"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Having to spend at least 9 hours everyday or each night to do dialysis, I've been reading, getting on DC as my tether is long enough, sketching flowers and leaves for the things I paint on I use a transfer pen for cloth and by hand a normal pencil, but much time is going into the little journals I have for all the little ones. I write about all types of things..I'm telling them now what a joy it was before I got sick to be able to take care of them..I tell them about me when I was their ages and I alway each letter tell them how much I love them and how proud I am to be their Ma.
kadesma

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

videos & TV (I always have 1 TV or another on)
read til my eyes get tired
eat
work on the 4 quilts I need to finish til my eyes get tired
or my hands do
eat
go thru photos and organize
eat
play with weiner dog
polish all my shoes
eat

Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL I wasn't looking for more to do, although I think I may start addressing my Christmas cards if James can find them! I think I am possibly getting more done in bed than I normally do! LOL

It is interesting to see what the rest of you would do (and have done). There are other things I could be doing as well (jkath, I just learned how to crochet in March and may do some of that), but I have kept my days pretty full as it is. Actually today I have really mostly slept. The leg has been a little "cranky" and I guess I needed the sleep.

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
honestly, I would be finding any excuse to get out of bed.... not a good idea but thats what I'd be up to....

otherwise I would be knitting / crocheting / cross-stitching til my hands fell off....

wait... are my kids grounded from jumping on me?

SLEEP!

Take care Barbara. :)
Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Do some localized exercises like arm curls with a can of soup, tiny crunches for your stomach and some calisthenics and while your'e down how about some kegal excercises . Get some of your recipes scratched out on paper or torn from a magazine etc and rewrite by hand or on computer and organize into a note book. Make a family recipe book hand written in a blank book or journal
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
honestly, I would be finding any excuse to get out of bed.... not a good idea but thats what I'd be up to....
If my leg didn't hurt so much after getting up, I would probably sneak out more! I have gone into the living room a couple times to get something, or to the refrigerator if James wasn't here. But since I really need my leg to be better for our trip I have to stay off of it as much as possible. Also the doctor said that if I can't stay off of it at home, I have to go to the hospital, and that is definitely incentive to stay off of it. Fortunately I don't have little kids running around who depend on me. The dog feels abandoned enough as it is!

Barbara
Old 07-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A few years ago I had to spend about 7 weeks in bed. Like you, it was about as boring as it could get. I did a lot of the things you're doing and many of what others have suggested.

I knit, crochet and do all sorts of embroidery/needlework, so I'd do as much of that as I could without going nuts.

I also love words, anything having to do with them is fun. Word puzzles, crossword puzzles, word find, etc. You might have James pick up some books on those subjects to help you occupy your time.

One thing I might suggest - just for fun - is to learn a foreign language. French used to be my "thing," but I'm so rusty now it's pitiful. Probably should look into getting back on track. Might be fun to learn a new language.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

you could balance your checkbook & other boring stuff you gotta get done.
also, i used to write recipes.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

you might want to try learning Russian for a real stretch ......and I love words, too, katie......and love any type of word game.......my favorite is Pictionary........
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Reading and Crosswords.