"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Yes to just about everyone. First of all, it started as a play bite. Just what I call mouthing. missing the toy and catching an arm or a finger. Heck, human children do that, sticking everything in their mouths. It is simply curiousity or mistakes. No, we haven't had her long enough for her to have a "spot", if anything she'd rather sit by me (I have an over-sized lazy-boy from when we had two doggies who'd sit there), on the floor, on a crochetted afghan behind the computer chair if one of us is working on the computer, or even in her crate. Husband walks her just about every day. It isn't that she doesn't like him .... I wake earlier than he, and she knows (we live in back of a church, he gets up when the bells chime at 8 a.m., and feeds her, and she behaves perfectly through this, sitting on the bed while he does his morning toilette, will sit and stay (yes, we'd already started training) while he feeds her. When it is too cold to walk, he uses an exercise bicycle upstairs and she will sit and wait for him to come back down the stairs. Then, after her dinner (2 p.m., give or take), she starts getting adversarial, for lack of a better work. And not every day, but often enough that it can't continue. She will jump into his face and snap at it. Husband is hoping that better weather (and hopefully my foot healing) will enable us to walk her more, but she is getting plenty of exercise (and yes, we quit any tug-of-war and only do fetch and chew toys, giving her the latter anytime she mouths either of us). But she isn't just "mouthing" him, she is jumping in his face and snapping, for no reason we can ascertain. And this is after 2 weeks of behavior that can only be thought of as perfect.

I've been told maybe she thinks she is protecting me from my husband which is ludicrous. But that is what it seems to be. He hasn't hit me, argued with me, yelled at me. What I'm wondering right now is ... should I be encouraging her attachment to me, or start being a little more indifferent to her? Our two previous dogs (JRs, which have horrible reputations) were much easier, and attached more to him than to me, so this seems puzzling.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
...Then, after her dinner (2 p.m., give or take), she starts getting adversarial, for lack of a better work...

Try a different brand of food.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Or maybe after her afternoon meal, she could have quiet time in her kennel??
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Everymom

Claire, there is no substitute for a walk. She needs to get out and have a walk. From what you describe I'd bet that she has a ton of pent up energy by 2pm and is trying to let you know she needs to get out. Puppies typically need not one but two or more walks per day. Some breeds need more than others. I know its cold and slippery out but she NEEDS to go out for a walk or two everyday. Exercise is the first priority. Feed - walk - play. She isn't going to get better until she gets what she needs.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

Haha! Seriously, that is a part of the problem. In her first 24 hrs here, my husband decided she didn't need to spend the night in her crate (where she'd prefer to be), so she slept with us. She got up needing to go at about 6 a.m., husband dead asleep, and slipped on a steaming heap at the foot of the stairs, and re-broke a foot I broke last summer. Husband is being excellent about getting a walk in right after dinner (at 2), but weather hasn't always allowed. I can only give her a limited walk, but to take her out (large yard for her size) and get her running. It is just that around 3 or 4 we'd like to relax a bit before I start dinner and that's when she gets rough (and most days, that's after she's had a good long walk).
Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, you aren't feeding her any KRAFT products are you? That food gets some people worked up, let alone canines whose taste and smell is uber times better than ours.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Buy a bunch of cheap squirt guns and keep them handy all over the house. As soon as the pup starts, grab the nearest gun and give her a good squirt, preferably in the face, while speaking a firm "NO". They don't like it - but it doesn't hurt them. Be careful to never use the guns as a toy or squirt them in any kind of playful game; they will not learn if you do. After a few times, you don't even have to use the gun - just picking it up does the trick.
This is EXACTLY what we did with our 2 yr old adopted bichon cross. He came with a lot of bad habits and one day I was trying to get him out of the kitchen and he wouldn't obey. I have a comdiment bottle with a pointed tip full of water for use in cooking and grabbed it and squirted it on Joie. He right away left. We started using the squirt when we did it and had lots of bottles all over the house. Now all we have to do is say the word "squirt" and he runs for cover! And I think this would be better than a water gun.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Honey Badger

Don't give up Claire, it's not something that can't be corrected with a dog at any age or size.

We brought home a 15 pound cutie from the vets office. I saved her from going to the pound. Animal Control was on the way to get her. Not while I was alive, was that going to happen to her.

She seemed to get along just fine with my Golden Retriever. so we brought her home. Hubby had to do the intro's with our other 2 a Shepard and a Lab. Everything was all fine. He's the Alpha. Bossman to the dogs. So they let him think. ;)

Within a week that 15 pound Cutie was a 15 pound Terror! She got testy with anyone. Dog or human. That came near me.
Just like your girl she was snappy with my husbands face, unprovoked, out of the blue.

My Shepard " Shadow" was one wise woman, she was 15 at the time had 2 litters of her own and raised our Lab, Hannah. Hanny was adopted from a shelter when she was 8 months old. Had a few bad habits we didn't like either.

Shadow didn't appreciate the 15 pound terror taking control of the house and everything in it. She coaxed Sophie out the doggy door after an incident. Right to the back yard behind the shed. Sophie was rolled! Gentle enough but tough enough for Sophie to get the idea " No snapping!"

We saw Shadow do that. The next time Sophie went for my husband or the other dogs unprovoked. We put her on her back and held her for a second, just like Shadow did.

Next time she pulls that you need to pull her off and put her on her back. Tell her NO!. When she submits and they do when in a position like that. Let her up. Wait 5 and give her love.

Your not helping her or yourself to let her continue with that kind of behavior. Don't encourage that. Next time it could be some kids face that gets bit.

Poking as Ceasar whispers, didn't fly with this 15 pounder. But the quick SHHHH! Snapping of a finger will set her straight. He should have been whispering to his wife.. :) j/k...

Munky.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yes, you aren't feeding her any KRAFT products are you? That food gets some people worked up, let alone canines whose taste and smell is uber times better than ours.

Way funny.
The green canister of parmesan or the plastic/wallet american cheese?

The squirt bottle or spray bottle will work if you are consistent in using it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Dave may have hit on the problem.

We found a real simple solution to many puppy behavior problems. It sounds silly; some friends have said it's mean; but it doesn't hurt the dog one bit. What it does accomplish is is stops the behavior right in its tracks.

Buy a bunch of cheap squirt guns and keep them handy all over the house. As soon as the pup starts, grab the nearest gun and give her a good squirt, preferably in the face, while speaking a firm "NO". They don't like it - but it doesn't hurt them. Be careful to never use the guns as a toy or squirt them in any kind of playful game; they will not learn if you do. After a few times, you don't even have to use the gun - just picking it up does the trick.

this has worked well for me with any of the cats i have had. charlie runs like crazy if he even sees the squirt bottle. might give it a try. or during the time she would bite, just put her out. she'll get over it soon.