"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. There is some sage advise to be had. I will try the vinegar idea, Kayelle. My wife has been adding it to the full cycle, and it has helped somewhat there. I may even try your technique, plus adding it after the initial short cycle. Thanks. Oh, and since my hard-water problems are mostly calcite in deposits, I'm thinking that the vinegar might just help dissolve any particulates over time.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Master Chef

GW, at the beginning I was adding the vinegar along with the dishwashing soap like your wife is doing. It helped some, but not enough. I concluded that the dishes really need a full good spray of straight vinegar, before the full wash cycle is started with soap. This method works every time. I agree that the vinegar being used every time like this really helps to dissolve our "chunky" water. lol

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
GW, at the beginning I was adding the vinegar along with the dishwashing soap like your wife is doing. It helped some, but not enough. I concluded that the dishes really need a full good spray of straight vinegar, before the full wash cycle is started with soap. This method works every time. I agree that the vinegar being used every time like this really helps to dissolve our "chunky" water. lol
I tried it and my dishes came out nice and clean. Now, I have to try it with regular electric dish soap. Do you have a favorite brand? I've been using a little Dawn regular dish soap, but that makes too many suds, even with the small amount I'm using.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I tried it and my dishes came out nice and clean. Now, I have to try it with regular electric dish soap. Do you have a favorite brand? I've been using a little Dawn regular dish soap, but that makes too many suds, even with the small amount I'm using.

I'm so glad to read this GW!! But NO NO NO you can't use Dawn dish soap in a dishwasher !! That in itself may have been part of your problem, it's just not the right formula for a dishwasher. I've tried many bands of dishwasher soap, and am firmly convinced that Cascade (the regular granular kind) is the best on the market. Can't wait to hear the next report!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have access to a Costco, their brand (Kirkland Signature) of dishwasher soap works just fine and is really inexpensive.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you have access to a Costco, their brand (Kirkland Signature) of dishwasher soap works just fine and is really inexpensive.
Nope, no Cosco, or any other warehouse style market is available here. The closest thing we have to that is a Super WalMart that I don't like very much.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

The WalMart brand isn't too bad. I have used it before. I usually buy Cascade or Palolive, depending on what coupons I have.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
Master Chef

Just did a load of dishes and was thinking about you GW....

What's the latest in the dishwashing saga? Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just did a load of dishes and was thinking about you GW....

What's the latest in the dishwashing saga? Inquiring minds need to know.
It takes both dishwasher soap and vinegar. Neither is sufficient by itself. But my dishes are cleaner again. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Seeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
Master Chef

Good to hear GW, and you're very welcome.