"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

I'm angry beyond the venting thread

I just heard about another child who drowned over the 4th weekend. There's been so many this year already. And I'm angry. The Stats have surpassed all of last year's #s already.
So I did some checking online:

*About 800 children 14 years old and under die from
drowning JUST IN FLORIDA PER YEAR!!!
*It is the leading cause of death in that age group.
*Another 400 are taken to emergency rooms
* 15% don't make it
* 20% suffer permanent damage
* Florida has 3 times the national average of drownings
* 60 - 70% of those drownings are in swimming pools.

We've have a law on the books since 2004 for residential
swimming pool safety, requiring homeowner to fence off
the immediate pool area with a 4' high gated fence.
Yet the stats go up every year.
There are programs in every county, if not most towns, teaching swimming and water safety. How can this be happening?
Most of these incidents are accidents due to negligence
or lack of communication between adults, who were to be monitoring these "babies". And to see the heart- break and anguish on these families faces on TV makes my heart ache. But it makes me more angry.

When my niece was born (she's now 14), I hounded my brother to teach her not go near the water unsupervised and how to tread it, should she fall in to a canal or pond or pool. He knew how to swim, but didn't like the water. His wife, my SIL, still does not know, after living here 20 years.
He put it off and put it off. Finally, when she was 3, I brought her here and she was scared to death. I bought
all the bubbles for her arms, colorful tubes and noodles, and we started on the top 1st step, letting her sit there, like in a bathtub, watching me have a good time. Gradually I worked her to standing and sticking her face in the water, then kicking, etc, etc. Then I started throwing a quarter at her feet, and she went right for it. I paddled her around, played "whale" with her riding on my back, then moved on to her jumping in, then taught her how to dive, and when not to.
It took alittle time, one whole summer, but it was the most rewarding thing I think I've ever done. And knew she would alway be safe.
We have water everywhere down here. How could any adult not give this to their child. Did I mention, this makes me so angry?
When my mother's kids were born, she, being a city kid, didn't know too well how to swim, and was scared to death to stick her head in the water, so she made sure someone else taught us when we were all 3 years old.

Please, please, let this be a warning.
If you know your kids can't at least tread water, even if you can't or won't go near the water yourself, find a way to give this lesson to your children. You can't always be everywhere, but you can give them the tools to help themselves.
I love the water and thank my mother every time I hear one of these tragic stories.

I apologize for my ranting, and we're already halfway thru the summer, but all the more reason to bring it up now.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

People are ignorant QS. There's now way around it.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Master Chef

I can understand the anger towards ones that are lax in watching, but, not all that drown are unsupervised. Even ones that can swim like a fish can drown. As my son learned when a close friend did 6 years ago, he was only 17 years old. Got a cramp in his side and went under, friends swimming with him were not even 5 feet away and they couldn't find him once he went under. It is a sad sad thing and everyone should be extra careful around water. My heart breaks evertime I hear about a child dying, no matter the cause.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

This is a frightening situation. It's something all parents can address and act to minimize danger to their children. Proper swimming and life saving techniques can save a lot of lives.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Thinking of that happening to my own kids makes me want to throw up. I flunked out of my swimming class three times but my mom kept making me retake it until I could stay afloat in the water and I'm very grateful to her for that.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

my son put up a fence around the pool itself. he has two grandchildren and intended to be super safe. also has a six foot fence around the yard '

several summers ago, his daughter-in-laws niece almost drown in a Jacuzzi . she is brain damaged and always will be, can't walk, sit up or talk at all.

her parents had left her with another relative, and no one noticed she had slipped away. no one know how long she lay at the bottom.

it is a tragedy that touched many lives. it is one that can touch anyone. so be careful and then be carefull even more.

babe
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Andy, you are so correct for correcting me.
Thank you for the PM. I have changed the numbers.
To all who' ve read already, please check my #s again.
It's still appalling.

Also, you can see the following:

www.poolalarms.com/pool_drowning_statistics.html

Miami, Florida Drowning Accident Lawyer :: Accidental Drowning Statistics :: Duck Key, Florida Pool Drowning Attorney

Drowning Statistics
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
When my mother's kids were born, she, being a city kid, didn't know too well how to swim, and was scared to death to stick her head in the water, so she made sure someone else taught us when we were all 3 years old.
I wasn't a city kid, but I was like your mother when it came to swimming, and I did exactly the same thing, and both my daughters, and the grandson I raised are excellent swimmers.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I agree! I'm not a great swimmer and I grew up on the lake. I am not that crazy about water, I usually just float on a raft when I'm in the pool. We have an inground pool in our backyard and it is totally enclosed with a fence w/lock and bushes all around. People don't even realize we have a pool. My dd and ds both took swimming lessons and are Red Cross certified. My grandsons have been taught to swim by their mother. They both know they are not to be any where near the pool unless an adult is around. Saying that we don't take ANY chances. We are always outside when they are just to make sure they don't find a way to get into the pool area. It is very scary!!

Barb
Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

we live very close to the water .. my kids started swim training at a diving
center when they were 2 ..
has to be done .. when i grew up in scotland ..
part of school was learning to swim .. in P1 .. which is kindergarten ...
no child should be unable to swim ..