I'm concerned about this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
Hi,
I had my annual mammogram this week and just received a call telling me something doesn't look normal and they want me to come back. I made the appointment and now I'm a little nervous. I just wanted to talk about it, because it's hard to discuss this with my husband.

i know this scares you. had that happen to me once. of course , in my mind was having a meltdown. they just hadn't really gotten a good picture and just did it over.

did they notify you right away or was it a week later? i felt that if it was life threatening they would tell u right away to come back in:unsure::unsure:

don't imagine to many dire things, till you find out.

thinking of u

babe

Essie, I understand how scary it can be. Quite a few years ago I found a lump in my right breast when I was taking a shower. It was on a Friday morning and I called the doctor immediately. I was petrified and didn't say a thing to Buck. I thought I'd just wait until I saw the doctor on Monday and, when I had more information, would then tell Buck. By late Saturday morning I caved and told him. I'm so glad I did. I would've been a crazy person by Monday. I was scared out of my wits. I know exactly how you feel. As hard as it may be, I encourage you to talk to your husband. The fear is lessened when you can lean on him.

Okay, after all was said and done. Had needle biopsies, etc. The doc found another lump when doing the biopsy. I can't even describe how I felt when he found the second one. Thought I was walking through a very bad dream.

After several weeks of tests, biopsies, etc. everything turned out to be benign.

So, don't immediately assume the worst. Just go with courage and support (husband). You can do it.

I still have the scars and Buck doesn't care.

It's happened to me twice now.

Once they saw what turned out to be "calcifications" (nothing to worry about) and the second time it was because of a blurry spot and they wanted to take a zoom shot (and saw nothing).

I figured that call-backs aren't at all rare.

Lee

It happened to me too..Odd roll of the flesh and ten years later, I'm here to tell about it...I know you are worried, but, if they really felt it was life threatening they would have insisted you come in right then,,You have my good thoughts and prayers..
Hang in there.
kadesma

Essie, it sounds like you had a routine screening mammogram. That generally means the radiologist, the doc who reads the images, did not see the pictures until sometime after the X-rays were taken.

As babetoo has said, the images may not have been optimal and they want to get it just right. And as has been said, call backs are relatively common.

If there was something terribly wrong they would have called it.

Now for some reason they just want a better look.

That is all. It happens with great regularity.

Disconcerting, worrisome, you bet.

Go to your appointment. If there is anything to be concerned about you need to know it now.

Many blips on the mammogram are benign. And those that are not, thank God, are usually found when they can be taken care of with minimally invasive procedures.

Not time to get upset but go and get the follow up.

No need to worry just yet. I had the same thing happen and on the second scan, it was clear. Sometimes it is a problem with the scan itself as opposed to actually being something. Please try not to worry, I know it is hard. But it could be anything and I will be praying that it is nothing more than a hardware glitch!

Keep us posted!

I just want to give you a great big {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Essie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} hug right now. Don't leave your husband out - he's your biggest fan and supporter.

For me it was just a weird shadow or something on the image. I had to go back in for spot xrays (can't remember the exact name, spot something) and a sonogram. It was nothing.

Definitely do go back for follow-up, but don't allow yourself to dwell on it. Do let your husband know. And know that we are praying for you.

:)Barbara

Awww, Essiebunny, you must be scared to death. But the girls here are right - most of the time lumps and shadows are not malignant. Also, mammograms are great but have a hard time with particularly dense breasts or if you have cystic breasts that fluctuate with your cycles. That's why they will often re-check suspicious areas a week later - so that you are at a different point in your monthly cycle. They may ultrasound your breast this time since it can be more sensitive in differentiating cysts and dense tissue from masses. But if it's still suspicious, they may try to do a needle biopsy. It sounds like that's a very bad sign but it isn't. Most needle biopsies are negative for malignancy. So the odds are in your favor. Still, it's very scary and it's good for you to look for support from your friends.

I also had a lump when I was 24. I had a needle biopsy but there was no fluid so it wasn't a cyst. The next morning, I had a lumpectomy. I insisted on having it done under local because I didn't want to wake up not knowing what I'd find. I was so scared. My surgeon sent the tissue to the lab right then and stayed in the OR with me still strapped down on the operating table while we waited for the results. 30 minutes later they called to say it was an abscess (probably from a cat scratch) that had solidified. Not even a benign tumor! I'm telling you so that you know that even if they want to do a biopsy, it doesn't mean the worst.

Keep us posted and lean on us for support. That's what friends are for.

While I have never had a breast scan or biopsy, I have had loads and loads of scans and biopsies on various other parts of my anatomy. The only times they have found anything at all to support their tests, the tests were actually confirmation tests as opposed to discovery tests. Don't worry about it until it has happened and just be glad that you got tested in a facility and by people thorough enough to want to investigate further. Let us know how you go. If you are able to confide in your husband, do so, otherwise he will wonder what you are stressing about and it is much more comforting to be able to get a real hug than a "virtual" hug.

Thanks all of you for you support.
The reason that it's hard to share with my husband is that he has a serious heart condition. I spend a great deal of time caring for him and I don't want to give him anything to worry about.

I had the test on Tues. of last week and got the call on Thurs. after it was read. My appointment isn't until a week from this Thursday. I hope this means that there isn't a lot of concern on their part.

Anytime something doesn't seem right, we do worry. I guess it's human nature.

Thank you, again. You have made me feel a lot better.

I'll let you know what happens when I go back.

Love to all of you.

Thanks to everyone who was nice enough to give me encouragement. I had the diagnostic mammogram this morning, and everything is normal. I will be able to sleep, tonight.

WooHoo Essie! I'm so glad to hear this! I've been thinking about you and wondering what was happening. This is great! I think you deserve to celebrate life today and I'm sure you'll have a long and peaceful night, girlfriend.

I know how you feel, E.Bunny, I got down on my knees and cried with joy and relief when the second image came back clear. So thankful that the pain of waiting is over with for you now. For myself as I'm such a worrier I never do a self breast exam except at the beginning of the week so that I can be seen and not worry over the weekend. If I do it on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday and find a lump which I have then I'm a basket case over the weekend. Great news!

Back
Top Bottom