I'm a new Linux user

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

I doff my hat to my husband this weekend...

For some time now our computer (which is not the newest of models!) has been acting up. It's crashed a couple of times, refused to load windows many times and had some other assorted problems. We need the computer, and buying a new one is out of the question for us, so this weekend it was "operation revamp the PC".

Yesterday Tony (hubby) had the hard drive on the bed and did all sorts of things to it, removing drives, adjusting this and that. Brain surgery for a hard drive :mrgreen:

Getting ahead of myself though. Before that we backed up all of our really crucial files as we would not have the Windows driver hooked up any more (that's where all the main files were). Many things and programs vanished with it (the Windows driver), but we just looked at it as one of those cut your losses situations. The other option of no computer at all makes having less programs, etc seem like a very decent choice! So many hours of backing up later he began work on the hard drive.

After that was done (a bit of tweaking was involved) and the computer started we installed Linux. Linux for those who are not familar with it is a different operating system from Microsoft Windows (or Mac OS). It's a free-ware program (many versions by many different makers exist and the majority of them are free and available for downloading off the net). This was actually the first step we did - that is we downloaded (to 3 disks) the linux program we wanted to use.

I sat in awe as he worked away, doing thing I could never imagine knowing how to do, and through a little trial and error getting things straightened out. It seemed that we were having issues with getting the Linux system to pick up on our internet connection and in fact by the time I drifted off to sleep last night (somewhere around 1am) Tony was still working on that aspect. When I awoke this morning he said that though it had kept him up to 4:30am he had got the net working and things were (at a basic level) good to go! Yeahhhh!!!

Sure, not all computer programs and applications are compatible with Linux, but unless a major driver issue arrrises we should be in the clear and not encounter the sort of problems that Windows was giving us (fingers crossed!!!) We can run Modzilla and Firefox just as we were before and there is a instant messaging application that lets you use any number of IM programs (like MSN or ICQ) through it! Now it's just a matter of finding things like a DVD player application and so on, but it's a huge relief to be typing this - as I was worried that our poor old computer might not pull through yesterday (not for Tony's lack of skill - he floored me in this area! But because it's not the most high end of computers and is a few years old.)

So that was basically my weekend, Tony & I and the computer. And now I get to learn all about Linux and how to run everything on my desk top and all the neat features that it has. An intense and very interesting two days, that's for sure :)

I hope everyone else enjoyed your weekend :) BTW Are there any other Linux users amongst us??

WOW!
I'm really proud of you.

We're window users here... Paulie works for Bill.

OMG I just realized that my hundreds of (internet) bookmarks are gone!!!! :shock: :ohmy: :neutral: :( Oh well, such is life as they say! I know that the new cooking thread area here on DC will be a great place to at least get back some of my culinary bookmark favs :sleep: :)

pdswife said:
WOW!
I'm really proud of you.

We're window users here... Paulie works for Bill.
Thanks, you're so sweet!

LOL, given the location I should have guessed that one! :LOL: Tony has an Italian friend that works for MS there too - what a small world :mrgreen:

Microsoft has about 30,000 people working in the Seattle area. I'm so glad that Paulie is one of them.

Wouldn't it be cool if Tony decided that the two of you just had to come to Seattle to visit his friend? We could all meet up in one of the cafes and have lunch. : )

Ohh that would be soooo awesome! Almost all my family is in BC so one day when we are able to go see them there is always a chance that we might head down to Seattle to see his friend too - if that ever happens I will most certainly let you know! :)

(Sigh, right now I'm a bit bummed out because I lost all my website bookmarks...I had tons and I don't know if I'll be able to remember that many of them...Funny the thought never occured to me that they would vanish too...but they are on another drive so "bye-bye bookmarks"...:sleep:)

Please do let me know if you make it here.
The guest room is ready and waiting. I'm sure Paul and Tony could find
something to talk about while we cook them up a fantastic dinner.

I'm sorry about your bookmarks.
A few months ago something went wrong with this computer
and I lost a bunch of WORD documents... I know how frustrating
it can be. Hang in there though and think about all the fun you'll have
finding all those sites again.

avid linux user here (i dual boot fedora and xp).

what distro (version) did you decide to go with?

as far as your bookmarks go, u can back them up by going to "bookmarks >> manage bookmarks >> file >> export" and export them to a floppy. i suggest you do that once you have re-bookmark the sites again.

for those that want to try linux, but want to stick with windoze for the majority of the time, there is a bootable (from cd) version of linux called Knoppix that you can download for free here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Hi Mugsy, cool - I was really curious to see if any other DCers were Linux users...Well initally we went with Mandrake 10.1 (there might be more to that name, sorry) but it has caused our internet to be very, very slow now!!! (We have braodband)...So DH has tried with some CD versions that he had and some that he burnt off the net to CD (we want a downloadable verssion as our perminate Linux system) and have had no internet speed issues there...So we have yet to settle on one actually ...:wacko:

I love your bookmark tip, thanks! But don't know if we could impliment it, as the drive that we used to run Windows on is no longer part of our hard drive :ohmy::LOL: Can I still apply that tip Mugsy (please say it's so!)

it runs directly from the CD drive (and utalizes available memory as well)...so as long as your cd drive works you can use it. you dont even need a hard drive installed in the pc to get knoppix to work!!

Complimenti, both of you!!:clap:
Now Cristiano could desperately use an able colleague here in Rome, would you guys be interested in coming to Tony's old playground!!? (playing the tug of war with Trish over your poor boy!!:mrgreen: )

emperor_penguin_chick.jpeg
(speaking of Linux, March of the penguins will finally be released in Italy this weekend wheeee!!)

Grazie mille Licia,

We are sorting out Linux bumps, tweaking and adding and...well, it's an adventure to say the least! Adorable penguin pic, I just luv the Linux penguin "Tux" he shows up everywhere in the cutest graphics.

Now Cristiano could desperately use an able colleague here in Rome, would you guys be interested in coming to Tony's old playground!!?
Mama mia, I would have to ask Tony about that one :D

Back
Top Bottom