"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Nice save!!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That's great LT! It shows great initiative!

Barbara

Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

:c lap:
Old 04-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Way to go on the degree going through, that's awesome! (About the feta and basil as well as the degree).

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

If you do something good for entirely selfish reasons, then it is indeed selfish. But the thing is, you are in an environment that serves the needs of many. If you institute change for the better, you can be asured that you are not alone in needing that change. What you did was open a door. It needed to be opened. Once that door is open, it allows others to follow the same path.

Believe me. Universities and colleges are first and foremost, money making institutions. They would not have created the degree program if there wasn't a market for it. Professors like to get paid for their time, as does the rest of the staff.

Be proud of your accomplishment. You were'nt hurting anyone else in the effort of gaining your goals. Rather, you were doing something to improve your, and everyone else's opportunities.

If I write a cookbook, and a good one, that helps people, I am creating a win-win situation. I get to profit from my work. But so does everyone who purchases the book. That is not the same thing as selfishness. Selfishness is where you do something that benefits only you, at the detriment of others. You did not do that. You wrote the cookbook, so to speak. Good job.

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Wow!! Most impressive! I would never even think to do such a thing. I just would have picked something else to do.

Congratulations to you and your friend!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Congrats Lt!! and very well done!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Head Chef

Thanks. Im pretty excited. I remember times when i would call the school and they told me they lost all my records and i was MAD. What was tough was i knew what i wanted to be 7 months before i even started school. It hit me like a ton of rocks when i figured out what i wanted to be. So i had to wait 7 long months to start the program and then have it dropped. Thats when i did all of this because i was tired and frustrated. So i brought the program back with tons of help from my friend (my adviser). I cant forget my professors and the school staff.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Head Chef

I found out more information last night. We disscused everything as a class. Its a 2 year degree but taught at a 4 year degree level. When you graduate you will have meet the same requirements as a 4 year degree. Dont ask me how because i was not incharge of that part.

Its the school in the state of Utah to have this program and there is only one other school in the western united states to have it.

Every class is taught a lecture/lab style. that means the professor lectures half the time or less then you use REAL equipment. No sims. All hands on. For ever class you finish, you have to take a full semester Lab class. The lab class is nothing but hands on where you put everything you know from the previous lecture class to the test. You build and destroy and repeat until you eat, sleep and dream protocol mechanics or what ever lab you are taking. for example.

if i were to take my protocol mechanics class. i would take a full semester class of lecture with labs. After that semester i would take the required lab class and put everything from the protocol mechanics class to the test.

If any one here knows of a good way to get the word out about this program, let me know. we need to get students to be interested in this.

thanx guys for your support
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Server configuration and administration.
Network Operating Systems including Linux(Finally)
Client/Desktop administration
Business Law and security ethics
Certified Ethical Hacker certification.
IP Security
Firewall administration
Protocol mechanics
Network monitoring and documentation
Telecom cabling and wiring for physical hardware.
Scripting and programing
CCNA and CCNP
Wireless networks and communications
Disaster recovery and prevention
Unified communications
Data center administration including cooling, UPS, ROI, NAS
gosh will you come live with me please? we need you here, these computer things drive up bats.........