I'm concerned about this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure I responded to this last night, but I see nothing went through.

I'm really glad to hear that everything went well. :cool:

:)Barbara

EB - great!!! Thank goodness.

Let me please reiterate that most mammy-grams are screening ones. You go into the room, they pancake the breasts, take some photos, and let you go.

The radiologist looks at the pictures later.

The radiologist upon looking at the images will then make a decision. That can range from no abnormality seen to that the pictures are very worrisome for cancer.

There is a numerical rating, by the way.

Call backs generally do not happen with the medium or higher risk studies. Those women are referred to their doctors for follow up, and often get a biopsy. Thank goodness today many can be done with a needle that leaves no lasting cosmetic mark.

But there are mammy-grams that do not achieve the criteria that immediately requires a biopsy.

They may have resulted from less than optimal images, other technical problems, questionble abnormalities that may just be artifacts, and just findings the radiologist does not feel comfortable with. But to make sure those things are not nasty, the woman is called back.

Call backs should be scheduled as soon as possible, clearly breast cancer is of concern and no one should ever have to wait a long time for the follow up exam.

Sorry I went on so long but it is something I know about.

The mammogram is a screening process. And it is not fully diagnostic. But the technique still getting better.

But all women should get the recommended ones. Breast cancer stinks, but a small one can generally be cured.

Sorry for the blog but breast cancer, caught early, can usually be cured.

And most early breast cancers today do not, repeat do not, require a mastectomy or permanent cosmetic damage to the breast.

Please, get the mammogram.

Yay EB.

Aunt Dot, those are indeed words of wisdom----1 out of 8 women today will get breast cancer. The best protection is yourself in doing the monthly breast checks and use hand lotion and lay in bed with a pillow under each side so it spreads out the breast tissue when you do the exam. Hand lotion not only feels good but it allows more tactile ease for feeling lumps or masses. Cancer feels like a hard pea that does not move. Many women have lumps and masses (I have 4 different kinds that are benign but I know what they feel like and I know where they're located esp. that time of the month when they hurt) So get to know your breasts and when you do detect something different or not right immediately schedule an appt. to see your dr. I've never known one not to immediately schedule an investigatory mam. and or ultrasound. Don't just depend on a yearly mam to clear you---your monthly exams are your first line of defense. Ok, I'll get off the soapbox....

Allow me to add another line of defense...your significant other. In my case...Buck. He knows the "girls" almost as well as I do and he can detect some irregularities about as well as I can. And, from a more objective point of view.

I know when I found my lumps, I didn't want to acknowledge them. Didn't want to believe they were really there.

Just another point of view you might want to explore.

EB,
I know you were worried as well you should be..Now that big sigh of relief..I am so happy for you...I pray this never happens again..Bless you.

kadesma

Just to add another perspective, and to try and allay some of your fears. Breast cancer is scary, but it does not have to be fatal. I had breast cancer 23 years ago. Because of the size and placement of the lump, I had a mastectomy. Then 9 months of weekly chemotherapy. I've never had a recurrence, and I am healthy. And, I insist on getting my mammograms 1/2 price!

Back
Top Bottom