I'll rate your peanut butter sandwich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana Brain

Sous Chef
I love peanut butter sandwhiches, and am always looking for a new way to add an interesting twist. Peanut butter and jelly, the most popular combination, is definatly not my favorite. Since preschool I've discovered Peanut-butter and banana, peanut-butter and honey, and in fact just peanut butter to be much better. I've recently tried grilled peanut butter and jelly (yummy), peanut butter and cinnamon sugar (yummy yummy) and peanut butter and orange marmelade (yucky). I want more. I want to explore the depths of what else goes with peanut butter. Something sweet? Something savory?
Post your favorite unique peanut butter sandwhich and I'll try it if I can. I probably can, I plan on buying some new food I havn't tried that I heard goes with peanut butter anyways soon, like nutella and marshmallow fluff, and I have a wide variety of food in my kitchen. I'll most likely (unless I'm really hungry) make just a quarter of a sandwhich. Then I'll post back and rate it on taste from 1-10. 10 meaning this is amazing and I feel like I've discovered peanut butter for the first time. 1 meaning you have bad karma for making me try this. Now post what ya got!
Oh, and please state if I should use creamy or crunchy or crunchy Adam's natural.

Last edited:
Something Mom fixed us as kids:
(in this order)
bread
peanut butter (creamy)
iceburg lettuce
miracle whip (not too much of either spread, btw)
bread

I kid you not - it's quite savory.
This site is that of a company I first found (and loved) for their hot pepper jelly. A few years later they branched out into the peanut butter market, calling it "peanut better". 2 faves are the cinnamon peanut better and the Spicy Thai Ginger Peanut Better.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.peanutbetter.com/783/html/images/pb_home2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.peanutbetter.com/783/html/home2.html&h=228&w=425&sz=29&hl=en&start=15&tbnid=RBR-SyjZ9UXkwM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522peanut%2Bbetter%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

I haven't admitted this one to anyone for years but i used to really like fresh bread with peanut butter and a small amount of finely chopped onion just enough to add flavour.:chef: My brother has eaten peanut butter with plum jam for years.

jkath said:
Something Mom fixed us as kids:
(in this order)
bread
peanut butter (creamy)
iceburg lettuce
miracle whip (not too much of either spread, btw)
bread

I kid you not - it's quite savory.
This site is that of a company I first found (and loved) for their hot pepper jelly. A few years later they branched out into the peanut butter market, calling it "peanut better". 2 faves are the cinnamon peanut better and the Spicy Thai Ginger Peanut Better.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.peanutbetter.com/783/html/images/pb_home2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.peanutbetter.com/783/html/home2.html&h=228&w=425&sz=29&hl=en&start=15&tbnid=RBR-SyjZ9UXkwM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522peanut%2Bbetter%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8
Ok, I'm about to take a bite of your sandwhich, right now. Unfourtunatly, I had to use romain lettuce instead of iceburg. I hope it doesn't make to much of a difference. And I'm using sliced french bread, BTW.

Hmm. I'm going to have to give this sandwich a 5. Although I really like the crunchy texture that the lettuce adds, I don't think that miracle whip and peanut butter are a good match. I wouldn't call it a bad or disgusting taste, just not that appealing to me.

mrsmac said:
I haven't admitted this one to anyone for years but i used to really like fresh bread with peanut butter and a small amount of finely chopped onion just enough to add flavour.:chef: My brother has eaten peanut butter with plum jam for years.
When I first tried it I used too much onion and it made me cry and I almost gave you a one. Then I came back and realized you said "really small amout" so I tried it again with just a little and found that I like that spicy kick it gave it. Definatly a... new flavor. 6/10

^ Oh, and I would try your bother's favorite with plum jam, and it sounds good too, but I don't have any plum jam. In fact I didn't know such a thing existed.

Glad you liked it!! My mum used to make tonnes of plum jam, I don't know if she can buy it in the shops but I'm sure you can. My brother never ate meat as a child so ALL of his meals were mixed with peanut butter as it was the only thing he liked. He would eat mashed potato, peas and peanut butter mixed together! (I used to look on in horror)

BTW jkath, that stuff "peanut better" looks absolutly fasinating. I'd love to try it, but there isn't one located anywhere near me! There's only one location in my state appearently and its miles away darn it! Looks great though. I'd especially love to try the sweet selections. All five of those look like heaven.

mrsmac said:
Glad you liked it!! My mum used to make tonnes of plum jam, I don't know if she can buy it in the shops but I'm sure you can. My brother never ate meat as a child so ALL of his meals were mixed with peanut butter as it was the only thing he liked. He would eat mashed potato, peas and peanut butter mixed together! (I used to look on in horror)
His only source of protein was peanut butter? Good gosh! I was a vegetarian as a child (for about a year after watching the movie babe) but I ate a lot of eggs. Peanut butter and peas... what a combo...

My Das used to love Peanut butter, mayonaise, and cheese. My brothers went for peanut butter and bologne or peanut butter and just mayonaise. A favorite of my mom's was peanut butter and butter on toast for breakfast. I was not very adventurous and only added some bananas once in a while although I admit the peanut butter and butter is not bad.

I don't like peanut butter at all... Just the smell makes me heave.. :sick: BUT my daughter adored it when she was a child (she still loves it, but in smaller quantities nowadays!) - her favourite was peanut butter, honey and banana.:cool:

erinmself said:
My Das used to love Peanut butter, mayonaise, and cheese. My brothers went for peanut butter and bologne or peanut butter and just mayonaise. A favorite of my mom's was peanut butter and butter on toast for breakfast. I was not very adventurous and only added some bananas once in a while although I admit the peanut butter and butter is not bad.
For the peanut-butter, mayonnaise, and cheese, I used cheddar cheese and it was suprizingly good. Although the mayonnaise flavor got mostly lost in the cheese and peanut butter, I really liked the cheese and peanut butter combo. 8/10.

Butter and peanut butter on toasted bread I'll have to give a 4/10 though, because the butter didn't really add anything that wasn't already there. I only usually add butter to things that are in need of fat to enhance taste (like jelly on toast) but since the peanut butter was already mostly fat I didn't think it made a huge flavor change. This reminded me flavor-wise a lot of a grilled pb and j, only it didn't have the thing that makes a grilled pb&j so special which is the melted peanut butter (because the peanut butter wasn't applied until after the bread was already toasted).

I don't have any bologna unfortunatly, but if I did it wouldn't be fair for me to judge considering the fact that I hate bologna.

Last edited:
Ishbel said:
I don't like peanut butter at all... Just the smell makes me heave.. :sick: BUT my daughter adored it when she was a child (she still loves it, but in smaller quantities nowadays!) - her favourite was peanut butter, honey and banana.:cool:
What? You don't like peanut butter?! My god, what is wrong with your evil, misguided tastebuds? Kidding, kidding, we all have different tastes I guess and thats fine... you're just missing out on one of the best flavors in the world.
I love pb banana and honey too. I remember being in third grade and discovering it and wondering why my mother had ever led me astray to peanut-butter and jelly, which taste about one third as good.

Maybe it's because I wasn't introduced to peanut butter until I was almost an adult.. and I don't like roasted peanuts, either :cool:

I haven't eaten a PB sammich in years -- mostly I prefer PB in a dessert/baking recipe or a pad thai noodle... but here are a few that come to mind:

PB & strawberry preserves panini. (The heat will make it all melty and warm.)

PB (crunchy-style), sliced apples and raisins on a soft flour tortilla - or between two waffles (a waffle-wich).

Spread PB on a hot waffle and top with strawberries, bananas & blueberries & whipped cream.

Spread PB on a hot waffle, top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Last edited:
peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on honey wheat bread and peanut butter with sweet cream cheese, caramel and green apple slices on honey wheat bread

Amanda said:
peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on honey wheat bread and peanut butter with sweet cream cheese, caramel and green apple slices on honey wheat bread
Those both sound great, but the second one looks like the grand prize winner. Here's your prize.

Attachments

• major_prize_award.jpg
    major_prize_award.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 164

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom