"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm going to need your support next Thursday, June 18th.

Dear DC Family,

Next Thursday, June 18th, will be the first anniversary of Buck’s death and I’m trying to find a way to make my way through it and am asking for your help. It would give me great comfort if you would share some of your fondest/funniest/most memorable things you have in your heart about him. Doesn’t have to be elaborate. Just something you’d like to share and pass along to me. You can either post them here, send them via email or by PM. I hope my mailbox runneth over and that I’ll have many wonderful things to read. I'll save the emails and PMs to read next Thursday as I raise a glass of wine to him. He was the BEST.

I’ve made my way through this last year, stumbling at times, but here I am and I must continue. Anything else would be a dishonor to Buck.

Thank you for your thoughts. You all have helped me more than I can express.

MOM/Kate/Katie/Grandma (Yes, I have lots of names, just not wife anymore.)

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

sending you warm thoughts.

sorry i never had the pleasure of meeting buck.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

You will ALWAYS be his wife Katie!! His body is gone, but, his memory and his soul is still there in your heart!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie,
you have all the support and love I have to give. While I never had the pleasure of getting to know Buck..I do know that he must have been a wonderful person, because you loved him.. You two had a love like my parents did and that is a special thing and very rare..Remember it and smile..He will always be at your side. I'm here is you need me.
cj
Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i really did not know buck either. just go with what you feel , katie, no stiff upper lip. if you want to go to his grave and talk to him about your year without him. go. i did and it really helped me. i have kept a journal, in which i tell him what is going on. it really does help, have four full ones . people say let it go. you will never be able to let him go. my heart goes out to you
babe
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Buck was always making us laugh! He loved to play, but, he was also one of the first to cry with us too, when we had things going on. He is still the only friendship request that has gone untouched. I want it left that way too. It's a reminder of a lost friend that I will never forget!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i really did not know buck either. just go with what you feel , katie, no stiff upper lip. if you want to go to his grave and talk to him about your year without him. go. i did and it really helped me. i have kept a journal, in which i tell him what is going on. it really does help, have four full ones . people say let it go. you will never be able to let him go. my heart goes out to you
babe
Thanks, babe. You, and many others, have no way of knowing but Buck was cremated and the walnut box with his ashes sits on my bedside table. I do feel great comfort when I say "good night" to him each night and "good morning" when I awake. I can't tell you how many times I have had talks with him about how to do/take care of things. Amazingly, I've gotten answers. I think that's because I've talked it out loud with him and "heard" the solution as I spoke the situation out loud.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Everymom

Katie, I'll send you my remembrances via PM or email. I'll be sending you virtual hugs too.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Master Chef

support, prayers, & hugs!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Katie, I don't have that much to add but losing a loved one changes our life in many ways. I haven't lost a husband, but can only imagine how many times a day one would remember all the little funnies and also important subjects that were discussed. You have really been an example to all of us this year and I will certainly be thinking of you on Thursday. Remember the good times and savor them.