I'm getting Lasik next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next Friday I am scheduled to get Lasik and to be honest, I'm kind of nervous. I went to a seminar about a month ago and actually got to see a procedure done live so it helped with some of my concerns. But my main concern is taking the precription of valium the doctor gave me in order to help me relax during the surgery. I'm very sensative to medicines and I'm not sure if I should take half the dosage. Whenever I take DayQuil I have to take half the dosage because I will feel drugged up:wacko: if I don't. So, if anyone has had the experience of taking valium please give me some input as to what it's like and if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

I would talk to the doctor about your concerns. If he tells you to take a whole and you decide on your own to take half then that could really mess things up. Let him know you are sensative to medications and ask for advice.

They said I should be okay but when my mother got her surgery done 6 months ago she told me it was pretty strong. I guess I'm more concerned about how it will make me feel. I've never taken medicine like that before.

It makes you feel very relaxed laid back. If sort of feels like you feel when you are about ready to take a little nap outside in a hammock on a nice sunny day.

I am med sensitive too- It always takes twice as long to get out of my system as it would anyone else. When I have had a couple of procedures done- I also spoke to my doctor about the possibilty of the meds/anethesia being too strong and was told don't worry about it- Sure enough I was "groggier" than expected and it took me a little longer to became as alert as they would have like me to but, I really didn't suffer any repercussions other than getting more sleep.Valium will only relax you-probably more than most but, I can almost assure you by the next day you'll be feeling better.Love and energy, Vicki PS Everyone I know who has had Lasik sugery is absolutely thrilled with the results!!

This is up to you and your doctor, but could you take half days before surgery to see how you react to it? If you dont feel too groggy then you should be fine with a whole one.

Okay, now I feel much better thanks to everyone's responses. I think I will take half and see how I feel before I take the rest. I can't wait to see without my glasses or contacts!:w00t2:

I too can only stress the importance rediscussing your concerns with the doctor and following through with his orders for a successful surgery. But ultimately I hope your experience is smooth. Good Luck!

s-n-s, good luck with the lasik.

i concur with gb. valium isn't a big deal (which is why it's so dangerous because of addiction. it's too easy to feel good at first, but i digress).
like gb said, it just kind of mellows you out. not like the crappy, kinda out-of-it way you do from things like antihistamines, or anesthesia. just like nothing bothers you, all's well, nappy nappy time.

before you go testing it, call your doc and talk to him/her about it. tell them your concerns, and see if they think a "test" would be a good idea.
generally, they prescribe a specific drug and dosage and expect you to follow orders, no monkeying around. unless they say it's ok to take more or less.
talk to them before you try anything, ok?

Wow, sounds like I need to talk to my doctor again. I obviously don't have any experience with medications for surgery since this is my first one ever. But it's really good to know that valium won't make me feel crappy. I will give the doctor a call to see what is best for me. I will let ya'll know how my surgery goes as soon as I can get on the computer and see clearly:)

After my first MRI in a very small machine when it was time for another one in a larger machine the Dr. gave my Valium to take one hour before...I slept through the whole thing and felt very rested.
Marge

I've had Lasik surgery, along with the Valium, and I'd say that they need you to feel relaxed. I would talk to the Dr. if you have concerns, but it will help them to do a proper job if you're not jittery.

BC

Well, my surgery went great on Friday and now I can see better than ever:shock:. As for the valium, I took the whole thing as recommended and it didn't even make me drowsy like I hoped it would. But it still helped with relaxing me before I went into surgery. I would definetly recommend Lasik and have loved the past few days I've been able to see without contacts or glasses!

Sugar N' Spice said:
Well, my surgery went great on Friday and now I can see better than ever:shock:. As for the valium, I took the whole thing as recommended and it didn't even make me drowsy like I hoped it would. But it still helped with relaxing me before I went into surgery. I would definetly recommend Lasik and have loved the past few days I've been able to see without contacts or glasses!

Isn't it great??

BC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom