I'm so excited!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Well last night for the first time, i saw a glimpse of what my new degree i built for the college is going to have. My school will be the only school in the state of Utah to have this program. It all started when i found out that i wanted to learn some basic computer networking. There was no degree at the time so i was not interested in getting a degree. I had the philosophy that certificates were all i wanted. So i started taking my networking classes that i was not getting credit for because they were electives. Well one day out of no where they dropped my classes. So i was pissed. I gathered up some info from other schools, including my school and compared them. I found out that my school had all the classes for a network engineer to take but no degree. So i wrote up a mock up and turned it in. Two days later i was getting emails form professors i had no idea who they were. They loved the idea and voted me onto student council. I asked the head department if i am the only student wanting to do this. They said no. there are hundreds of kids who want to be a network engineer but I was the only one fighting for it. they told me that i really pushed the presidents buttons and burst his bubble. So 4 months later my idea has become a reality. The cool thing is, my good friend ended up on the council and they took half of his ideas and half of mine and put them together. My professor said that this is the first time that a student has done this and the first time they have built and implemented an entire degree in 4 months. i did not do this by my self. If it were not for the encouragement from my professor and parents and my anger from being pissed, it would have never happened. The faculty there has helped a bunch and actually accomplished their task. My friend on council with me just won the state competition for routing and switching. He is a smart man. He has helped with this degree a ton.

well here are some of the classes. i will post more when i find out. im just pleased and excited.

Server configuration and administration.
Network Operating Systems including Linux(Finally)
Client/Desktop administration
Business Law and security ethics
Certified Ethical Hacker certification.
IP Security
Firewall administration
Protocol mechanics
Network monitoring and documentation
Telecom cabling and wiring for physical hardware.
Scripting and programing
CCNA and CCNP
Wireless networks and communications
Disaster recovery and prevention
Unified communications
Data center administration including cooling, UPS, ROI, NAS

that is most of them. So i am pretty dang excited. I just had to post because i think its cool that one persons idea can change the entire outlook for thousands of others for the good. Now i just need to be patient with my self and do this one step at a time.

Way to go!! You keep up the good work, and be very proud of yourself!
thats my problem, i feel selfish for this because at first it only served me. I knew what i wanted and needed and i was not getting it and naturally when that happens with me, i will do pretty much anything to get that. I just didnt feel complete knowing that what i wanted possibly wont happen. i couldnt accept that. there is a difference between a want and a need but when they both become the same, its even harder to be patient.

Did you not say that there are others that want this degree also?! How was speaking your mind self serving when indeed it served others also?

i feel selfish for this because at first it only served me.

Well, stop it ;) See that "at first" part? It doesn't apply anymore. You did something that will benefit many other people, so you should definitely be proud of that. Way to go !

yourock1xg3.gif

Did you not say that there are others that want this degree also?! How was speaking your mind self serving when indeed it served others also?

Yeah i guess. I need to accept the fact that i accomplished a goal that i have been working on for about a year. I am still "numb" about it. I am excited but hard to feel it. Know what i mean?

Thanx and yes there are hundreds who want to do the same thing, but at the time i did not know that. LOL. I was mad because i knew what i needed and it was not happening. So i made it happen.

Thanx guys. it means alot to me to see support and to see something materialize from an idea. it was fun last night in class though. I was typing in a thread on this site, when my class mate looked over and started laughing when he read my post about stuffing chicken with feta and basil. It caused the professor to stop class. I did not find my post funny in any way, but he did. the professor asked what was going on and the class mate told him. i was ratted out by a older man. C'MON.. after a few people called me this or that and a few gilry names cause i cooked. I showed them some of my main dishes and some of the girls that are now my friends. yeah they shut up in a real hurry. My professor started talking about cooking. For 20 minutes we talked about cooking and grilling. it was funny

Way to go on the degree going through, that's awesome! (About the feta and basil as well as the degree:)).

If you do something good for entirely selfish reasons, then it is indeed selfish. But the thing is, you are in an environment that serves the needs of many. If you institute change for the better, you can be asured that you are not alone in needing that change. What you did was open a door. It needed to be opened. Once that door is open, it allows others to follow the same path.

Believe me. Universities and colleges are first and foremost, money making institutions. They would not have created the degree program if there wasn't a market for it. Professors like to get paid for their time, as does the rest of the staff.

Be proud of your accomplishment. You were'nt hurting anyone else in the effort of gaining your goals. Rather, you were doing something to improve your, and everyone else's opportunities.

If I write a cookbook, and a good one, that helps people, I am creating a win-win situation. I get to profit from my work. But so does everyone who purchases the book. That is not the same thing as selfishness. Selfishness is where you do something that benefits only you, at the detriment of others. You did not do that. You wrote the cookbook, so to speak. Good job.

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Wow!! Most impressive! I would never even think to do such a thing. I just would have picked something else to do.

Congratulations to you and your friend! :punk:

Thanks. Im pretty excited. I remember times when i would call the school and they told me they lost all my records and i was MAD. What was tough was i knew what i wanted to be 7 months before i even started school. It hit me like a ton of rocks when i figured out what i wanted to be. So i had to wait 7 long months to start the program and then have it dropped. Thats when i did all of this because i was tired and frustrated. So i brought the program back with tons of help from my friend (my adviser). I cant forget my professors and the school staff.

I found out more information last night. We disscused everything as a class. Its a 2 year degree but taught at a 4 year degree level. When you graduate you will have meet the same requirements as a 4 year degree. Dont ask me how because i was not incharge of that part.

Its the school in the state of Utah to have this program and there is only one other school in the western united states to have it.

Every class is taught a lecture/lab style. that means the professor lectures half the time or less then you use REAL equipment. No sims. All hands on. For ever class you finish, you have to take a full semester Lab class. The lab class is nothing but hands on where you put everything you know from the previous lecture class to the test. You build and destroy and repeat until you eat, sleep and dream protocol mechanics or what ever lab you are taking. for example.

if i were to take my protocol mechanics class. i would take a full semester class of lecture with labs. After that semester i would take the required lab class and put everything from the protocol mechanics class to the test.

If any one here knows of a good way to get the word out about this program, let me know. we need to get students to be interested in this.

thanx guys for your support

Server configuration and administration.
Network Operating Systems including Linux(Finally)
Client/Desktop administration
Business Law and security ethics
Certified Ethical Hacker certification.
IP Security
Firewall administration
Protocol mechanics
Network monitoring and documentation
Telecom cabling and wiring for physical hardware.
Scripting and programing
CCNA and CCNP
Wireless networks and communications
Disaster recovery and prevention
Unified communications
Data center administration including cooling, UPS, ROI, NAS
gosh will you come live with me please? we need you here, these computer things drive up bats.........:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom