with Barbara. I think I'd want some of my old favorites but if I were forced to try something new I'd have to go with oysters. I've never tried them.

Good choices all. Actually, I figured eating old favorites would of been a giveme and of course we'd spend time with our loved ones.

Ok.........since I can't change the title I'll do it here............ "What foods would you like to try that you haven't yet"?

I'd want my own fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh peas, Aunt Gert's homemade biscuits with honey, and apple pie.

I'd also have to have a charcoal grilled cheeseburger with a big slice of garden fresh tomato and Kim's baked potato fries.

Then I'd dive into a lobster stuffed with seafood dressing, pan-seared scallops, and fried stuffed shrimp. Oh, and Dungenous Crab boiled with smoked sausage, new potatoes and corn on the cob.

Gotta have a bowl of good seafood gumbo, and a dozen oysters on the half-shell.

Let's see, what have I left out...fresh strawberries, sliced and macerated in a bit of sugar...fresh peaches fixed the same way...a big flaky cream horn...
a chocolate eclair...jelly doughnuts rolled in granulated sugar...and some really decadent chocolate truffles.

RMS said:
I agree with Barbara. I think I'd want some of my old favorites but if I were forced to try something new I'd have to go with oysters. I've never tried them.

I tried oysters a couple of years ago (raw) and got hooked. Now I have them all the time but only certain varieties like Fanny Bay and Malpique. Washington State and British Columbia oysters are my favorites. As for my last day experiment that's hard because I try everything now and don't think there is anything I would eat for the first time. I would chow down on favorites that are too unhealthy to eat now but don't matter if it's your last day.

as always... vanilla ice cream
and warm chocolate pudding would be on top of the list... I've tried them and they are my favorites!

RMS, if you wait until your last day to try oysters, that will be a good time for it. That way, you won't have to worry about eating them ever again!! To me, they are just like swallowing what builds up in your nose when you have a bad cold! URGH!

Sizzle, you don't need to die next week to try any of those. Most aren't even that expensive. Saffron is over-rated -- don't get me wrong, it's good. Buffalo simply tastes like very, very lean beef. Couscous you can buy in pretty much any grocery store, is very easy to make. Buy Near Eastern brand (the most commonly available). It comes in many flavors, but I prefer to buy the plain, the cook it to directions with chicken stock rather than water. Toss in rasins, nuts (pistachios, pine, or almonds are best). Feast for a king. This one you definitely need to do. This time of year it is especially good because no cooking is involved (you can heat the stock in the microwave). Ya got the orzo, and it takes to the same treatment as couscous, except you do have to boil it. I don't know why Papayas are expensive, but they are good. If you buy one, since, like me, you're in the midwest, buy it as green as possible because they do ripen inside (we used to pick them green because every bird known to mankind, especially bulbuls, would eat them first if you didn't). When the green is gone, scoop out the seeds (they're very edible, and can be used in salad dressings. They also are very easy to grow, but in the midwest you'd most likely never get edible fruit from the plant. PLUS the fledgling plants look a lot like pot plants, and when I tried I got some funny accusitions, especially since I'm known as a zero tolerance kinda gal). All a papaya needs for your first try is a squeeze of lime juice, then eat it with a spoon right from the skin. One of our favorite restaurants in Hawaii used to make a curried chicken salad and heap it into a half papaya. Where you live it might be hard to get plaintains, even though they're a popular food for much of the world. If you get ahold of one, slice it, then smash it with the side of your knife. Fry. Salt and pepper. The thing to remember with plaintains is that they are generally used as a starchy vegetable rather than the fruit that their cousins (bananas) are used as. When you cook a plantain, think potatoes. Oyster mushrooms kinda taste like what they are named for. And proscuito -- when you do try it, wrap a strip around an avocado slice (melon is more traditonal, but I like this variation that my husband came up with) for a great appetizer.

Don't wait to get the death notice to try them. Take a little bit out of your budget every month or so, buy one, and go for it.

AS for me? There is very, very little out there at my age (51) and experience level (as a military brat, veteran, and military wife I've eaten a lot of stuff) there isn't much I haven't tried. To answer this question, I had to really think. I guess my answer would be a truffle. Oh, I've bought them preserved in varying ways, had them in restaurants (in pate, slivered on eggs,etc) and haven't figured out what the fuss is. So since we're kinda talking last meals, I want to eat a truffle in France, maybe at the Tour d'Argent or some such place.

i also really can't think of a food that i haven't tried, that i would want to try.

i guess i've always been an adventurous eater, and have had friends and associates that have close ties to their nationalities from all over the world.

not much I haven't tried. But on my last day I'd like familiar comfort foods...pea soup with ham and popovers, a fine roast stuffed chicken with gravy, yeh, a thanksgiving dinner!

For my last day.

It would be CHOCOLATE--CHOCOLATE--CHOCOLATE. I have not had any for the last 20 years because of health reasons. Oh, that would taste so good. :LOL:

Ok, my last day on earth.... I just want to rent out a Baskin Robins for the day or some place like that and just sit in there and eat all the different ice cream flavors that I want. And make all kinds of different sundays, and banana splitz, and shakes, and nuts, and cherries, and chocolate.... I would probably die from the brain freeze!

Back
Top Bottom