I'm fixing to lose my little old lady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
There's something wrong with Sheba, my 14 year old whippet mix. We came home yesterday and found her so dizzy that she is falling on her face and against the walls. I had to help her outside last night and she is staggering around like a drunk and her head is wobbling like she is fighting to hold it up. Her eyes are going back and forth real fast as though the room is spinning and she's trying to keep up.
I don't want her to suffer and I think I'm going to have to have her put down:( .
We have had her since my boys were 4 and 6. They are like that age right now, seeing her like this, and they are 18 and 20{aug. 28th anyway}:( We're so sad!
Has anyone else seen this in their dog? My husband is wondering if she has had a stroke.

Thanks Pd.
We do love her. She is the one we have had the longest and she's been a very good dog!! Very smart, she would never leave our yard, even with the fence open and she always greeted whoever was coming to visit.

I'm sure she loves you too.
Pets make great friends. I'm glad that
you had her for such a long time. Lots of love
shared by all of you.

I think your hubby is right. I haven't seen that happen in a dog, but I have seen the symptoms in other animals. Check her feet, the vet told me that when they have a stroke often their extremities are cold.

Texasgirl, I am so sorry to hear about this. I know the decision you face is a truly hard one. Talk to your vet to see if she is suffering at all, a good vet will tell you the truth. My prayers are with you.

Texas,
I'm so sorry about you baby, I know how you feel..I lost my little buddie about 4 years ago and even though I have Maggie,whom I love dearly, Max was my best friend...I'll be keeping you in my prayers. I hope things will be alright.
kadesma

oh texas i'm so sorry. i hate to say but i do think your husband's right. i've seen symptoms like that with my aunt's dog and it was a stroke. it's never easy to put down a beloved pet even if you know it's the right thing to do. 6 yrs. later i still cry over losing my boxer max. my heart truly goes out to you, your family, and sheba. :(

That breaks my heart it does......I had a hard time when my dad put my baby down....I cried and cried..this was just 2 years ago.....theres never an easy way to go about it but I dont think its fair if shes suffering

that's sad tex, and i'm so sorry you are losing your pet.:( pets are precious and it's hard to let go.

Thanks you guys!! I really appreciate it. I love that I can talk to you all. I don't have anyone in my family that really has animals like I do. Other than my boys, there isn't any sympathy other than saying, well, she lived a long life, and that's it.
My husband loves her, don't get me wrong, but, he was raised with animals and is used to them dying and he doesn't understand my tearing up or being so sad over it. I know that she is old and she has had a good life with us, but, it's like saying goodbye to a family member to me.
I guess I will have to call the vet tomorrow morning. This is going to be painful as H#ll
Thanks for all of your kind words.

6.gif
texas, I'm so sorry...i know what a hard decision you face. I've been there - my wonderful cocker got to the place where her life was miserable. I cried all the way to the vet - the vet and I cried together - and I held my sweet doggie while she passed away. I still cry when I think about it. Big hugs to you at this sad time.

I guess I will have to call the vet tomorrow morning. This is going to be painful as H#ll

yes it will texas. but we're here for you if you need us. luvs just went through it with one of her cats so maybe you can talk to her too

texasgirl, I was in your position 2 years ago when we had to put our lasa to sleep because of liver failure. Hubby and I cried and cried when we agreed to put her down so she would not suffer anymore. Yes, talk to your vet. I will say a prayer for your old lady,,,,,wasabi

TG, sorry to hear about your beloved pet. You are doing the right thing. My dad had to take our golden retriever, Sierra, to the vet in May to be put to sleep. It was the one of the hardest things he has had to do, but he just could not stand to see Sierra suffer any more. I will be thinking of you.

Many hugs, SC

I'm sorry to hear about your Sheba texasgirl. We have lost beloved dogs and cats, and I know how hard it is.

Barbara

Texasgirl I won't promise this will help, but you might try this, a baby asprin a day for 3 days 81 mg and a little pedialite. If it was a mild stoke this could help. I will pray for you. This option shouldn't hurt your dog. My Brother had some success with this.

Last edited:
My heart goes out to you Texasgirl, this is such a sad thing for you and your family to go through. Pets are like members of the family so we should mourn them as such, its hard when people are offhand cause "its just a dog" etc. My budgie that had been my mum's died last year at age 10 and I sobbed for days. When our Jack Russell had to move to Darwin cause the neighbours threatened to kill her, I cried for ages and she was just moving.
Talk to the vet, they will know what the best course of action in and know in your heart no matter what happens that Sheba has had a beautiful life with a wonderful family who loves her very much.

Maidrite, I will try this this weekend, if it doesn't look like it's helping, then I will do what I have to do.
She actually got up and went outside this morning. I had to help her off and on the porch, and she's still wobbling pretty bad, but, she doesn't seem to be as bad as she was yesterday and no so confused. She wagged her tail at everyone that got up to see her. I hope that is a good sign, but, I'm not going to let that keep me from letting her go if she is suffering.
Thank you, ALL of you!! You have made me feel better just being able to talk to you all. I've never had to put down any of my pets before. I guess with 6 dogs, I better be ready for it though.
Everyone, have a great day!!

Back
Top Bottom