"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
Contest Winner

Muscle weights more than Fat is so true, But Hey Keep it up, Barbara and I are in there with you. Beleive me when I say, No one here needs to lose weight, anymore Than I. And you know what, I will lose it, I stopped smoking and several other bad habits, Now I will Conquer this and So will You TexasGirl, I Know you will ! I should be on the Extreme Biggest Loser Show or Some show. I am That Big, But Man DO I look good ! I just want to get better .

If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Maidrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Master Chef
TxG: One thing that is so discouraging is that women get so tied up in exercise + diet = weight loss. Often with women it simply doesn't work that way. I don't know what your age is, or how overweight you are, or perceive that you are, or your health problems.

But, trust me, if you keep it up as a habit -- and trust me, I'm 50, I'm overweight (and I don't mean that crappy 10 lbs most women talk about), but I have exercised a lot most of my life. I over-eat, but it is almost all good, healthy food, and I exercise most days. No, I'm not slim. I'll never be 20 again. I also will never be bulimic again, and I'll never obsess on it again.

Just plug away. It isn't easy. Try concentrating on something besides the numbers. One hard thing about exercise is that we tend to go out there to exercise and find few women who "look like" us. And we give up too early. Don't let it get to you (easier said than done).

I cannot imagine in a million years staying on a single exercise machine for an hour! At the gym I sometimes go to, they don't even recommend it (too much repititive wear on specific joints and muscles).

I like a class where there is variety in movement. The class I now go to is a "Firm" type class on Mon; Pilates on Weds, and a half hour of step followed by a half hour of 'ball' on Friday. My instructor says she's determined to introduce a bit of yoga in there somewhere. The average age in the class is 50 ... and a ****ed good 50 if I do say so. I loved Jazzercize when it was available to me. Over the years I've tried most of it.

My message to you is that ... well, sorry, no, none of it made me remotely thin. But I continue to plug away. In all those decades of exercise I learned many things about companionship (don't underestimate this. Meeting an exercise buddy who wants to know where you were is a good incentive) and health.

I hope you succeed in your goals, but don't let the weight loss goal overwhelm the health benifits of exercise. So many women quit the exercise when they don't see the weight come off, and for most women it isn't that simple. Find something you enjoy doing as far as exercise goes, so you can stick with it, even when you do hit plateaus, and even years when you simply cannot lose weight. The exercise will be good for you, emotionally and physically.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
Master Chef
You guys make me feel so much better. Thank you!!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
You're doing great texasgirl & I know you'll get to where you want to be! Just remember, we're all here for you whenever you need a hug!
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef
I think it was Gloria Vanderbilt who said "nothing tastes as good as being thin". I wish I could remember that when I'm looking at all the stuff I consider so good. I suppose we keep looking for a magic cure that doesn't include starving ourselves.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #16
Head Chef
Toss the scale. =P Seriously, the numbers you see there do not paint a complete picture of the things that are happening to your body. They don't show how the shape of your body changes as you switch out fat for muscle, nor do they tell you how much of your fat weight you replaced with muscle. Nor does it show how your metabolism improves. Instead concentrate on how your clothes fit and the new energy you should be feeling. Keep it up the good work, TG!! Even if you don't "see" results as quickly as you'd like you're doing it right.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
texasgirl, everybody here has given you good advice. I can only add that even though I gained some weight over the summer, I continued going to the "gym" (Curves) and am still wearing clothes 3 sizes smaller than this time last year. Don't worry, you will get in a groove soon- the main thing is to not give up!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
Master Chef
All you of you are great!
I know that all I have to do to feel better is jump into DC!
Thanks, all of you!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I am right there with you and know how thinking you are not progressiong can affect your outlook. As I take time to read all the comments, they have been at the place you are now. Don't give up! That is just one of the mental battles you have to beat when you are attempting to change your lifestyle. It ain't easy. That is why I respect someone who keeps themself 'in shape'. It surely shows. Exercising is one way of beating depression. Something in the makeup of the body which protects your body from the effects of stress. how sad I have to learn this at my age. As my mother in law said t o me, not her son, one can't put old head on new shoulders. She was right about that. Keep it up texas, you never know when you might run into Jack Baur! Happy to hear about your accomplishment mudbug. I do remember when you started and you are sticking to it. Good for you. Claire, you wear me out. How do you keep all that going? That's what I call committment.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #20
Well the results should be how you look not how much you weigh! I have been doing weight training and my weight is slowly creeping up!