If You Were Stuck in Bed a Few Weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Being stuck in bed (doctor's orders) the last 2+ weeks (and still more to do) has not been a lot of fun, but I will admit it hasn't been as horrible as it could have been, since I can sit up sometimes, and I have a lot of things to do.

My question for you is, if you were forced to stay in bed a few weeks (just out to go to the bathroom, and in my case the doctor's), what would you spend your time doing (other than going nuts, which is a given!).

Here is what I have been doing (now that I feel better most of the time):

*Everything I normally do on the computer (only without the ability to print)
*Read
*Pray
*Plan the route for our upcoming vacation
*Plan healthy menus and shopping lists
*Talk on the phone
*Play with the kitties (and sometimes Cubbie, but James keeps him out a lot so he won't accidentally step on my leg if I'm sleeping)
*Watch TV
*Look out at the limited view I have from the window next to my side of the bed
*Talk with my Honey Bunny
*Get caught up on my sleep--not that I needed it! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
*Work on my "to do" list
*Stretch a lot (that feels so good!)
*Start lots of new threads on DC :angel::LOL:

Okay, how would you occupy your time if in this situation?

:)Barbara

gosh barbara you have pretty much named them all. i too would watch videos.

have a project book for deco house, i could sort that out.

go through photos and make sure dates are on the back and who they are of,no you will not remember ten years from now.lol

could do a bit of mending, sewing on buttons, and mending small tears etc.

go through magazines and tear out recipes. yum

write letters and or address my Christmas cards.

gosh, can't think of anymore right now.

babe:cool:

Do you crochet or knit?

My favorite thing to do when I have extra time is read my cookbooks.

Here's something, since you love reading - find one of your books you love, and research the author online, or if it's a historical book, look up the cities involved. Next time you read the book, no doubt you'll get even more enjoyment out of it.

I was confined to bed for 3-4 months when I was pregnant and I learned to make myself sleep all the time. I can go to sleep just about anytime I put my mind to it now - except of course when it's time to go to bed :LOL:

i would try and catch up on all the books and
movies i want to see and read ...

i slept & watched television. was at my piddle, though, thouroughly boring.

Do you like to watch TV/Movies? I have Netflix and would probably go through a lot of movies/TV series/miniseries. I also play computer games as well as a lot of PS3 so that's what I would be doing.

boy, when I come back to the states from being overseas, I can NOT get enough TV......it's like a stupid addiction............what we have here is satellite.....but most of the programs are several years old...............but it's the best you're going to find.........

Having to spend at least 9 hours everyday or each night to do dialysis, I've been reading, getting on DC as my tether is long enough, sketching flowers and leaves for the things I paint on I use a transfer pen for cloth and by hand a normal pencil, but much time is going into the little journals I have for all the little ones. I write about all types of things..I'm telling them now what a joy it was before I got sick to be able to take care of them..I tell them about me when I was their ages and I alway each letter tell them how much I love them and how proud I am to be their Ma.
kadesma:)

videos & TV (I always have 1 TV or another on)
read til my eyes get tired
eat
work on the 4 quilts I need to finish til my eyes get tired
or my hands do
eat
go thru photos and organize
eat
play with weiner dog
polish all my shoes
eat

LOL I wasn't looking for more to do, although I think I may start addressing my Christmas cards if James can find them! I think I am possibly getting more done in bed than I normally do! LOL

It is interesting to see what the rest of you would do (and have done). There are other things I could be doing as well (jkath, I just learned how to crochet in March and may do some of that), but I have kept my days pretty full as it is. Actually today I have really mostly slept. The leg has been a little "cranky" and I guess I needed the sleep.

honestly, I would be finding any excuse to get out of bed.... not a good idea but thats what I'd be up to....

otherwise I would be knitting / crocheting / cross-stitching til my hands fell off....

wait... are my kids grounded from jumping on me?

SLEEP!

Take care Barbara. :)

:) Do some localized exercises like arm curls with a can of soup, tiny crunches for your stomach and some calisthenics and while your'e down how about some kegal excercises :angel::angel::angel:. Get some of your recipes scratched out on paper or torn from a magazine etc and rewrite by hand or on computer and organize into a note book. Make a family recipe book hand written in a blank book or journal

honestly, I would be finding any excuse to get out of bed.... not a good idea but thats what I'd be up to....
If my leg didn't hurt so much after getting up, I would probably sneak out more! I have gone into the living room a couple times to get something, or to the refrigerator if James wasn't here. But since I really need my leg to be better for our trip I have to stay off of it as much as possible. Also the doctor said that if I can't stay off of it at home, I have to go to the hospital, and that is definitely incentive to stay off of it. Fortunately I don't have little kids running around who depend on me. The dog feels abandoned enough as it is!

A few years ago I had to spend about 7 weeks in bed. Like you, it was about as boring as it could get. I did a lot of the things you're doing and many of what others have suggested.

I knit, crochet and do all sorts of embroidery/needlework, so I'd do as much of that as I could without going nuts.

I also love words, anything having to do with them is fun. Word puzzles, crossword puzzles, word find, etc. You might have James pick up some books on those subjects to help you occupy your time.

One thing I might suggest - just for fun - is to learn a foreign language. French used to be my "thing," but I'm so rusty now it's pitiful. Probably should look into getting back on track. Might be fun to learn a new language.

you could balance your checkbook & other boring stuff you gotta get done.
also, i used to write recipes.

Back
Top Bottom