I'm back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do know how to understand the music with the vocals as a whole. I've performed in a few operas, and watched a few. Last year I wen to see the Gurrelieder (sp?) which is about an hour and a half long opera in german. So to understand what is going on, I had to listen to the words, read the german and the english, and listen to the orchestra which I wanted to hear.
I actually just bought Mozart's Requiem the other day. This was a piece he was writing as he was dying. It's an orchestral/choral composition. It's also over an hour long. But it is great.

I see singing as just another instrument.

lulu if you are interested in bluegrass and are looking for new CD's then check out a band called yonder Mountain String Band. I think they are probably classified as "new grass" as opposed to traditional blue grass (don't ask me the difference), but they are simply amazing.

lulu said:
Yes, I got a few good blue grass links here and I am compiling a list of cd possibilities for my birthday in spring.

Bluegrass is beautiful music. If you want to listen to some exquisite bluegrass, get your hands on some of John Hartford's CDs. He's awesome and is a master on the 5-string banjo. Nearly makes love to it. His music is beautiful and his lyrics are wonderful stories. Sadly, he died a few years ago, so we won't be blessed with any new pieces by him. He was a multi-talented person. Even was a licensed riverboat pilot. Riverboat, as in paddle-wheeler on the rivers. Check him out at John Hartford - Welcome. Enjoy!

Yeahhhh Lulu's back!! And I missed your grand return for almost an entire day!! Shame on me!! Thanks so much for sharing the story of your version of "Tour de France" you must have had some great time (despite the poor kitties...), but oh my, I admire your courage to go through driving in that condition!! I am really glad that all is over now and you can relax and start enjoying the life in Milano for real, once everything settles down, how about a trip down to Rome???
3.gif

Yes please! In fact DH will be going to Rome office for a few days in Spring, so I think I'll join him, perhaps we can meet then? I want to do some sight seeing before it gets too hot....

BTW Urmaniac, on the subject of Italian driving I have to say that I really think my UK plates help, most of the time in the city people see I am a "tourist" and are significantly more patient with me than with each other! I stuck a post it note on my dash to remind me to pay extra attention to the blind spot on the left, b ut generally its been ok so far!

Yeah!! That will be way kewl!! Hopefully we will get the new flat we just acquired in shape by then to invite you two there, though there are some c*apload of work to do, but even if our new home is not ready, we would love to welcome you guys in our current tiny one, not too far from the termini station!!

Yeah, I am glad your foreign licence plate helps, and probably what you said is true. But be careful, as you said, it must be a little weird driving on the other side of the road, at least until you get used to it. And just don't pay attention if anyone gets impatient with you, you know what to say... "Vaff....":LOL:

Katie E said:
Bluegrass is beautiful music. If you want to listen to some exquisite bluegrass, get your hands on some of John Hartford's CDs. He's awesome and is a master on the 5-string banjo. Nearly makes love to it. His music is beautiful and his lyrics are wonderful stories. Sadly, he died a few years ago, so we won't be blessed with any new pieces by him. He was a multi-talented person. Even was a licensed riverboat pilot. Riverboat, as in paddle-wheeler on the rivers. Check him out at John Hartford - Welcome. Enjoy!
No slouch with a fiddle either. Aaaah, those were the goodle days. Lulu, for what it's worth, I highly endorse Katie's suggestion. My favorite is Aero Plain.

lulu said:
Yes, I got a few good blue grass links here and I am compiling a list of cd possibilities for my birthday in spring.

Hey lulu, good to see you back and thanks for the stories.

I am a long time blue grass aficionado, and there are many great instrumentalists in that genre. Two come to mind; keep an ear out for anything with Bela Fleck and Doc and Merle Watson, their playing will knock your socks off.

bethzaring said:
Hey lulu, good to see you back and thanks for the stories.

I am a long time blue grass aficionado, and there are many great instrumentalists in that genre. Two come to mind; keep an ear out for anything with Bela Fleck and Doc and Merle Watson, their playing will knock your socks off.
Two more excellent recommendations. Lulu's husband might actually approve of Bela Fleck. He's a band leader and banjo player with one foot firmly planted in the Jazz world.

skilletlicker said:
No slouch with a fiddle either. Aaaah, those were the goodle days. Lulu, for what it's worth, I highly endorse Katie's suggestion. My favorite is Aero Plain.

Ah, skilletlicker, you are so right. He's a master on the fiddle. Love "Aereo-Plain." We have just about everything he's done. "Mark Twang" is good, as is "Nobody Knows What You Do." I could go on and on, but you know what I mean.

Buck and I were fortunate to see him perform live several times. Mezmerizing performances and we were sorry when they were over. I still mourn his passing. At least we have his records to enjoy.

I agree with Beth, too. You can't go wrong with Doc Watson and company.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness thank you, I'll be googling them on Monday to check them out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom