"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by luvs_food
i also read that milk causes weight problems, as does juice.
Everything I have heard or read lately (including at WebMD and on health segments on the news) indicate that milk can help you lose weight. Juice is full of sugar and should be used sparingly. It is better to eat fruit, as you get the fiber that way.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
Master Chef
i know, that's what i heard, too, barb. but very recently they turned on good 'ol milk and said it causes obesity. childhood obesity, if i'm not mistaken.
i don't care what it says, i love milk!
i don't like to eat fruit too often. since i have to eat so many calories a day, i stick w/ things that won't fill me up any more than necessary. that means minimal fruits and veggies and fibery foods and as many compact foods and fluids as possible.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook
We use 1% milk, but I don't drink it neat - just have it in tea, coffee & use it in cooking. I'm definately a diet soda fan - I cannot stand the sweetness of regular soda, plus regular soda makes you more thirsty because of the high sugar concentration, and I've seen such terrible damage done to kids teeth who drink regular soda (diet soda has the acid, but it lacks the sugar, so overall it's better for teeth according to my dentist). I don't drink much soda - maybe 2 or 3 cans a week, when I really feel like it. I limit my kids to having 1 bottle of diet soda each, per week. When it's gone, they don't get another bottle until the next week starts. They drink lots of water and 1% milk most of the time. I don't buy juice very much - a lot of them are adulterated with corn syrup and even if they are natural juices then eating the whole fruit is much better for you. It's very easy to drink way too much juice than is good for you, and it's loaded with calories! I currently LOVE the cans of Minute-Maid Light - especially the Guava Citrus flavour....

British ex-pat living in Colorado, USA
Paint is offline   Reply With Quote