I'm bored with my houseplants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
so I'm letting them die. I have (had) spider plants, peace lilies, yuccas, Swedish ivy, and MIL tongue. I have one interesting weird plant that some one gave me that is surely rootbound by now but keeps on going (Ill try to post a pic so someone can identify if for me)

I have pretty good southern and western exposure to light.

Ideas?

I've got lots of orchids.... they are just wonderful plants. Throw out all the usual ones and go for orchids, Mudbug!

Oh, Izzy, I love orchids almost above all other flowers. But aren't they famously high-maintenance?

I have neither the time nor patience for anything hoity-toity.

I love orchids, Ishbel. I have a white Cattlea labiata in bloom right now.

Mudbug, the only way you can kill that Sanseveria (MIL tongue) is to let it freeze or over-water it. My husband calls them "Grandma Plants" because he says everyone's grandma has one. :LOL:

No, the varieties available in some nurseries nowadays are very, very low maintenance. Go on, you know you want to have exotic blooms in the house!

Hi, Connie. Yeah, the large shoots on mine are tipping over from neglect, but I note that three new shoots are attempting to survive.

Mudbug, how can you let your plants die?!:ohmy: Give them away to someone.

Anyway, orchids are nice, and there are many varities, though I never had much luck with them. This link below had some good suggestions, particularly the terrarium garden and carnivourous plants.

http://www.gardenersnet.com/hplants/

I've tried growing a lemon tree from a seed from a lemon that I bought, and it's actually growing!:LOL: Avocado pit is easy to grow too. Try pineapple too (thats explained in the link above). Herbs are good, not showy of course, but good for year round use indoors. Geraniums are boring, but they come in lots of colors and give you year round blooms indoors and are easy to grow. Cyclamens are really nice too.

Man I can't even get a spider plant to grow. I'd love to get that yucca though. My mom had one that I always loved, for many years until it finally died.

I agree with Amber; don't let your existing plants die!!! I am sure that there are friends/family that would like them. I've never tried orchids, myself, but do well with African violets here. I love geraniums but they just don't do well for me. You might take a look at the different kinds of begonias; my Mom loves the Angel Wing kind.

I just bought a chinese money tree and love it. It seems to be pretty low maitenence it has a clean look to it which I really like. Plus, what can it hurt, I'll be a little superstisious and hope that it brings good fortune :)

:) There are alot of neat plants you can have that actually clean the air in your house with plants such as bromeliads,spider,mother inlaw or snake plants,rubber,peace lily and so on they actually clean the air.

Go ahead. But just to warn you, if you wake up in the middle of the night and hear the quiet screams of, "Feed us! Feed us!" you should know who it is.

You've gotten some great new plant ideas here--I think I'm going to use some too as my supply has dwindled over the years.

I agree with the others though--don't throw out your old ones! Maybe your local library or a nursing home would like them.

Mudbug, if you don't want to bother with finding people to give your plants to, just set them outside on your sidewalk and put a sign that says "free" on them.

Bananabrain, again, I tried to give you karma, but it said I had to spread the love around first. But, your quips always make my morning!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. The dead and dying plants will not go to waste - I have a little cemetery called a compost pile!

Time for a trip to the garden center soon.

jkath said:
Mudbug, if you don't want to bother with finding people to give your plants to, just set them outside on your sidewalk and put a sign that says "free" on them.

Bananabrain, again, I tried to give you karma, but it said I had to spread the love around first. But, your quips always make my morning!
Flattered. :blush: Glad to make your morning.

Back
Top Bottom