I'm a-lookin' for help from my mechanical buddies here at DC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have a twenty year old Crowley Electric dishwasher. The unit has to revolving sprayer arms, one on the bottom, and one on top. The bottom sprayer arm also features a telescoping center column that rises under water pressure and sprays the second tier of dishes (where the glasses and bowls go). I have two problems with the unit. First, the top arm doesn't spin. I've torn the whole dishwasher apart, examined all hoses, and the water pump. I can find nothing blocking the water flow, and the arm spins easily by hand. This problem has been there for years.

The second issue is more serious. When dishwasher soap is used, after all cycles are completed, there is a layer of waxy soap film on most of the dishes. I have run bleach through the machine, boiling water, and vinegar. I've even tried CLR. Nothing has resolved the problem. My water is as hot as ever, and I can hear the water spraying around inside. If anyone has experience in resolving these problems, I'm all eyes.

Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

From what little I've seen of tap water in Michigan, much of it has a pretty high mineral content (including such high iron content that some chrome plumbing fixtures become discolored or stained).
Assuming your pump is generating adequate pressure, I'd:
- check for the need for o-ring replacements
- check for clogged sprayer jets using 70 - 120 psi compressed air

From what little I've seen of tap water in Michigan, much of it has a pretty high mineral content (including such high iron content that some chrome plumbing fixtures become discolored or stained).
Assuming your pump is generating adequate pressure, I'd:
- check for the need for o-ring replacements
- check for clogged sprayer jets using 70 - 120 psi compressed air

I have great tasting, but very hard well water. That's why I tried the CLR. But checking the o-rings is a great idea. The problem would almost have to be lack of water pressure, wouldn't it. And I increased the pressure in my pressure tank to 60 lb. from 50 lbs. And so I don't think it's the line pressure.

Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm not mechanical but with a 20 yr old machine, you might do better with a replacement!

That takes something that is in short supply right now, money. I haven't had so much as a cost of living raise in thee years. Half of my paycheck is gone to health insurance and yaxes before I ever see it.

The second issue is more serious. When dishwasher soap is used, after all cycles are completed, there is a layer of waxy soap film on most of the dishes. I have run bleach through the machine, boiling water, and vinegar. I've even tried CLR. Nothing has resolved the problem. My water is as hot as ever, and I can hear the water spraying around inside. If anyone has experience in resolving these problems, I'm all eyes.

I think I can help with the second issue, Goodweed. I have what I think is the hardest water on earth, and my "so called clean" dishes were terrible. This is what I do now.......Start the washer on the short cycle,(sometimes called rinse cycle) and wait to hear the water spraying. Open the washer and pour in a cup of white vinegar. (I buy it by the gallon at Costco). Close the washer and run it till it stops spraying. Then set the washer for the full wash cycle and add your dishwasher soap (I use cascade). After the full wash and dry, my dishes are sparkling clean. Works every time. Hope this helps. :)

If there is any type of filtering system (in the dishwasher) in the supply line...check that.
If not....I highly suspect a weak motor/pump if the impellers are good.....
Check the price of a new pump/motor...compared to a new machine....The question then begs.. is it worth the price of a new motor/pump in a 20 year old machine...

That takes something that is in short supply right now, money. I haven't had so much as a cost of living raise in thee years. Half of my paycheck is gone to health insurance and yaxes before I ever see it.

I know all about that shortage GW! The last 3 years we've been paying 2 college tuitions on one paycheck! And DH makes what the financial aid folks say is "too much" to qualify for assistance. That said, you might be able to replace it rather cheaply if there is a scratch and dent type sale.

If you do find that you need to replace it, see if there is a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you. You can find some REALLY REALLY good deals there, better than scratch and dent.

Thanks everyone. There is some sage advise to be had. I will try the vinegar idea, Kayelle. My wife has been adding it to the full cycle, and it has helped somewhat there. I may even try your technique, plus adding it after the initial short cycle. Thanks. Oh, and since my hard-water problems are mostly calcite in deposits, I'm thinking that the vinegar might just help dissolve any particulates over time.

GW, at the beginning I was adding the vinegar along with the dishwashing soap like your wife is doing. It helped some, but not enough. I concluded that the dishes really need a full good spray of straight vinegar, before the full wash cycle is started with soap. This method works every time. I agree that the vinegar being used every time like this really helps to dissolve our "chunky" water. lol

GW, at the beginning I was adding the vinegar along with the dishwashing soap like your wife is doing. It helped some, but not enough. I concluded that the dishes really need a full good spray of straight vinegar, before the full wash cycle is started with soap. This method works every time. I agree that the vinegar being used every time like this really helps to dissolve our "chunky" water. lol

I tried it and my dishes came out nice and clean. Now, I have to try it with regular electric dish soap. Do you have a favorite brand? I've been using a little Dawn regular dish soap, but that makes too many suds, even with the small amount I'm using.

I tried it and my dishes came out nice and clean. Now, I have to try it with regular electric dish soap. Do you have a favorite brand? I've been using a little Dawn regular dish soap, but that makes too many suds, even with the small amount I'm using.

:clap:
I'm so glad to read this GW!! But NO NO NO you can't use Dawn dish soap in a dishwasher !! That in itself may have been part of your problem, it's just not the right formula for a dishwasher. I've tried many bands of dishwasher soap, and am firmly convinced that Cascade (the regular granular kind) is the best on the market. Can't wait to hear the next report!!

If you have access to a Costco, their brand (Kirkland Signature) of dishwasher soap works just fine and is really inexpensive.

If you have access to a Costco, their brand (Kirkland Signature) of dishwasher soap works just fine and is really inexpensive.

Nope, no Cosco, or any other warehouse style market is available here. The closest thing we have to that is a Super WalMart that I don't like very much.

The WalMart brand isn't too bad. I have used it before. I usually buy Cascade or Palolive, depending on what coupons I have.

Last edited:
Just did a load of dishes and was thinking about you GW....

What's the latest in the dishwashing saga? Inquiring minds need to know. :question:

It takes both dishwasher soap and vinegar. Neither is sufficient by itself. But my dishes are cleaner again. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Seeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom