"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I'm really sad

We decided that the time has come to put my dog Tyler to sleep. We will be doing this Sat., But everytime I think of every step that we will go through that day I cry. We've had him 14 years and I can't imagine what it will be like around here without him. He's like my shadow, if I'm up moving around he's right beside me. I'm just so sad.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I dread the day I might have to put Aspen to sleep for whatever reason... I'm sorry you have to do this but just like our human family and friends, it's time to move on at some point. You will deal with your loss just like any other and remember Tyler for the rest of your own life.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ah honey, I'm sorry. I am so so sorry!! I don't know what to say to make it any better, just know that I'm thinking about you!!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Head Chef

It's the worst thing, mikki, I know. Terribly hard. But seeing your beloved pet continue to suffer is far worse.

Sending strength and positive energies to you!

Lee
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Oh mikki, I'm sad with you. Think of the good times. {{{{hugs to you}}}}

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sending hugs....
Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, mikki, I'm so sorry. I understand how you must feel.

Many years ago we had a 19-year-old Siamese kitty, Porky, who'd been with us since before any of the children were born. He was a feline angel.

When the children came along, Porky took care of them and loved them as if they were his. He let our daughter dress him up in her doll clothes and push him around in her doll baby carriage. He slept with all the children alternately. (There are 5 children, so he made the rounds at night.)

I did in-home daycare at one point and he played with and loved all the children, regardless of how they treated him. He was truly a lover.

When it became apparent that his health was failing and we had to consider saying good-bye, we had a family meeting to make our decision. Everyone agreed that he'd been too good a friend during all our lives to allow him to suffer. I couldn't take him to the vet. Buck did and brought Porky home to be buried.

When we were ready to bury him, Ryan, our youngest, halted the procedure and ran upstairs. He came back down with his prized possession, his R2D2 bath towel, to wrap the kitty in. It still brings tears to my eyes.

I'm sorry you're faced with such a heartbreaking decision, but your pet loves you and you love him enough to take care of him when his life isn't perfect.

Lots of love and hugs are sent your way from our house. Let the tears flow.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

I feel so sorry for you - you just go ahead and cry. You have to try to remember all of the love and happiness he brought into your life. Dogs just don't live long enough.
We had to put our 16 yr old cat down last March becuase he had cancer - it was the saddest day of my life, but I was glad for the time we had together.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

I'm so very sorry Mikki. I know how you feel. We had to do the same thing a few years ago with my baby when she was 13 1/2. It's so hard even when you know it's for the best.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

Hi Mikki.... this is a tough choice and I know how heart breaking it is. I would just focus all your love and attention on him now while you have him with you, try to do fun things with him, give him treats, I know how painfu this isl. PM if you like, I know you have my info to contact me if you want. My heart is with you. And my love goes out to Tyler...

I'm soooo sorry sweetie....