"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm back

Hi, all. The surgery went well, although they couldn't remove my gallbladder laparascopically, so I'll be here for a few days. Anticipating this, I packed several books and magazines (including "Heat") and am listening to Porgy and Bess on the laptop. The doctor already said I could have anything I wanted to eat (although I'm still doing low fiber per the GI doc), so DH brought me a beef barbecue sandwich from the cafeteria. Should I put that in tonight's dinner thread? Nah.

Not too bad, considering.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

So glad you're awake and doing well enough to post! (Does that mean very little pain or large doses of morphine???) Sorry you have to stay in the hospital and I hope your doc gave you an attractive scar. How's the hospital food?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Congratulations, GotGarlic. You've crossed another hurdle. Best wishes on a trouble-free and speedy recovery.

Omigosh! Porgy and Bess is one of my all-time favorites. Enjoy it for me, too.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
So glad you're awake and doing well enough to post! (Does that mean very little pain or large doses of morphine???) Sorry you have to stay in the hospital and I hope your doc gave you an attractive scar. How's the hospital food?
They gave me a localized pain reliever - there's a catheter going into the area, connected to a device that pumps in the medicine. So it's just a little sore, as long as I'm not moving around

Hospital food? At first, they said to do a clear liquid diet, till the anesthesia wore off more. DH brought me a bowl of chicken broth from Panera. Then, while he was here, the surgeon came in and said I can have anything I want. The cafeteria downstairs was closing, so DH got me a beef barbecue sandwich. A friend came by earlier and said she would bring me lunch tomorrow - as it happens, I'm in a hospital across the parking lot from the medical school where I work, so I'll be working the phone tomorrow arranging lunch with friends for the rest of the week

The weird thing is, the hospital food looks great and smells wonderful, but it's absolutely ... tasteless. No flavor whatsoever. (This is the same one where I was in for 11 days last spring.) The breakfast isn't bad, though. Scrambled eggs and bacon, and a good biscuit with butter and jam. DH brings me coffee, though. Isn't he incredible? Last spring, he was here every morning at 6:30 with home-brewed coffee, my favorite creamer, and the newspaper.

He's the best. Speaking of which, I need help coming up with a suitable way to show how much I appreciate all he's done - one we can discuss here! I thought about a massage, since he had shoulder surgery a couple of months ago. What do you all think?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Congratulations, GotGarlic. You've crossed another hurdle. Best wishes on a trouble-free and speedy recovery.

Omigosh! Porgy and Bess is one of my all-time favorites. Enjoy it for me, too.
Thanks, Katie. I hadn't heard it before - it's really nice. Some neighbors are musicians, so I borrowed some light jazz from them to help my recovery
Old 12-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I think not moving around is a good plan, GG.

Your hubby does sound wonderful. Home-brewed coffee is the ultimate when you're in the hospital. You're right, he deserves a special treat. I think a massage sounds heavenly. (You know, you can get a his and hers massage package and share the good times.)

Take it easy even if you feel like you could do more. Major surgery is major surgery. We'll just keep you company here so you'll stay out of trouble.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad you've made it through..Keep resting and just enjoy the time to yourself..Hang out here, we love to keep you busy chatting..
kadesma
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Glad to know that it went well for you. They told me when I was on that auto pain reliever that the longer I was on it, the longer it would be before I could go home, so I switched to oral pain killers as quickly as I was able. Might be a different drug tho in your pump. It's just something they don't always tell you.

I think they do that to hospital food deliberately so that you don't want to stay too long!! LOL
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Terry, Kadesma and Bilby. I have even better news - the surgeon said I'm doing so well, I can go home this afternoon!

Terry, a couples massage sounds great. That can be a January blahs pick-us-up

Kadesma, hanging out here sure keeps my mind off my surroundings. This is definitely a cool place to be

Bilby, I don't know what's in the pump, but the doc said I can go home with it. It lasts about 3 days, so I'll go to his office Thursday to have it removed. Then they'll give me an oral med to have if I need it.

I can hardly believe I get to go home today, but I do feel pretty good, considering. Yay!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
lad you get to go home ! Just take it easy for a few days.