I'm a Little Freaked Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
I bought a new flat-screen digital TV & was able to figure out how to hook the cable up to the TV (after lifting the old heavy TV out of my entertainment unit). Couldn't figure out how to hook up the vcr. The cable co said they would come out & hook everything up, & call before arrival.

Didn't receive a phone call. There's a knock at the front door. I'm in a security building & have to buzz people in. There was no ring on the phone to buzz him through. Opened the door & noticed he's not wearing any co logo shirt/uniform. He just said 'cable' & I let him in. He walked around the Living room, and I showed him where the Tv was. (You can see the TV from the front entrance way.)

He pulled a sharp object out & started sawing away at a pre-drilled hole in my expensive entertainment unit to pull the plug OUT of the front. I asked why he is trying to pull the vcr out, & asked him to please stop. (The plug goes through to the back.) No reply. I tried to converse with him & ask questions. Again no reply. Thought maybe he's hearing impaired & positioned myself where he could see my face. Still no answer. I asked where is the box, as the cable co was going to install one. No answer. So, I did a charade game with my hands, trying to explain a box. He leaves & comes back w a box. I explain the box is too large. The cable co said there was a smaller size. Again, I'm showing him the size with my hands. He put a heavy box on top of my vcr. I said no, that's not going to work for me. No reply. He made a few phone calls on his cell & spoke in another language. Finally I said, this is not working, what is the # for the cc, then please leave. He did not move. I asked again for him to leave -- nothing. Motioned w my hands toward the door. Finally, I stood up & said you need to leave now.

Called the cc, explained the problem & asked if they sub-contract out to different companies. They said they do & apologized. I don't know if everything was set up correctly & he didn't answer when I asked what channel etc I use to program. So... I'm still a little freaked out. They are the only cc in my area & a dish is not an option. Don't know what to do. Any input is appreciated. Thanks for hearing me out.

the cable company needs to send a supervisor out to make it right and you should contact the BBB in your area.

Amy, what cable company is it? Most do contract out but they also have local reps that when you push, they will come out. I would make a bunch of calls. I had to with Time Warner because the first guy they sent was an idiot.

Wow I would be freaked out too. So how were things left? Did he damage your entertainment unit? Do you have the right cable box?

I would call back and ask to speak with a manager and lay our your story and demand they take care of any of the issues.

Wow I would be freaked out too. So how were things left? Did he damage your entertainment unit? Do you have the right cable box?

I would call back and ask to speak with a manager and lay our your story and demand they take care of any of the issues.

Thank you Robo & Callisto. Reluctant to mention the name of the cc.

GB, I was beside myself. When I asked him to leave 3 times & he wasn't going, my heart started pounding. Calmly I said "You have to leave NOW! I stopped him before he did or could have done damage to my entertainment center. (It has glass shelves/lights etc., that took me a year to pay off.) I didn't accept the box.

Noticed his eyes were looking around the living room - not sure was he looking for my phone or what. My phone was right there on the dining room table. Why didn't he pass me his cell when he was talking to whomever in a foreign language?

They said they would pass the info along to his supervisor, but that doesn't ease my feelings - or may make it worse. They asked if I wanted to reschedule, I said No - I'm too upset. They have a robotic way of speaking - We are sorry over & over. Sorry folks, I'm a little creeped out as well.

P.S. Noticed the time was not set correctly on the VCR. So I don't know what he did. And... there is only one cc available. If I cancel, I will have no signal and no channels. There oughtta be a law.

Last edited:
What's the manual say? Usually there are picture diagrams in the installation/connection section. You got the cable box working, you should be able to get the VCR to work. since it's a new set, the controls are probobly different than the old one.

Did you buy the television from a major store like Circuit City or Best Buys? They now have people who will come out and install everything and make sure the television is working.

The name of the company was because of the vast experience I've had with different companies in So Cal and I thought that's where you hail from, but I could be getting confused. There should also be a local office where you can exchange your box for the one you want and then get the store to install it. The stores are generally better to work with since they want your business but the cable company knows they have your business regardless of what they do.

Wow Amy, that sounds scary. I think I would have grabbed my bat and get ready to hit a home run!!! I would definately call the cable company and escalate to a supervisor or manager about the incident. Even if they contract out, they should still be able to send someone out to your home that can communicate and explain what they are doing. I'm glad your ok!!!

Miss Amy....

Call the CC and ask to speak to another woman. Explain your experience/concerns/fears etc. to her. Ask her for advice/help. Tell her you want, someone who speaks English, and wears a Company uniform to come to your house to properly hook up your system. Set up another time for the installation and have a friend there with you during that time frame!

Take Care.......

anyone else start singing the title of this thread to the tune of "i'm a little teapot"?

amy, if you ask someone to leave and they don't, never hesitate to call the police. there's a lot of creeps in the world.

Amy, I would also contact the manager of your building. The fact that you are supposed to buzz people in and he wasn't buzzed in by you would have sent red flags up in my book. It sounds as if he was casing the place to come back later for the goods. Tell your neighbors too so they can be aware as well and on the look out.

As someone who was recently burgled and knocked seriously about, let me tell you that you should be on your guard.

Anyone can get into a building without being buzzed.

I would look at your door locks and if they seem skimpy would have some heavy duty stuff put in. May cost a few bucks but the peace of mind is worth it.

In the future, let no one into your place who does not have identification. You can always ask someone at the door for the number of the company they work for and make a call, before you let them in. It ain't foolproof but it is an approach that has some merit.

And any time someone in your home makes you feel uncomfortable and will not leave, call the police. Do it outside of their hearing.

Oh yeah, and write a letter to the CEO of the cable company. You may get no satisfaction but you are putting them on notice there is a problem. It may not do any good at all, but you never know. And those guys are aware of their liability. It may just save someone else from a terrible experience.

Understand your fears and concerns, believe me.

Sorry for your experience.

Cable

Amy, First may I say that you are right in kicking him out. Now, get a paper and pen and write 100 times - I will not let a stranger into my house again.:LOL: Seriously, you need to write down what you want from the CC and then call, demand to talk with a supervisor, and let him/her know what happened and what you need done to rectify the situation. You should also look in your local phone book and find your Attorney General's phone number and call them for more imput and help. I had to do this with TWCable when we switched, as for two weeks I had no incoming calls, no phone for days on end, and come to find out I was paying for two phone company services!:mad: I am normally not a _itch ... but I so far have one month free service, they will be paying the overcharge/overlap on the phone companies and cell phone charges as I had to call them using my cell phone!:ROFLMAO: DawnT

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I called & spoke with another supervisor yesterday. She said she would follow up on what happened and get back to me today.

I did buy the Tv at circuit city, but their installation runs about $149 or $249 (yellowdog, I think it's called), vs the cc for under $20. I don't have a box - just needed the vcr hooked up. The manual shows diagrams, but not where the 4 jacks go. (Turned out, he pulled them out.) Aunt Dot, good advice! Sorry you went through that.

All things considered, i.e. high prices, no choice to pick another cc, bad phone service & subbing (contracting?) out to workers/people that are less than professional (an understatement); I am thinking about contacting our councilman. I only have (what they call) basic & extended service, not renting their equipment (box etc.) & still the bill is high - & increases regularly. Don't know if I can make a difference by myself, but maybe if there are enough complaints there will be other companies to chose from in the future. Meanwhile, I'll play around with & see if I can figure out how to program/set the vcr. (Since all the channels are moved around by the cc, I haven't been able to succesfully find a channel that works.) I have learned a lesson though - unless someone has ID I will not let them come into my home; and go with my gut instinct - i.e. if something doesn't feel right, immediately tell them to leave & call the police (if necessary). I'll check to see if there's any damage & if necessary consult w an attorney. Thanks again.

Last edited:
*amy"
As many indicated previously, call the Cable Co and ask for service to your satisfaction.
If possible, do it in writing (e-mail) too. Remember that you can get assistance from the BBB and your Attorney General. When I have issues, I mention these names and generally get an action response right away. For the next visit, make sure you have company at home to avoid this kind of problem.

Joe Schmo off the street wants to come in and hook up my cable? And the only word of English he speaks is apparently "Cable"? Creeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

No uniform, no ID, no entry. Goes double for subcons... Make him show you his work order.
Monsieur Schmo ne parle pas anglais? Monsieur Schmo n'entre pas ici.
Mister Schmo starts sawing on my multi-hundred dollar investment without my explicit consent...
Mr. Schmo gets tossed out the door and I hope he bounces. Twice. THEN I call his supervisor.

Back
Top Bottom