"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Master Chef

I'm Still Alive!

Sunday, I ate half a raw Buk Jalokia Ghost pepper in one bite, and chewed it like bubble gum, and it wasn't even painful. It was just a little hot in the back of my throat, but not bad. I think I must be brain dead or something, from what I've been told about these pepper. Guess I'm not the guy you want to hand a pepper to and ask, is it hot? What might be mild for me, might scorch your taste buds off.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I'd be dead.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Remind me never to ask you that.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

chief, where was the pepper grown?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Cook

One hot pepper I enjoy is called a 'pizza pepper'. My cousin and I will take all different hot peppers, up to habaneros and grill them and just eat them. Now, I'm not sure if its because we are drinking at the time or what but the pizza peppers smell like pizza when they're being grilled.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Are you absolutely sure this was a ghost pepper? My guess is that it wasn't. I eat hot food all the time, and my experience with this chili is that even a small bite can easily bring a grown man to tears. And just three drops of GP sauce in a pot of chili brings about a noticeable increase in heat.

I wouldn't be so quick to write them off as "wimpy" without further exploration.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

if you like grilled peppers, matey, you'd love an abt (atomic buffalo turd).

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Are you absolutely sure this was a ghost pepper? My guess is that it wasn't. I eat hot food all the time, and my experience with this chili is that even a small bite can easily bring a grown man to tears. And just three drops of GP sauce in a pot of chili brings about a noticeable increase in heat.

I wouldn't be so quick to write them off as "wimpy" without further exploration.
steve, in knowing that the chief isn't one to lie, i thought along the lines that it truely was a bhut jolokia, but grown in a climate that stymied it's heat.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
steve, in knowing that the chief isn't one to lie, i thought along the lines that it truely was a bhut jolokia, but grown in a climate that stymied it's heat.
I got my peppers from a friend who grows them about 40 miles south of me. He got the seeds from a reputable site that also sells Trinidad Scorpions, and various specialty peppers. I'm pretty sure that they are the real thing. They certainly look the part from the pictures I've seen. Also, he dried some and gave them to me. They took my salsa to a whole new level, both in heat, and intensity. Sadly, I'm all out of the case of salsa I made.

I grew some cayenne, and a package of mixed peppers, including from the Scotch Bonnet family, and they were hot, not as hot as the GP though.

The fist time I tried this sauce called Jamaica Hellfire Sauce, it put little blisters on my tongue. I thought it was ridiculously hot. I can't hardly feel any heat in that brand any more. If Sriracha is any indication, that is similar in heat, at least to me, as ketchup.

I do know that there are other factors, such as the mineral content of the soil, especially sulpher, how much the plant is watered, how much it's stressed by wind, etc. So these might not be the hottest BJ's ever grown, but I personally know three men who nearly cried from eating them. I have to admit though, that they weren't used to eating capsicum rich foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
if you like grilled peppers, matey, you'd love an abt (atomic buffalo turd).
I could see me now, drinking beers and giggling like a little girl while telling people I'm eating buffalo turds!!!!!

I can do small bites of the scotch bonnet peppers and the habanero peppers but I turn bright red and sweat like crazy. It's fun to do sometimes but I couldn't do that all the time.